User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unsure of purchase

Up until this weekend I was going to purchase a Grand Design Reflection 311BHS 5th wheel. I went to see one this weekend and they had a 2020 Grand Design Solitude S Class 3740BH. The storage between the two is astounding. I fell in love. I wasn't uneasy about learning to haul the 311 at 37'6", but the 3740 is 40'6". It's making me swallow a little harder.
    Can anyone give me the good the bad and the ugly of hauling a larger trailer and how hard will finding places to park.
    Case24

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what happens when you browse...

Is 2.5 feet more noticeable - sure. Will you need to learn to maneuver it - sure. However, you're going to be developing the same fundamental skills towing a 37.5' or a 40.5'.

The additional length will present more challenge to backing, but again you are going to be developing fundamental skills. You may never actually develop the flawless jack with beautifully choreographed chasing in an effortless flow, but who care really? If you have to take multiple adjustments to land it, so be it!

Will some more campgrounds be inaccessible to you at the additional length - certainly. I personally find more limitations in the available overhead clearance for campgrounds though. However, if you're a full hookup camper you'll easily find campgrounds, especially if you consider that the biggest 5th wheel segment in a number of years is the rig that are 40+ foot. Same is true if you're an open country boondocker.

Good luck with your choice! BTW - we completely agree as our S-Class has immense storage and CCC!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pick the 3740, it's a very nice trailer. I've heard it has a heavy pin weight so make sure you have enough truck. The long trailer is no big deal after enough practice. I'm at 43'4" with mine and a long bed crew cab truck. It felt big initially, but now it's no big deal and I can park it anywhere it needs to go. Even in tight campgrounds I've been able to park it, just need to practice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pick the trailer based on your needs.

Once you go over 30ft, you knock yourself out of a lot of the older parks so 311BHS (overall length of 33FT) or 3740BH are both too large, so pick what you like. I myself have a 369RLS which is 39FT overall and 42ft overall with my kayak rack and I have not regretted the extra length!!! There are so many other parks that can accommodate this size of trailer and even in some of the older parks, you can usually find a site (if the staff is willing to consider it) without trees or other obstacles to back the trailer in with the rear end overhanging the pad. Main thing is to pick a floor plan and size of trailer that you like. Finding a park is secondary. Pick a trailer comfortable to your living style and length of travel. We live in our trailer for 6 months and need the space for all of our stuff and some privacy, at times

You will learn the "feel" of your trailer and truck/trailer combination as you drive and gain confidence the more you drive until it becomes second nature to you. Oh and yes, you will ing your truck an d trailer - part of the learning curve

As far as puling the trailer. Ay of the 1 ton trucks will do. They all can accommodate more pin weight than the "1 ton" name implies. A long bed is the best way to go, otherwise buy an automatic sliding hitch. When buying the truck, make sure to size your options for the trailer's pin weight and overall weight. The dealer will explain to you the differential and other options that affect the pin and trailer weight. Even Single rear wheel trucks can pull these RV beasts. I'm very comfortable driving my 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 (Single rear wheel diesel with 4.10 axle ratio) and it feels very easy (after years of experience); however, it's maxed out for my trailer. By comparison the 2019 models can pull double the load and consequently will be even easier to drive then my truck, so its a good time to buy a truck!

Pick the Solitude that you would like- its a great product. If you can afford it, don't skimp $$$ and buy all the options you want because its cheaper than trading it in 2 years down the road for the options you didn't take. Unlike the other RV manufactures, Grand Design RV will always be there to support you and your trailer so you will get many years of enjoyment from it so get what you want! I know this from experience because I traded my last trailer after 3 years due to lack of support and bough my Solitude with all the options and was my best decision ever!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're at 37.5' an extra 3' won't make any difference except maybe where you park it at home.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for you replies.
    I checked with a trailer mechanic and all that he does is fix trailers. He been in the business for years. I talked to him about my truck which is Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel 4dr Crew Cab Short Box srw. I will be installing the automatic sliding hitch. He told me I would be ok using my truck. As we will be full timing the extra storage made me light up like a Xmas tree as I will not have a house or apartment to return to. We will stay south from Nov 1 to Apr 24th and return to Canada and stay in another park from May 1st to Oct 26th. We are jumping in with both feet. So all your comments were great.
    Has anyone gone to any of the classes they teach about RVing? Is it worth it?
    Case24

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with comments above regarding the difference in managing a length of 37' versus 40' being minimal. 2,900 pounds pin weight for SRW is something worth reading more about.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply I do take all the information I get off the forum and give it weight in my decisions. I was really concerned about pin weight but the guy I know who has worked on trailers for 25 years did the calculations and he said I will be ok. I took in all the printed info from my truck using the VIN and the brochure of the trailer with its weights. I asked him about a dually and he said it would give a little bit more stability but not a necessity.

At these courses they offer do they allow you to drive trucks and trailers to practice?
    Case24

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're asking if you should get the Solitude or the Reflection? Solitude is the right answer especially if you're going to be full time. I recently upgraded to the Solitude and absolutely love it as does DW.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be ok with the SRW, but as "your guy" noted - it will not be as stable. There will be more give up in the side walls of the SRW but virtue of only two rear tires. That does not make it unbearable, just somewhat of an annoyance. Also, if I were going FT - Solitude man - no question!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast