User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Install in a 2017 Solitude 379FLS

I recently purchased my 2017 Solitude 379FLS. Very happy with it so far. I can tell by the construction is was built by some people who care. I can't say the same about my previous class A (built by another company that I won't mention here). I do remodeling and home repairs for a living so I consider myself to have a fairly good eye when it comes to general construction methods.

After purchasing the Solitude I wanted to go with Progressive industries hardwired unit, since I had previously installed one in my class A. I came to this forum and wanted to see where others had installed it. Couldn't find any pics, so I thought I would offer some of my install. Hopefully this is helpful to the next person looking to install the EMS-HW50C hardwired surge protector in their unit.
    So here it goes...
    In the forward storage compartment you'll find this middle panel which can be removed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	9782
    Behind that middle wall panel is easy access to the 50 amp line (thick black line in photo) coming in from shore, the water heater, water pump, etc.

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	9787
    This back wall makes a perfect location to mount the surge protector since the 50amp line runs right along side. You'll also see I attached a short 1x6 piece of wood to securely hold the surge protector

Name:	IMG_0599.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	9789
    I ran the digital display over near the storage compartment door so when connecting up shore power I can easily see the readout.

Name:	IMG_0602.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	9790
    This is the last pic with cover attached and everything working.

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	9791
    One thing to note about my install and pics above. You'll notice the surge protector is upside down. This is due to the shore power coming in from the right side of the photos. The line/input happens to be on the left side of the surge protector so this means the box gets flipped upside down for the install.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for where to install their surge protector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. When I installed mine, I installed a new receptical in the utility closet to keep the connectors dry.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed mine on the floor next to the transfer switch (easy). I ran the readout up into the rig and mounted it on the cabinet where I could monitor the amp draw while camping. As far as hooking up to the power, I can hear the transfer switch activate so I know I've got good power (or it wouldn't pass through the Progressive). I do however always check it to confirm I have zero errors.

Sanfron, I like your install better but I like the readout inside.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    I installed mine on the floor next to the transfer switch (easy). I ran the readout up into the rig and mounted it on the cabinet where I could monitor the amp draw while camping. As far as hooking up to the power, I can hear the transfer switch activate so I know I've got good power (or it wouldn't pass through the Progressive). I do however always check it to confirm I have zero errors.

Sanfron, I like your install better but I like the readout inside.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Nice job. When I installed mine, I installed a new receptical in the utility closet to keep the connectors dry.
    Thanks LCBoyer and el Rojo.
    I was real close to installing the readout inside, but I'm so use to seeing it right when I plug into shore power (as I had it on my last RV), I thought I better do the same with this one

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics and install.

Was extra wire needed or did you just measure and cut in the middle of the wire already there?
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Nice pics and install.

Was extra wire needed or did you just measure and cut in the middle of the wire already there?
    Thanks orbiker. There was enough slack in the line so I just cut it in the middle... extra not needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just leave the ends on the RJ12?
    Carl Breeding
    CW3 US Army Retired
    US Army Civilian Retired
    2016 F350 diesel DRW Long wheel base
    2017 Momentum 399TH
    2012 Goldwing motorcycle with a Roadsmith Trike kit

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he was referring to the incoming AC wire.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Just a word of caution to other owners though. The warranty on these units is void if installed by anyone other than an RV dealership. Here is the fine print from the Progressive Industries documentation:

"The following are excluded and not covered by the Lifetime Warranty and/or void the Lifetime Warranty:

• Installation of hard wired units by any party other than a qualified RV dealer"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Nice job! Just a word of caution to other owners though. The warranty on these units is void if installed by anyone other than an RV dealership. Here is the fine print from the Progressive Industries documentation:

"The following are excluded and not covered by the Lifetime Warranty and/or void the Lifetime Warranty:
    t
    • Installation of hard wired units by any party other than a qualified RV dealer"

It still may be cheaper to buy a replacement hard wired unit if your self installed EMS fails.

If your dealer installed hard wired EMS fails you would have paid labor for the original installation, dealer labor to remove the failed unit, shipping cost to return it to manufacture and more dealer labor to reinstall the repaired unit.

I would guess that all that labor and shipping would exceed the cost of a new replacement EMS. That also doesn’t consider the down time trying to get an appointment with your dealer, waiting for your failed unit to travel both ways and wait for bench repair.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast