Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    I found out that the build it worksheets on the GD website DO NOT include delivery to the dealer, which varies by distance. My dealer claimed over $3000 for delivery. I had no way to confirm or refute that price, so I had to work from that number in my negotiation.
    But the point is, who cares about the MSRP or what the dealer paid for it - its all about what the retail buyer can get it for.

My suggestion to look for the lowest MSRP is because most dealers don't seem concerned about what the dealer down the road is selling the same unit for, they just knock off a set percentage. Makes no sense. Some dealers I looked at have 4 or 5 identical units, all with different MSRP's. Sometimes the salesman quotes a price on the oldest or most expensive unit rather than the cheapest one he can sell you. So *generally* the unit with the lowest MSRP will be the lowest price out the door - but not always.

I pick up my Reflection 337RLS next Tuesday. It was not the largest discount from MSRP, but least expensive to me. I also had to factor in distance to the dealer and latest build date. It did have the lowest MSRP of any I looked at.

I really hate buying vehicles and the games salesmen play. Easy to understand how some people bite on "menu pricing" or largest discount just to avoid the hassle.

Best,

John

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Factor in freight, doc, title, prep fees, and whatever bogus fees to the total price. The market in that area will also dictate the price.

If you are doubting a particular dealer from the beginning about "playing games", why would you even want to reward them with purchasing from them?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleazenby View Post
    Factor in freight, doc, title, prep fees, and whatever bogus fees to the total price. The market in that area will also dictate the price.

If you are doubting a particular dealer from the beginning about "playing games", why would you even want to reward them with purchasing from them?
    I don't "reward" dealers by doing business with them any more than they "reward" me by selling me their product. Its all about the free market and finding the true value of the product. There is no shortage of RV's so I can take my business where ever I receive what I consider to be the best value.

Frankly, I've found few RV dealers that I feel add value to the transaction and I factor that in to the value equation. There are dealers that I won't do business with and some that I shop first, but price out the door is the major factor in the calculation.

Most of the dealerships I have shopped in the last few weeks have provided what I consider adequate (sales) service. A couple have been very good, but none that I would rate as excellent. There have been a couple that I consider as very poor. Some of these guys are just order takers and wouldn't last working at McDonalds'.

Best,

John

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't make it anymore complicated than it needs to be.

You have the freaking build sheets with prices from GD. IDGAF what the dealer has on their sheet outside of transport and prep. You can compare different prices from different dealers if you want but in the end it doesn't matter.

If you are unsure about delivery fees look what everyone is charging in the area and look at different units. If one guys is 1500 higher on transport than the other guy up the street then there is something screwy going on. It costs no more to bring in a Grand Design than it does a Keystone or whatever fifth wheel. You can get transport down really tight just by checking out a few dealerships in the area.

If you fall for the dealer raising the MSRP by 10k or whatever and only ask for the same % off then you fail at math. It should go without saying that if the prices is higher you get more off. You have the build sheet from the manufacturer and prices. So if you fall for this, quite frankly it is on you.

The build sheets are there for you to view, you know the price from GD. IF you're concerned prices have change for the better then order a new one and not deal with the unit that has been rotting for a year on the dealer lot. Very simple. If you want to pay more to get it NOW that is your decision.

If you contact half a dozen dealers you should have a really good idea of which ones are full of crap and trying to squeeze you out of $ instead of making an easy sale. IF you absolutely must use your local guy then by all means do so. We don't mind paying a tiny bit more for the local guy but at 25% off the real GD MSRP they are still making money and that is our threshold.

If you want to include TTL go for it. Every state I've lived in it is against the law to pad this item and you should know what it costs with a simple online visit or phone call for these items. Include them or don't it is simple math to get the answer.

All this "but the dealer sheet was different" is irrelevant. Your first problem is giving a crap what the dealer has on their sheet when you already have the manufacturer sheet with pricing. Only question is how much is transport and prep? You should already know the answer if you did your homework.

Left The Driveway Chrisfisher99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the philosophy of 'who cares what the MSRP/dealer sheet is,' but for a slightly different reason. I like to negotiate bottom up instead of top down. And I think there's some merit to playing dealers off one another. I began my negotiations for my 395M with a couple low-ball prices I found on RV Trader. Didn't matter to me that they were halfway across the country, I tried to get the local guy to match it. Once I got them down as low as I could (for that day), I went to another dealer an hour away. They beat the first offer by over $2k. Then went back to the original local guys, who I hoped to buy from in the first place because of (relatively) good online reviews, plus being local, and they beat the other offer, barely. Essentially matched it. But I was satisfied. Counting what I understand transport costs to the west coast are (around $4k), I got basically 27% off MSRP. Not that I looked at it that way during the process, but I'm happy with the end result.

By the way, for those that read my post the other day about brakes, there's been a slight hold up in the delivery. They asked to do it Monday but I'm out of town Sunday to Wednesday, so I have an apt for walkthrough next Thursday now. The finance guy assured me he would pass along my concerns about the axles to the service mgr and they would indeed pull all the hubs, check for grease, and replace the seals. Got nowhere with him about switching out for disc brakes. I'm gonna call the service mgr myself on Monday and tell him I need to either be present for the axle check or I would like him to document it, with pictures. And I'll talk to him about disc brake options pending the results. Will keep you guys posted...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good site to check invoice prices is http://seedealercost.com

Here's the 2400BH pricing from that site
    http://www.seedealercost.com/product...egorySlug/recv
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    A good site to check invoice prices is http://seedealercost.com

Here's the 2400BH pricing from that site
    http://www.seedealercost.com/product...egorySlug/recv
    Just don't forget to scroll to the bottom to add all the mandatory packages, and then figure on freight and prep.

Most people see the pricing on the top line, but never continue down to add those items.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, thats an interesting site. How sure are we its realistic?
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12