User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops replied to wrong message
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Bill Martin, he fixes everything...LOL.

That stinks to be in that situation. Just goes to prove that even tow vehicles have issues, not just the trailers they pull.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    Very sorry to hear about your trouble. Wish you were closer so I could help. Hope you get it resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. I was/am nervous about the DEF emissions system in my truck also. It's been two years and no problems so far (knock on wood) but I only have 7,000 miles on the truck so far.

Wishing you the best,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

I would agree with the advice that you should press the dealer service department for information on the codes that they have pulled and the parts they have ordered. Don't hesitate to ask for the service manager or the dealer himself if you can't get the information that you need from your first contact service advisor.

Dan . . . to answer your question . . . I did manage the group that developed the first GM DEF storage system over a decade ago. DEF is water based so can go through daily freeze/thaw cycles in some environments. The tank, pump and lines all have to accommodate this. It is a complex system . . . but the only thing proven to work at reducing diesel emissions to US requirements. Witness what happened to Volkswagen when they tried to create a non-DEF diesel emissions system. GM Canada has a long history (within GM) of engineering the alternative vehicle fuel systems. Propane, Natural Gas, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell. It made sense to have this group engineer the on-board storage and supply system for DEF.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, the EPA has about ruined the diesel engine. With all the EGR, DEF, DPF, etc etc. Having a little knowledge of diesels (I have spent dozens of hours learning all I can on these new emissions systems), I worked quite a bit on diesels while I was in the navy. To me, it sounds like in this case that either the OP's truck was not doing a regen when needed and his DPF loaded up with soot, or there is a problem with one of the pressure sensors that detect DPF loading.

IT is crazy what the EPA makes the manufacturers do. They put EGR on the engines. The "reason" is along with DEF to help reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions. This is a good thing as it protects our grand kids.....however, Because the truck is recirculating exhaust without oxygen back into the engine's intake the truck has to enrich the mixture with more fuel and advance the timing so the the fuel will even burn. This results in more carbon soot (more DPF loading), about 15-20% lower fuel economy and lost power. All in all, you end up burning more fuel, producing more soot and more NO than if they just left all that stuff off.

Just wait till your warranty is up and do a delete and tune on the truck and be done with it. Until then, unplug your EGR valve and you will at least get 20% more mileage and have less regens.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not researched this nearly as much as jeffdawgfan . . . but from what I know, his post is a good "tutorial" . However, if you unplug the EGR, I think you will set a check engine light. I don't know if this will eventually put you into limp mode or not .

Something to consider if you remove emission control hardware is that you will need to reinstall it and prove it is functional to sell the truck in many jurisdictions.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you're going through this Paul. I bet none of these dealers have contacted GM direct. They've actually been quite helpful on diagnosing the problems. Based on your other visits, have they replaced the NOx sesnor(s) yet?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Sorry you're going through this Paul. I bet none of these dealers have contacted GM direct. They've actually been quite helpful on diagnosing the problems. Based on your other visits, have they replaced the NOx sesnor(s) yet?
    No, they haven't but more than one of them suspected that would be needed but none of them have done it. I mentioned that here and I don't think they understood what I was saying. He keep saying "an injector" and I kept asking if he meant a "sensor". Who knows what the heck they are going to do. I tried calling today but my English speaking contact was not there.

FYI, I also told them I had work orders from the previous visits in my truck but they had printed out something that they claimed showed them everything.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    No, they haven't but more than one of them suspected that would be needed but none of them have done it. I mentioned that here and I don't think they understood what I was saying. He keep saying "an injector" and I kept asking if he meant a "sensor". Who knows what the heck they are going to do. I tried calling today but my English speaking contact was not there.

FYI, I also told them I had work orders from the previous visits in my truck but they had printed out something that they claimed showed them everything.
    There's a possiblity that the 9th injector is leaking (it injects fuel in to the exhaust for regen). They can run both tests, NOx and 9th injector, with a tech II tool.

It's sad that very few of the dealership techs know much about the diesels and how to diagnose them. I've had good luck with Selman, but that was with my LBZ.

I will not ever bring one to the dealer that my uncle uses. He brought it in for service and they told him to bring it in once a year to drain the DEF and put it in regen.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    There's a possiblity that the 9th injector is leaking (it injects fuel in to the exhaust for regen). They can run both tests, NOx and 9th injector, with a tech II tool.

It's sad that very few of the dealership techs know much about the diesels and how to diagnose them. I've had good luck with Selman, but that was with my LBZ.

I will not ever bring one to the dealer that my uncle uses. He brought it in for service and they told him to bring it in once a year to drain the DEF and put it in regen.
    Okay, that makes sense but doesn't a tech II tool connect through the OBDII port? Is there another way this could be connected to the PCM other than the port? That's my problem. I think they might just be guessing at it.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast