Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dead battery

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to determine if you have battery drain if you don't own a multi meter is take a 12 volt bulb and put it in series with the positive lead while it is disconnected. If you have current drain the bulb will glow. I took an old tail light apart and used the socket and bulb to connect between my disconnected positive lead and had enough current to light the bulb. It was very dim but showed me current was still flowing with the big switch off. So what is the point of having a switch??? You can buy quick disconnects at Wal Mart that attach to the battery. Simply take off one lead and your battery will stay up for a long time.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue last summer and mounted an additional group 24 starting battery detacated to the generator you can either put it on a isolator for charging or I put a 110 receptacle in the bay that I hook a battery tender to when it's plug in to shore power or the generators is running it charges and it's worked well all this summer. You also have to make sure you vent the new battery box to the existing I just tee'ed mine in.
    2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4 x 4
    Bilstein 5100 Series shocks / Air Lift Bags
    B & W Turnoverball with Companion 20k
    2016 Momentum 350M
    2019 Honda 1000-5 Deluxe

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob & Joni View Post
    I had the same issue last summer and mounted an additional group 24 starting battery detacated to the generator you can either put it on a isolator for charging or I put a 110 receptacle in the bay that I hook a battery tender to when it's plug in to shore power or the generators is running it charges and it's worked well all this summer. You also have to make sure you vent the new battery box to the existing I just tee'ed mine in.
    I have done this on all the trailers I've had since most of our time in them is dry camping . It make life much easier when you wake up the a dead battery !!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info. Thank you. I jusst hooked my portable gen to shore line. My lights work! However, if I disconnect shore line and try to start my generator, I don't have enough battery charge. Will I hurt anything if I start my RV gen with the portable still attached and running?

Thanks again,

Stev

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV generator running! What's your best estimate of running time to insure a fully charged battery? I will disconnect the power switch this time and forever. LOL

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried one of those X2Power AGM batteries in their rigs yet? Just wondering if they are worth the extra money and if the current system would keep it charged. I hear they usually require changes to the on-board charging system.
    Kevin & Kelly
    2014 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    CC/SB Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
    Load Lifter Ultimate 5000 w/Wireless Air
    2015 Grand Design Solitude 325X

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave our 313rlts for weeks at a time with no problem. I always turn off the battery disconnect switch. I do have duel 12 volt batteries which I check water level on a regular basis. Seems like we are in it every 2-3 months and have always had plenty of battery when needed.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 328 stays hooked to shore power all the time when it is in storage. I can't put the landing gear down on battery power when we arrive at a camp site. I believe my battery is bad, or its not charging while hooked to shore power.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glazier View Post
    My 328 stays hooked to shore power all the time when it is in storage. I can't put the landing gear down on battery power when we arrive at a camp site. I believe my battery is bad, or its not charging while hooked to shore power.
    Do you leave the battery disconnect in the connected setting and ensure the converter breaker is on?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of sounding conspiratorial, I suspect either the quality or the capacity of the battery. I have left campers for 2-3 months (with a pair of 6v batts) and not had this kind of drain. The dealer provides the battery, and I've seen some pretty pathetic choices, to cut cost. Many will just assume the buyer is going to hook up at a campground and it'll be fine. There is certainly a chance you have a load somewhere, but I would also does some investigation about the Amp Hours your battery is rated for, or if it's even a deep cycle battery to begin with.

I am not going to sit here and spend your money for you, but I've had good luck with a pair of golf cart batteries from Sams or Costco. That will provide you some depth of charge but not cost a fortune. If you go that route, get a battery box that can hook up to the exhaust vent, to ensure the hydrogen that is produced during charging doesn't build up inside the storage compartment. You probably already know that, but it was news to me when I configured our system.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast