Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Reflection 150 series - How was weight saved

Hello,

My wife and I are going up to Dixie RV in Florida to look at the new 230RL which should be a good match for our RAM 2500 with a payload capacity of 2200lbs. One question. How did GD make this lighter? What compromises were made? Would this 5th wheel be unsuitable for boondocking?

Thanks
    Rgds
    nonrev

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not specific to the GD 150 but in general the light weight fifth wheels as compared to their heavier cousins lose the weight from using lighter building materials. The roofs and floors may use 3/8 instead of 1/2 OSB, the units will have fewer slideouts, be shorter in length and the frames may be less robust. The ceiling may be lower and may not have as much furniture. Maybe fewer cabinents and a floor plan which puts more weight towards the rear of the RV and less on the pin (which reduces payload weight in the bed of the truck). All little things that add up to several hundred pounds of weight reduction.

Also many have discovered that units advertised as 1/2 ton towable are really not 1/2 ton towable as the weight of the RV will exceed the towing/payload capacity of the 1/2 ton pickup. Having said that, each truck manufacturer will build a 1/2 ton pickup that can tow a pretty good sized RV and that's where the RV manufactures will hang their hat on when advertising their specific RV as being "1/2 ton towable". What is not mentioned is the fact that the 1/2 ton pickup that can tow this thing would be a regular cab, few options, possibly needing the heavy duty towing package, etc. Not many of those trucks on the road or on dealer lots.

So one really needs to look carefully at the weight specifications of the particular "1/2 ton towable" rv and the towing/payload capacity of their particular truck to make an informed decision. Yes it can be done, but not without a lot of careful research.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nonrev321 View Post
    Hello,

My wife and I are going up to Dixie RV in Florida to look at the new 230RL which should be a good match for our RAM 2500 with a payload capacity of 2200lbs. One question. How did GD make this lighter? What compromises were made? Would this 5th wheel be unsuitable for boondocking?

Thanks
    Rgds
    nonrev
    rgds - minnow offered very good feedback on this item. I would also suggest that you contact Bill Martin, Director of Marketing and get it straight from the horses mouth, if you will. Here is his forum profile page link with contact information: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...8-GDRV-Mr-Bill

His cell # is : 574 312 5215.......he is great to talk with and will get the information you wish.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Haven't done the math yet but I know my payload is 2200lbs and my truck is a 3/4 ton and rated to tow 17K so, hopefully, the math works out good

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design and I asked about the 290bh and they said the frame is 8 inch
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel CC SB SRW, payload 3680
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233
    Next Year - Reflection 340RDS