Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the small amount of gasses that might be emitted from an AGM battery, I wonder what constitutes "properly vented". The linked article mentioned that the hydrogen gas is easily absorbed into the air. I wonder if installed in a storage exterior accessible compartment without additional venting would be sufficient.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Given the small amount of gasses that might be emitted from an AGM battery, I wonder what constitutes "properly vented". The linked article mentioned that the hydrogen gas is easily absorbed into the air. I wonder if installed in a storage exterior accessible compartment without additional venting would be sufficient.
    I have had AGM batteries inside my houseboat for 10 years and never smelled anything or had any problems !! I have had them in my Toy hauler for over 5 year with no problem , there is a hole in the floor and the side of the trailer where the old battery box's where mounted and would think that would be plenty of vented for AGM batteries if needed !!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit the bullet today and purchased 2 US Battery US200 batteries. My vented battery box resembles Frankenstein, lots of duct tape. I was against the wall, Wednesday night we are boondocking, it's going to be chilly.

Now I am in search of a mo betta battery box that has venting capabilities.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N6ZCM1 View Post
    Dual 6 volt battery box
    Thanks for the reference, but no vent. I may have to jury rig something.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - the important thing is creating a dome that will capture any lighter than air hydrogen and vent it upward and out. I have seen a nice installation with an upside down storage bin. The lid was placed upside down under the batteries and the batteries retained with robust straps bolted through the lid to the floor below. The bin was placed upside down over the batteries with a strap holding it in place to the lid. The vent connection was a 1 1/2" marine through hull drain in the bottom (now actually the top) of the inverted bin. Then OE hose to the OE wall vent. Effective, inexpensive and nicely done.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Dallas - the important thing is creating a dome that will capture any lighter than air hydrogen and vent it upward and out.... The vent connection was a 1 1/2" marine through hull drain Rob
    As I did my little project I discovered some neat stuff. It appears the single battery that was installed at the factory was placed with two vented battery tops. They ran a exit vent/drain out the bottom as well as venting to the top. This did a couple of things, first it had flow through air, particularly when driving as the upper vent is in by the front compartment door and would face into the wind. Second thing was the lower vent had a piece of hose attached and ran through the floor of the compartment. This provides another exit or entry point for air flow, plus any battery acid/juice that leaked from the battery would be drained out of the compartment. The two battery box tops where then screwed together.

My adaptation to add the two batteries. I took two new battery boxes threw the lids away. I used the OEM vented battery lids as tops for the new battery boxes. A piece of 1 1/2 PVC sewer joint was used to connect the vent hose. I thought I could use a piece of pool hose, but the hose was 1 1/2 inch exterior diameter, not interior diameter. But there was enough of the original hose it worked. It's a rather ragged looking affair at this point, held together with duct tape. As soon as I can find a good battery box I will rebuild the whole thing.

The important thing is I have a vented 225AH system for this weeks boondock.

N6ZCM1, I have not found a better box than the one you listed, I have it bookmarked and after verifying the measurements will work will probably get that one then add the marine through hole Rob recommended.
    Dallas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12