Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dead battery

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dead battery

2017 Momentum 328 left power switch on for 2=3 wks. Now have no battery power. Tried hooking to tow vehicle for 10=15 mins. No help. Any suggestions??

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are draws on the battery even when the switch is off. For example, the l.p. gas detector. The battery will normally drain in a few days even with the switch off. 15 minutes connected to the truck will not give much of a charge. If the battery was fully depleted, it may not be recoverable. Try plugging the trailer in for 8-10 hours and see if it recovers.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the negative battery cable when storing. Battery will hold for a long time. Could put a secondary disconnect on the negative too. Good batteries are expensive and draining for a long period will kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the fast response. I'll hook my portable generator up. I hope the 110 for many hours will give enough charge to start the RV's generator. That should charge the battery. If not, I'll have to replace the battery. I hope that will be straight forward!

Thanks again,

Steve

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    There are draws on the battery even when the switch is off. For example, the l.p. gas detector. The battery will normally drain in a few days even with the switch off. 15 minutes connected to the truck will not give much of a charge. If the battery was fully depleted, it may not be recoverable. Try plugging the trailer in for 8-10 hours and see if it recovers.

Jim
    Is this different for different rigs? We've never had the battery drained when we've gone back to hook up for our next trip. The time in storage has been anywhere from 3 weeks to a couple of months. This last time from beginning of August to last week in storage. Still have plenty of life in our battery.

We do turn off the battery switch and remove it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the mistake of not turning the switch off. Anybody know the type of battery needed and where to buy one?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only way to know for sure is to pull the disconnect, and then put an ammeter in line to see what the current draw is. But, typically it is the gas detector, DVD player and CO detector. On mine the draw is 15ma, which theoretically will drain a 100 amp hour battery completely in about 9 months. Batteries self discharge by themselves, also - the warmer it is the faster. But most should easily last a minimum of 3-4 months (and likely a lot more), and still have enough power for a reasonable bit of use - open the slides, turn on a light or two, etc. before plugging in to recharge. If it was dead after only a few weeks, either something else got left on (lights?), it wasn't charged when disconnected, the converter wasn't fully charging...or the top most likely by a wide margin- bad battery.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check this thread in the morning. I hope someone can tell me the type battery needed and where I can buy one.

Good night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve shum View Post
    I'll check this thread in the morning. I hope someone can tell me the type battery needed and where I can buy one.

Good night
    I had this happen at the dealer. They left the batteries (I have two 6V combined to make one 12v system) for about 10 days without shore power and we had to jump start it like you would your car. I then got enough charge to crank the generator and ran it for about 30 minutes before leaving the dealer. Luckily, the batteries were able to recharge, thank goodness, and it had not been drained so much there were ruined. I now carry a car jump starter in my truck (just in case).
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve shum View Post
    I made the mistake of not turning the switch off. Anybody know the type of battery needed and where to buy one?
    Check the current battery, it will likely have the size indicated on it. Size 24 or 27 are the most common. Here's a web site listing the typical outside dimensions of various battery sizes. https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...oup-sizes.html Verify that the one you end up buying will actually fit AND has the same type of terminal connections yours currently has. Any 12v battery that fits will work....but....

Bigger is generally better - they will last longer. Bigger usually also means more expensive. But, there is huge variety in costs, so don't assume more $$ directly equates to better.
    Ultimately you want a true deep cycle battery. If is says "starting" or "dual purpose", it won't have as much available power. Batteries may have "CCA" ratings, that are a measure of how fast they can dump their power to start an engine - but those batteries typically are not as able to supply power for long periods. Look for a "Reserve Capacity" ("RC") or Amp Hour (AH) rating, which is a measure of how long it will last with a fixed load. Note that those two ratings, while they measure the same thing, are a bit different, so you can't directly compare RC to AH when looking at different batteries. A higher number for either is better, of course. If it doesn't have an RC or AH rating on it, it probably isn't one you want. From there it is a matter of cost/highest power/longevity. Some love the Costco/Sam's Club/Walmart offerings. Those may not last as many years, or be top end in power availability, but typically you can buy two for less than the cost of one of the very top-of-the-line brands. "Optima" markets themselves as a top-of-the-line, but when you start looking at numbers, they aren't all that good from a power output stand point, but are at a premium price. Trojans are highly regarded as top of the line, but can be hard to find, and are priced accordingly.
    And then there is upgrading to 2 6v batteries. Specifically designed for long power output. But, if one fails nothing works. And they might be problematic to fit into the space available. But the cost to power ratio is pretty good to excellent!
    As for where to buy - almost any place that sells batteries will likely have something. The watchword though, is "deep cycle". Don't worry if it says Marine on it - boats have the same needs as RV's. Do a bit of web research on local stores to see what they offer and the specifications (Costco, Walmart, Batteries-Plus, Sears, local battery places, etc.) and find one or two that meet your price/power desires, give a call to make sure they are in stock, and go get it!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast