Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glacier National Park

Planning our July 2018 trip to Glacier National Park. Traveling from Middle TN so it will be about a 2000 mile trip each way. We plan to stay near Columbia Falls on the west side of park. Looking for suggestions and info from anyone who has been here. Must see things to do and see outside the park. Plan to stop and see the Little Big Horn Battlefield on the way. Have been to South Dakota several times so we pretty much plan to make this a Montana trip. Should I expect steep grades?
    Thanks for info and ideas!

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that TahoeTreker stayed at Columbia (KOA??) there last year and gave it good reviews. You might search that name on the forum. I was also looking at the KOA at West Glacier, the closest camp just outside the West entrance to Glacier. I was contemplating a trip there next summer also.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't tell you about Glacier National Park.... BUT been to Mt Rushmore then up to Devils Tower then to Little Big Horn across I-90 then south on I-15 in Butte, Montana.
    Of course traveling thru Mt Rushmore has steep grades, but once out of Deadwood to and on I-90 no real steep grades surprisingly flat grades... THO we hit winds from stateline to Sundance we pulled off in a small town to wait it out, we asked the locals when does it die down... they laughed!! In my gas Chevy 2500 pulling a 30 foot 5th wheel I was getting 4 to 5 mpg, head wind for 60 miles. watching the gas gauge go down so fast I thought I had a hole in the fuel tank!! I said 200 miles, but my GF at the time laughed and said it was only 60 miles!! Felt like 200 miles holding on to the steering wheel with a death grip!! LOL!!!! But this was the end of September... so maybe the winds are not bad in July!

Devils Tower is a must see, and of course Little BigHorn!
    When traveling I-90 and you come across a BIG HUGE sign that says "Crazy Woman Creek" don't burst out and laugh or snicker.... the wife/girlfriend will not see the humor in it!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ‘road to the sun’ is a must drive, but not with your camper.
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll love the Glacier Park scenery. Road to the Sun vehicle length max is 21' I believe because of switchbacks. In August of last year, we stayed at the KOA at West Glacier and really liked it. If you have a little extra time, you might consider using US route 2 as an alternate drive compared to Interstate 90/94 if going a northern route. We drove US 2 back all the way to Hurley, WI with overnight stops in Glasgow, MT - Minot, ND - Bemidgi, MN before heading south through central Wisconsin.
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m&mjones View Post
    You'll love the Glacier Park scenery. Road to the Sun vehicle length max is 21' I believe because of switchbacks. In August of last year, we stayed at the KOA at West Glacier and really liked it. If you have a little extra time, you might consider using US route 2 as an alternate drive compared to Interstate 90/94 if going a northern route. We drove US 2 back all the way to Hurley, WI with overnight stops in Glasgow, MT - Minot, ND - Bemidgi, MN before heading south through central Wisconsin.
    We'll be headed that way next year on our way to Alaska. How was Hwy 2 & why did you choose that route?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
    We'll be headed that way next year on our way to Alaska. How was Hwy 2 & why did you choose that route?
    US2 was in good condition for towing as I remember. I tend to take a different route whenever I can if the distance and time isn't a big concern. That sometimes drives the wife nuts, but she enjoyed the route also. It was a good road and got us off the interstate for a few days. We had driven I94/90 westbound out to Yellowstone a few weeks earlier, then to the northwest before heading back from Spokane. That's where we picked up route 2 most all the way back east. (Route 200 along the Clark Fork was a nice side trip before heading back up to route 2 and the west entrance of Glacier Park. We found a number of ineresting things to see along the way back. I had also flown a similar route in the fall of 2015 with a couple of friends, and it was nice to get the ground level views.
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m&mjones View Post
    US2 was in good condition for towing as I remember. I tend to take a different route whenever I can if the distance and time isn't a big concern. That sometimes drives the wife nuts, but she enjoyed the route also. It was a good road and got us off the interstate for a few days. We had driven I94/90 westbound out to Yellowstone a few weeks earlier, then to the northwest before heading back from Spokane. That's where we picked up route 2 most all the way back east. (Route 200 along the Clark Fork was a nice side trip before heading back up to route 2 and the west entrance of Glacier Park. We found a number of ineresting things to see along the way back. I had also flown a similar route in the fall of 2015 with a couple of friends, and it was nice to get the ground level views.
    Thanks. Maybe We'll take that route.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks For Info

Thanks for Glacier info. looking forward to trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last June we headed up to Glacier from the Tetons. We stayed on the east edge of town (Columbia Falls) at Columbia Falls RV Park. Family owned park, clean and quiet, lots of pull through sites and some back ins. You are about 13 miles west of the west entrance to the park. On the way to the park we saw the turn into the KOA but never got a chance to check it out. There are a few other RV parks on the west edge of Columbia Falls. While your there go check out Whitefish. Cool town and lots of shops and restaurants. Ski resort there has summer activities also.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast