Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - btw, I just signed up as sponsor - thanks for the reminder, as I have been planning on doing this. Also - did you get my private response? I am used to communicating via email or text, so the forum thing is new to me.

Chad

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad - I would certainly follow Tom's advice and look into the Curt hitches. I have finessed my Reese to where it works, but I still have the "screech" that Tom talks about when moving from one hitch position to the other. Mine does lock in firmly at either end. I see that they also have an A16 which might be a better fit to the trailers you are considering. They also have the impact isolation that drew me to the Reese product and they are American made. Don't know how I managed to miss considering the Curt in my original search.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctdecuir View Post
    Rob - btw, I just signed up as sponsor - thanks for the reminder, as I have been planning on doing this. Also - did you get my private response? I am used to communicating via email or text, so the forum thing is new to me.

Chad
    Chad - Got your PM response . . . thanks!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just not a proponent of buying one of the lightest trucks on market and even limit options to make lighter then trying to stubby pencil the biggest 5er it can pull and operate the trucks at its max capacity. On top that recommending to some that hasn’t towed a big RV with max out capacities. Like some people do is weight stuff before you load and don’t load heavy stuff forward of the axles limiting the amount stuff he loads or not putting anything in the truck. I want enough payload left over to throw a generator in the back the truck and stack some fire wood around it not worry about weight. I have stubby pencil weight in the past enough to know it’s probably will be low in real life. Like on my 5er and dry pin 2350 and truck with payload of 3744 and loaded for 30 days trip was over weight by 300 pounds over the GVWR. No, he doesn’t need to DRW to pull it or even a diesel to pull it. When I was over payload and facing the fact I need to DRW I made the decision to go Class A DP instead and tow a Jeep to go off road with, carry Kayaks and a Cricket golf cart in the back.

I have had two hitches. A Reese with a with slid gate and it had lots slop and chuck like crazy. I purchased a B&W great hitch but really heavy.

I guess I have added everything I can to this thread so I’m out…..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I tested with the two Hondas on my generator rack as well as 200 lbs of feed laying on the kitchen floor to simulate the RV being loaded. I didn't notice any difference in the handling.

I then tested the turning radius with the Companion. When backing I can go to the point that the tires start rotating instead of turnig- which of course is not what you want to do. I estimate about 80 degrees.
    The iBall camera doesn't have a wide enough viewing angle to see the corners of the fiver so I will send it back and try another few ideas.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxturninganglebackinup.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	9894
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald - Another interesting data point would be to turn your Anderson hitch/adapter around so that the trailer pin is forward of the rear axle. Don't make any tight turns because you won't have much room to the cab, but straight line this would confirm your theory about pin location being the issue with your Anderson setup.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Donald - Another interesting data point would be to turn your Anderson hitch/adapter around so that the trailer pin is forward of the rear axle. Don't make any tight turns because you won't have much room to the cab, but straight line this would confirm your theory about pin location being the issue with your Anderson setup.

Rob
    Rob,
    When I called Andersen I asked them if I could turn it around and they said no but I guess you are just referring to me doing a test. I guess at this point I am so irritated with the AUH that I don't want to even touch it again...

I also posted this story on several Facebook groups and a guy just responded with this

"That is an issue with the Andersen hitch, it sets over or slightly rearward of the rear axle, depending on the verson you have (turnover ball or rail system). And its not adjustable.

I have a 29RS with a 2016 GMC 3/4T diesel and the RV dealer provided an Andersen hitch.

I disliked it so much i used it one time about 50 miles to get the RV home.

I swapped it out for the B&W companion, which since I own both hitches, I can verify that the B&W can be adjusted so that it is forward of the rear axle.

I took the Andersen hitch to the Elkhart Rally last month, slapped a $300 price tag on it, but didn't get any takers.

This is for a hitch that was only used once.

The only interest I received were Andersen owners asking why I didn't like it.

To be fair, there are many Andersen hitch owners that swear by them, but it just was not for me"

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald - I saw that Anderson hitch for sale at the Rally ! I did wonder why . . . I should have gone over to talk to the guy . . . but I had no interest in an Anderson for my application.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Donald - I saw that Anderson hitch for sale at the Rally ! I did wonder why . . . I should have gone over to talk to the guy . . . but I had no interest in an Anderson for my application.

Rob
    It's ironic. The hitch is lightweight which is what the 1/2 ton trucks need but it works the best in the heavy duty trucks in which most don't have to worry about payload.
    Since I couldn't find anyone using a 1/2 ton and the AUH I was the guinea pig. When I emailed them back in March all I asked them was, was the AUH ok to use in the F150 aluminum bed (would it damage it). They of course said no problems. I didn't believe them so I made a plywood board coated with bedliner to spread the load. I wish now I had put rails and the Patriot slider but wishful thinking doesn't make it happen- only money does that!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctdecuir View Post
    TNFSolitude - thanks for the response - I will definitely take this into account. Your experience - while painful for you, is extremely valuable for me to know about. Thanks for the perspective on Reese - what Hitch brand did you end up going with, and how is it going?
    We tow with the Curt A20 ( http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/41/5...heel%20Hitches ) and have found it to be quite easier to use. It's quieter while driving and no screeching when going into or out of manuever mode.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast