User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

full time questions

My 29rs is now sitting in my backyard with my girlfriend living in it.

So I have a few questions:

1. I keep hearing to don't tell your agent that it's for full time use. So what happens if a strong wind blows it over? I can't exactly stand it back upright and take it to the agent's office. If the awning gets torn up you could take a pix but if a tree falls on it or some other major issue I don't exactly see how this works.

2. Registration- If I don't plan on moving the RV do you still register it every year or just wait until you decide to move or sell it? Here in Texas, RV's require an annual inspection so this would require disconnecting everything and taking it to town. What would be wrong with letting the registration and inspection expire and then renewing it sometime down the road?

Thanks
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UH... Girlfriend???

As for not paying the tags on it.... check with your state Motor vehicle...
    But I know lot of states... if you let it lapse then try to pay for the tags they will make you pay the past years, PLUS fines/late fees for not paying the tags.
    Here in California our DMV will garnish your wages if you do not pay!!! Don't Ask how I know!!!!!!!
    Plus I am sure you can not get a non-op status on a trailer.

You are right do not tell your insurance agent you have someone living in it full time, unless you state you are living in it!
    Not so much what if the wind knocks it over on your own property, I am sure the insurance company will not make you upright it and take it in.
    BUT what if a fire gets started by cooking or a heater... there will be a Fire investigation by your local Fire Dept. and the insurance company will get that, and it more than likely show someone was/is living in it!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Girlfriend and I have both been living alone for over 20 years so we figured it was too soon for her to move in. So I set my RV in the backyard and supplied it with all utilities.

From what I see about Texas laws, there is no penalty for late registration if you have a valid reason. Valid reasons include "storage of the vehicle". Since I am buying another RV for camping use, I can just say that I have had this RV in storage and have decided to sell it. If they say that's not a valid reason then they will make me pay for registration back to the point that I let it expire. As far as I can see that is the only penalty

So I either need to tell my agent that I am living in it? Or can you get her own insurance on it even though it's my RV?
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it will be a few years before you sell it! I would stop paying for the tags!

You would have to transfer ownership over to her then she could get renter type insurance for fire and theft of personal items.

But being parked on your property I am sure your homeowner policy will cover the other damage.

I would say you should talk to your homeowner insurance agent. Check with local housing laws about someone living in a Motorhome/Trailer on your property, some states require permits others do not allow it at all(California is one of those).