User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any luck working with Grand Design on repair issues?

We have a 2014 Solitude 369rl. Love it, use it as much as possible.

Last August, we had an accident that tore the entire back end (the sofa area) of the unit off. We were able to drive it to our dealer (General RV, Mt Clemens MI) where it sat for nearly three months. They were able to work with both our insurance company and Grand Design to make the necessary repairs. Since the initial "it's done" phone call, we have had to return the unit four times in order to repair the repairs. In essence, each time we've been told that the repair was complete, we'd plan a trip, only for the end of separate from the unit, time and time again.

In mid-August of this year, just over a year from the initial accident, I contacted Tony Lizzi in Sales with the Grand Design Middlebury IN office. I immediately received an "away notice" that he would be out of the office until the end of that week (August 25) but would get back with me asap. To be clear, I wasn't asking for any kind of handout; I was just asking if Grand Design corporate had any kind of recommendations as far as taking the unit to a different repair facility to complete repairs or have them done correctly. Perhaps they could even instruct the place we were using on how to correctly repair a Grand Design unit.

Two weeks later, we received a phone call from Bradley Smith of Grand Design. He stated that he had been away but would be looking into the issue and getting back with us within 48 hours. That was nearly four weeks ago.

Now, I realize that this a repair that is a result of an accident on our part. In no way was I asking Grand Design or General RV to take any sort of responsibility for the accident. However, since all parties involved in the repair have already been paid for a repair that was made incorrectly....well, I'm just at a loss of what to do.

We now have a beautiful (and fully paid for) 2014 Grand Design Solitude 369rl that has not been used for over a year and that cannot be used until the repairs are made completely and correctly.

If anyone has ANY suggestions (that don't include setting the damn thing on fire), please let me know. THANKS!!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many have experienced, this appears to be a 'dealer responsibility' and we often hear of dealers falling short.

Perhaps one avenue to consider.
    I had a similar experience with a vehicle where the repair was completed, vehicle looked good, but there were unresolved issues including a leaking trunk.
    As the customer, I addressed this with my insurance company that had paid for the repairs. In the end, the insurance company totaled the vehicle and replaced it.
    Either way, the insurance company should provide coverage for you in terms of legal action or some type of settlement as they represent your concerns with the dealer repairs or lack there of.

Pls let us know the resolution.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with PWRSTROKE. I'd go through your insurance since the repairs were made under their auspices.

However, I would never have accepted not receiving a return call from the GD person within 48 hours. I'd have been calling them back on the 49th hour, but that's just me. Lack of response has generally not been my experience in my 3 years of ownership.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had excellent luck with GD, even on self inflicted problems, but insurance was never involved. I think in this case my push would be with the insurance company, and I would be asking to get it back to the factory for repairs.
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to be a "me too" but I would definitely get the insurance company involved here. They are the ones that paid out for the repairs and they have LOTS of lawyers just aching to go after companies that are, essentially, screwing them via you.
    Johnny & Leigh
    2015 RAM 2500 CTD
    2017 GD Imagine 2950RL
    "What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
    "An honest government has no fear of an armed population".