Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering Full Timing and GD

My wife and I are in serious discussions regarding selling our home and full timing for at least a couple of years before settling down in a new home. Grand Design is recommended on several sites as a good option for this. Realizing I am probably asking the choir about the church, can you give me good reasons to go to a Grand Design versus other makers? We are currently in a 39 1/2 foot Montana fifth wheel and we have owned one Montana previously.

Wayne
    Last edited by captacoustic; 09-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customer service. At the relative price points (Solitude, Momentum, Reflection), you can probably find fifth wheels by other manufacturers that are built at about the same level of quality, materials and workmanship. What sets Grand Design apart (a general consensus of opinion on this forum, I think) is their customer service.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think GD tends to think through some of the small details that make things nice. On our Momentum, for example, both of the fuel fill caps (for the generator tank and the pump tank) are behind a locked door. On most others, they are exposed. The pantry on ours was a big draw at the time, and the bedroom and bathroom layouts are great for full-timing. The insulation works well too.

The support is the best part. They have sent me parts to fix things without involving a dealer. We had a leak into the basement from the bedroom slide, and had to take it to the dealer for that. I worked with GD and the dealer to coordinate the repair. The dealer then lied about ordering parts, and wasn't ready when we showed up for the appointment that was scheduled a month in advance. I called GD and they overnighted the parts to the dealer. They really do back their owners, and they put out a good rig that is pretty well thought out.

Are they perfect? No. We found some issues that were clearly someone working fast and cutting corners.

GD has always had our backs when it came to getting things fixed.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two words. Customer service.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been full-timing in a 380th for 3 years. I agree with the above, but would ask why you need a new rig? You didn't mention any shortcoming of your current 5ver. Otherwise, I'm also so,d on GD solely because of their Customer Service. I really don't see much difference in initial quality, but they do more than other brands to make it right.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    We've been full-timing in a 380th for 3 years. I agree with the above, but would ask why you need a new rig? You didn't mention any shortcoming of your current 5ver. Otherwise, I'm also so,d on GD solely because of their Customer Service. I really don't see much difference in initial quality, but they do more than other brands to make it right

Alan
    We love our current rig but space is limited and we are concerned we won't have enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captacoustic View Post
    We love our current rig but space is limited and we are concerned we won't have enough.
    Understood. Then I would echo what others have said about the Customer Service of GD. In our case, our model was the best Toy Hauler layout for full timing we could find at the time we purchased 3 years ago. GD does seem to focus on livability and reacting to layout input from owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are 1/2 timers in a Solitude 375RES. This is our fifth, fifth wheel. We think the GD is superior to the last four 5ers we have owned. One thing for sure - we will never buy another Keystone product. I have had very few problems with the new coach. Had to call GD customer service once so far and they helped me fix the problem right off. Also, we think highly of the dealer we bought this rig from. Those two factors make all the difference in the world.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captacoustic View Post
    My wife and I are in serious discussions regarding selling our home and full timing for at least a couple of years before settling down in a new home. .... can you give me good reasons to go to a Grand Design versus other makers?
    Wayne
    We had the same discussion. We set out on a 5 year mission to find the perfect place to live. We have had to extend the search another 5 years.

GD over others, In my former 5th wheel the only time I got to speak to a factory rep was at a factory rally. I have talked to factory people at least 5 times since buying my GD.

One brand over another. There are so many deciding points the choice truly is difficult. So we looked at floor plans that we could live with. There are really very few that meet our needs. We are in our new Momentum 376TH solely because of the little garage.

Other requirements that had to be met. We cold weather camp, so we needed max insulation, tank heaters, and cold weather package. Check.
    I needed sufficient storage for tools etc. Check
    DW needed a workable kitchen layout. Check
    Our Chihuahua needed a warm place of his own. He has 4 now.

Quality? There are some entry level units out there that sound like a tin can when you walk into them. There are some higher end models that weigh a lot that have better trim. IMHO our Grand Design sits about 6 or 7 on a 10 scale, better than most we have looked at.

Montana made our short list when we were shopping for a full time unit. I would have no qualms starting out in the Montana, you'll know when it's time to change.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750