User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    Maybe you can help me understand this?

Why did RAM go to a DEF system (what year?)! I have a 2010 RAM with a Cummins 6.7L Diesel but without DEF as they met the newer emission tests. That was one of their main selling points because every other truck manufacturer needed DEF to pass the emissions. So why did RAM add this seemingly complicated DEF system in later model years? I have noticed the same as you, that the newer trucks are having more problems than the older trucks.
    Cap and trade..Cummins bought carbon credits to delay the implementation of DEF.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats interesting. Didn't know they could do that but I'm Happy they did. I like my non-DEF truck.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad they finally got you going. thought I read that some in Cali do the delete and reinstall for emissions testing. Its a shame that the whole system is destine to fail. I spent a day at a dealer in Mich couple months ago, they at first couldn't get the temp sensor out of the DPF. Couldn't get a filter for 5 days. Said "We think you can make it back home" before limp mode. Then on advisor knew a way. They retapped it. Even worse is extended GMPP doesn't cover the DPF, because its a "Filter" and filters are not covered. Also wouldn't cover a forced regen. I've been in for emissions 5 times in the past 10 months. Good luck. time to think about a delete.
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_ster View Post
    Glad they finally got you going. thought I read that some in Cali do the delete and reinstall for emissions testing. Its a shame that the whole system is destine to fail. I spent a day at a dealer in Mich couple months ago, they at first couldn't get the temp sensor out of the DPF. Couldn't get a filter for 5 days. Said "We think you can make it back home" before limp mode. Then on advisor knew a way. They retapped it. Even worse is extended GMPP doesn't cover the DPF, because its a "Filter" and filters are not covered. Also wouldn't cover a forced regen. I've been in for emissions 5 times in the past 10 months. Good luck. time to think about a delete.
    Before DEF it was easier to do the swap out for smog. After DEF, not so much. Additionally, and I have personally witnessed this, CA has smog check points. Setup much like a DUI check point, you pull in, then you pull up on some ramps and they inspect the undercarriage of the vehicle. Too late to swap out at that point.

2020 Momentum 351M

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Paul - I had to take my 2016 Ford F350 to the dealer this morning for a nearly identical situation. A warning light came on last night and it was obvious the truck wasn't running right. The warning stated the DPF was clogged and needed immediate attention from my nearest Ford dealership. I have 22,500 miles on the truck. Fortunately, I wasn't towing and I'm in Tucson, so we don't have to deal with finding a place to park the RV. And fortunately, Ford is providing a rental car while we wait to find out what is wrong.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is awful that you pay that amount for a truck, and it has a system destine to fail. Glad you got your truck back, good luck. I'm sure you and all of us with these systems need it. That filter should have been good for at least 100K miles. Extended doesn't cover it, only factory because its a "Filter". When they couldn't get a sensor out of mine they told they run about 2 grand to replace. Shame on the government and the dealer
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Paul - I had to take my 2016 Ford F350 to the dealer this morning for a nearly identical situation. A warning light came on last night and it was obvious the truck wasn't running right. The warning stated the DPF was clogged and needed immediate attention from my nearest Ford dealership. I have 22,500 miles on the truck. Fortunately, I wasn't towing and I'm in Tucson, so we don't have to deal with finding a place to park the RV. And fortunately, Ford is providing a rental car while we wait to find out what is wrong.
    Total thread resurrection -- my apologies. However I'm at my wits end with my truck so I'm looking for any and all good ideas.

My 2010 F350 started going into regen to clean the DPF much more often this year. It now does it about every 40 miles, whereas I used to go >100 miles between cycles. The truck is at 100,000 miles.

The shop I took it to recommended replacing the DPF itself. I thought that was a little soon at 100k miles, but maybe not.

I also wonder if it could be either the pressure sensor or one of the Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) sensors in the exhaust system.

Jim and Paul, what did you ultimately do to fix your trucks?
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    Total thread resurrection -- my apologies. However I'm at my wits end with my truck so I'm looking for any and all good ideas.

My 2010 F350 started going into regen to clean the DPF much more often this year. It now does it about every 40 miles, whereas I used to go >100 miles between cycles. The truck is at 100,000 miles.

The shop I took it to recommended replacing the DPF itself. I thought that was a little soon at 100k miles, but maybe not.

I also wonder if it could be either the pressure sensor or one of the Exhaust Gast Temp (EGT) sensors.

Well, I can provide a couple of comments.

First, don't assume because it only has 100k miles it can't or shouldn't be the DPF. Mine only had 17,500 miles on it.

Second, Mine was doing the same thing before finally going into limp mode. I would get the DPF cleaning do not stop driving message all the time.

The dealership never said anything about the sensors being bad although I had read many reports on the forums about it and asked.

Finally, the truck has closer to 30,000 on it now and by far the majority of that is towing, and I've had no further issues and haven't even had the regen message since then! I don't know when it's doing it but I have not gotten that message once since the original DPF was replaced. Go figure.

It clearly goes through much more pig whiz when towing where now I keep a box with me on all trailer trips.

Good luck!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Well, I can provide a couple of comments.

First, don't assume because it only has 100k miles it can't or shouldn't be the DPF. Mine only had 17,500 miles on it.

Second, Mine was doing the same thing before finally going into limp mode. I would get the DPF cleaning do not stop driving message all the time.

The dealership never said anything about the sensors being bad although I had read many reports on the forums about it and asked.

Finally, the truck has closer to 30,000 on it now and by far the majority of that is towing, and I've had no further issues and haven't even had the regen message since then! I don't know when it's doing it but I have not gotten that message once since the original DPF was replaced. Go figure.

It clearly goes through much more pig whiz when towing where now I keep a box with me on all trailer trips.

Good luck!
    Glad to hear the new DPF solved it. My fear is that I'll replace mine and still have issues! Most likely I'll start with a new DPF ($1500!) and go from there.
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post

I also wonder if it could be either the pressure sensor or one of the Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) sensors in the exhaust system.

I'm not sure if this can be done with the Ford or not, but here's something that was done on 2014 Duramax LML by Kennedy Diesel:

https://www.facebook.com/kennedydies...4177?__tn__=-R

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast