Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty Concerns for Full Timing

Hello all! Planning on going FT in the next few months. After lots of research and looking at various brands and models, the Grand Design Momentum (397TH or 399TH) are currently at the top of our list. They seem to be the best quality for our price range.

Being the diligent and ever planning person that I am, I read the owners manual and warranty completely (not done yet, but I got as far as the warranty so far), even before buying.
    Everything I've heard and read regarding full timing in a GD indicated there was no voiding the warranty by using it full time. However, this is from the Warranty (Rev0217):

ONE YEAR LIMITED BASE WARRANTY
    What events discharge Warrantor from the obligations under this Warranty?
    Misuse or negligent use, abuse, or accident, neglect, unauthorized alteration, failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance including reasonable periodic inspections of the recre- ational vehicle and/or use of the recreational vehicle for rental, business or commercial use or any other use other than to use the recreational vehicle only for personal and occasional use, shall each discharge the Warrantor from any obligation under this Warranty. The recreational vehicle is designed for recreational and personal use.

THREE YEAR LIMITED STRUCTURAL WARRANTY
    What events discharge Warrantor from the obligations under this Warranty?
    Misuse or negligent use, abuse, or accident, neglect, unauthorized alteration, failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance including reasonable periodic inspections of the recre- ational vehicle and STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS and/or use of the recreational vehicle for rental, business or commercial use or any other use other than to use the recreational vehicle only for personal and occasional use, and not for continual or permanent occupancy, shall each discharge the Warrantor from any obligation under this Warranty. The Structural Components in the recreational vehicle is designed for recreational and personal use.

Again.. the feedback I've received from owners on other forums contradicts this. Seems maybe GD is being generous by going beyond whats in writing. But I sure would rather have a warranty that doesn't explicitly preclude full timing as this one does. I really like the GD, but don't feel comfortable with that verbiage.

Perhaps someone from GD can weigh in here?

Any feedback is appreciated.
    -chad

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Chad - Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

I moved your thread to the "Tech Corner" of the forum. GDRV only monitors the "New Feature Recommendations" and "Tech Corner" sections of the forum. Hopefully, they will read your question and respond.

Jim - Moderator

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Hi Chad - Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

I moved your thread to the "Tech Corner" of the forum. GDRV only monitors the "New Feature Recommendations" and "Tech Corner" sections of the forum. Hopefully, they will read your question and respond.

Jim - Moderator
    Thanks, Jim!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    following thread
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We fulltime in a 399 and are very happy with our purchase. We have gotten a few repairs done through warranty both directly working with GD over the phone and a local GD dealer. On all occurrences I informed them i was living in it fulltime and either needed a part quickly or couldn't leave the camper at the dealer ovetnight. None of the claims were void due to fulltime use. Good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design is very good at supporting their units. I love the fact that they will send me parts directly for me to fix issues. We've only had to leave the unit at the dealer once, and it was for an issue that I didn't have the tools (forklift chief among them) to fix. We full-time in ours and they have been great.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Our units are for sustainable living and you can choose to full time but please keep in mind if you choose to full time you will want to have a backup plan in the event of a major repair where it will be required to return for service. You do have the options of mobile service and we work with anyone who is willing to work with us, except Camping World. Service call fees for mobile service are only covered if the unit is down to a defect but otherwise they are customer responsibility. We cover all parts and labor under the warranty no matter who you choose.

I hope this helps you make your decision!

Missy
    Mailing & Shipping Address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 11356 CR 2, Middlebury, IN 46540
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

Contact us:
    - Call Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Send a fax to (574) 825-9249
    - Or email: [email protected]

*For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number.*

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all very good feedback! Thank you!

I especially like willingness to work directly with customers willing to make repairs themselves as I plan on becoming INTIMATELY familiar with whichever rig we chose and doing repairs myself unless completely impossible.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadflorian View Post
    This is all very good feedback! Thank you!

I especially like willingness to work directly with customers willing to make repairs themselves as I plan on becoming INTIMATELY familiar with whichever rig we chose and doing repairs myself unless completely impossible.
    I can assure you that there is NO OTHER Manufacturer that is more willing to work customers than GD. Living full-time in our 375re, myself or RV have never been back to dealership since purchase 2 years ago. Had some minor problems and all handled through customer service sending out parts. After almost 1 year out of warranty, GD did a good will jesture and paid for a repair although 10 months out of warranty. Best customer service in the business.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    I can assure you that there is NO OTHER Manufacturer that is more willing to work customers than GD. Living full-time in our 375re, myself or RV have never been back to dealership since purchase 2 years ago. Had some minor problems and all handled through customer service sending out parts. After almost 1 year out of warranty, GD did a good will jesture and paid for a repair although 10 months out of warranty. Best customer service in the business.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Based on personal inspections of units and feedback here and other forums, we are 99% set on GD. A rep from GD is supposed to contact me soon to explain that wording in the warranty. I will follow up here after that conversation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast