User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cast Iron cooking

While I've never been one to shy away from a meal, either cooking or eating, I've always been hesitant to use cast iron. I've heard all the negative things about them, like: you'll get lead poisoning or they rust so easy or they are so hard to care for.

Recently, my Dad introduced me to the benefits of cast iron, so I went out and bought a couple skillets. I admit, those skillets are the best cooking tools I've bought in a long time!

In my preparation for the summer camping season, I've been saving all my bacon grease in anticipation of some campfire cooking.

Anyone use cast iron, and if so, what recommendations/suggestions do you have for campfire meals?
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cast iron is great stuff. I have a 12" skillet that my grandpa cooked in on his old Coleman stove that was passed on to my dad and then me. I've eaten many meals fixed in that old skillet, and have cooked for my kids and grandkids in it.

You need a camp dutch oven too. The kind with legs. I have a 2qt/8in and an 8qt/12in. The small one is great for a campfire cobbler for the two of us. Just dump a can of pie filling in the bottom, then dump most of a box of cake mix on top of it. No mixing. Cut up some chunks of butter on top of that and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. You can expand the recipe for a larger group and bigger oven. Apple, cherry and peach all work very well. I'm planning to try cherry pie filling with chocolate cake this summer. Saw the suggestion online someplace over the winter.

The bigger one can make biscuits, stews, chili and a host of other things. Cooking in them can become an obsession.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been using one for awhile. My mother taught me how to season it (I'm 62 now so it was a long time ago). One thing you don't want to do is clean it with Dawn, as that's a SERIOUS degreaser; you lose all your seasoning. I wash it with hot water, dry it and then apply a light coating of Wesson cooking oil on a paper towel around the whole pan.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several of us on the forum from South Louisiana. Cast iron is part of our cooking DNA. We have lots of cast iron cookware but I mainly use a large dutch oven, large skillet and one small skillet

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cast iron is the only way to go!!!!

+1 on the Dutch oven cobbler

I have a few different pieces I've collected over the years. I have 12" skillet, a12" Dutch oven whose lid can be flipped over to use as a skillet, i have a10" pot w skillet lid too.

Probably too much. A regular skillet and Dutch oven are the most used.

Never ever ever use soap on them. To clean the if food is stuck boil some water in the skillet, dump it and wipe it down.

If it's got rust you can google how to get it back to good workin order. I use a potato and sea salt method.

After each use make sure to rub some oil in to the skillet, but not too much bc it will get sticky when it dries

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of somehow replacing the woeful outdoor cooktop that came with the trailer with something like the Iwatani 15k btu propane cooktop. You'd have to fab up some kind of heat shield to protect the trailer from the heat and possible flames. Then you can get a carbon steel wok and cook like a pro.

Or just set it on a table top and cook there.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00522F2R2...a-350902916815
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dutch oven cooking is the only way to go! Even when we tent camp, we usually bring the DO's. Couple of years ago I even baked a chocolate double layer cake in my 12" deep DO. Came out perfect. Just as has been said, when you wash it, no soap. I use the hottest water I can handle and if necessary a plastic veggie brush. Make sure the cast iron is dry before oiling. I set it on the stove for a few minutes to evaporate any water and get the iron not too hot to handle, but hot. Then oil it. Now I'm getting hungry...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cast iron when taken care of properly is the most durable cookware there is. When done rinse with hot water and coat lightly with oil. Doesn't get any easier than that. I use the non abrasive sponge scrubbers if the going gets tough but most of the time hot water and a paper towel will clean it up. Never had a rust problem.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't beat cast iron! Love my Dutch oven, there really is nothing that you can't make in one that you can make in the kitchen at home once you learn how to work the heat. I've made a cheesecake in the middle of a horse pasture mine. Amazed the ladies with the reenactment that use them all the time. Just search Dutch oven recipes, lots of Boy Scout sites with loads of great easy fixings. As already mentioned, be sure to get one with the legs and lip around the lid. Keeps it off the coals and the ash out of the food.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THere are a lot of info on caring for cast iron. I grew up with only cast iron in our home If you use it daily you wash with hot water and a little dawn, you must rinse and Immediately place on fire to get all the water out of the iron pot, then you have to coat pot with vegetable or canola oil while pot is hot. I have done this all my life over 50 years and my pots are jet black and slick as teflon.

Now if you only use an iron pot every now and then , caring for them is different and that is what you will find on the internet. Most people who claim to know how to care for cast iron did not grow up in a cajun home like I did - so their methods are different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast