User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a 2400BH with an F150?

Hi Everyone - My wife and I have been shopping for our first RV to take our 2yr old and soon to be infant camping next spring. We stumbled upon the GD Imagine 2400BH and are convinced its the unit for us, my question for the experts is am I over my vehicle limits with this unit? My tow vehicle is a 2010 F150 Supercab with 5.4L and tow capacity of 11,300, but a payload of only 1150. G.D. website shows hitch wt. at 505 lb which I assume is dry. Do you think I am pushing the limits with this trailer? Please let me know of any more vehicle info you need and thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have logged many miles towing TTs with 1/2 ton pick-ups. I have found, if set up right, they do a really good job up to about 8K lbs. After that they start to struggle a little. IMHO you will do just fine with that set-up. With my 1/2 tons I always used E rated tires, airbags and a good WD hitch with sway control.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2015 F150 pulling a 2018 2400BH. It pulls it fine. Plus I have heard that the steel body f150 is more stable pulling than my aluminum body. Other than my microwave didn't work and the gutters needed caulk everywhere two pieces joined together we love the camper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You likely "can pull it" but the question is really "should you pull it"? The 2400BH is spec'd at 5595 dry and 7495 max with a TW of 505 lbs dry. Lets say you load the TT to 6500 lbs. TW should be in the 10-13% range or 650-910 lbs. Your truck is 1150 lbs payload ..... add in passengers, fuel, "stuff", and the TW on the truck and you are likely going to end up over the 1150 allowed. Insurance Companies love an out and if you have exceeded the sticker values they can drop any claims fast. Other things come into play as well .... Truck Tire Ratings ...... Axel Weights ........ W/D Setup etc. etc. etc.
    2021 Solitude 346FLS & 2021 F450 - Platinum 6.7 PS
    346FLS - Mods & Stuff - B&W Companion Hitch, TPS, RVLock, Magnum MS2812 Inverter, 4x Renogy 170AH Lithium Batteries, Progressive EMS HW50C, Splendide Combo W/D, and more to come!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this thread.

Have a new 2018 F150 SCREW 3.5L v6, 3.55 4x4 with 7000# GVWR, with 20" wheels and max towing package (12700).

Have read numerous threads and am working on a couple different spreadsheets with values, but would like to validate my numbers.

Thanks,
    Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmerri19 View Post
    Bumping this thread.

Have a new 2018 F150 SCREW 3.5L v6, 3.55 4x4 with 7000# GVWR, with 20" wheels and max towing package (12700).

Have read numerous threads and am working on a couple different spreadsheets with values, but would like to validate my numbers.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian - Which numbers do you want to validate? All the specs for your specific truck are on the door labels. Post pictures of these labels if we can help with deciphering these.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob,

Sorry, meant to add more info and reply last night but got paged for work. Here are the truck stickers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F150 stickers.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	12540

I've also been using the "truck trailer weight worksheets" from the files section of the Grand Design Facebook group site, as well as the Keep Your Daydream Youtube video about "Payload Problems: How Much Can I (Really) Tow"? spreadsheet.

Please PM me if you'd like to check those out.

-Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the towing, it's the stopping. Half ton's do not have big brake rotors.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brian - From the numbers on your door labels, you have a 7000 lb GVWR with a payload of 1476 lbs . . . meaning the empty truck weighs about 5500 lbs. That sounds about right. So everything you put into the truck should not sum to more than 1476 lbs.

Another limit will be your hitch receiver. Half tons have Class IV hitches which are limited to about 1200 lbs hitch weight. Truck manufacturers assume 10% of trailer weight is on the tongue when they quote max towing . . . so you can see that they are using your hitch limit to arrive at the 12,000 lb max trailer weight. But this would only leave you about 200 lbs for other people or stuff in the truck. Most trailers tow better with a little more weight on the tongue. If that 1200 lb tongue weight is 15% of your trailer weight, you are down to a target trailer weight of about 8000 lbs.

Your Front Axle GWR (3600 lbs) and your Rear Axle GWR (4050 lbs) sum to 7650 lbs which is more than your 7000 lbs GVWR. This is normal and provides a "gray area" where you can be over your GVWR but not exceeding your axle limits. Some use this logic since it is only axle weights that can be measured and some stay within GVWR. This part is up to every individual.

Your tires are "light weight" passenger car tires. I can't read the size in your attachment, but I can read the 35 psi pressure spec. These are not going to be very good tires for towing. Most folks would recommend that you upgrade the tires to truck (LT) tires for more towing stability.

So, I think you are looking for a trailer of less than 8000 lb GVWR, should upgrade to LT tires on the truck and should not carry much else in the truck. You should get the entire rig weighed to make sure that your weight distributing hitch is set up correctly and that you are not exceeding the axle weight limits.

BTW . . . I would not be concerned about the brakes. I had the "opportunity" to tow our 10,000 lb 5th wheel with 3 out of the 4 trailer brakes heavily coated in grease . . . so the truck was doing most of the braking and it did a remarkably decent job of this. I realize that brake rotor size is not the only measure of brake performance, but F150s have 13.7" diameter rotors front and rear. F250 and F350 rotors are 14.3".

Just my 2 cents worth . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Thanks for the info, it really helps. Sorry those pictures weren't as clear.

-Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast