Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which gps or stay with Google Maps?

For the past three or so years, when I have needed directions or had to use a GPS when traveling I have used Google Maps on my phone.
    The Google Maps app is very good and I have never had a problem with it.

What does everyone else use or suggest for a GPS when traveling?
    Or should I just keep using the Google Maps app on my phone?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin RV760 GPS. There is now an updated version, but it has a larger screen than a phone, allows you to input rig specs so it warns of bridges, roads you may be overweight, etc. It allows routing based on time/distance/maximize fuel usage. Also has a voice command so you can use it hands free. My preference and I like Garmins. YMMV.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the factory NAV in my RAM and I believe it is by Garmin. Without a doubt my Apple Maps and Google Maps is better hands down. Easier and faster at getting directions and is always up to date. By voice I can tell it where I want to go and it response quickly and accurately. My factory NAV you are lucky if it gets it right on by the third try. Typing directions in by hand is not always a sure thing. Yes it's nicer to have on the large screen in the dash, but it takes more effort than the Apple or Google Maps.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also several phone/tablet apps that purport to do truck/RV routing. Does anyone have experience with those? We plan to use something other than Google maps for the reasons arhayes mentioned (rig specs, etc.) but haven't decided on a solution.

-Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a lot of domestic travel through my work, and use WAZE and Google MAPs extensively - both apps work with iPhone/IOS and Android phones. Google MAPs is great for what it does, and WAZE uses input from thousands of users who provide input on road conditions, obstacles, police, etc. Often I will look at Google Maps and WAZE separately to get an idea which way might work the best - in many cases they will show the same route, but sometimes they don't. As an example, my wife and I were under mandatory evacuation when with hurricane Harvey hit (we live in Sugar Land, TX). The WAZE app was most effective - actually routing us around high flooded water areas in Houston on our way up to Dallas.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to use the Garmin app for the iPad. Then they discontinued it. So now I use Google Maps, WAZE, and, lately, another iPhone app called inRoute.

iNroute has a lot of features including an elevation profile for you planned route; I like that when out west. It also has some weather, wind direction, weather alerts & some other stuff. You can also download custom routes. I think it POIs too, but I don't use them.

If I think I'm going to encounter any low bridges I consult either Allstays Camp & RV or Allstays Low Clearance app.

I don't plan to get another Garmin or any other GPS. Not sure I really need it given the functionality of smart phones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've have the NUVI 1350 and on two trips in the last 3 months have come across low bridges and twice I've had to have the Wife block traffic so I could back out of the situation. Will be looking for a new GPS unit like the RV760. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the new Garmin 770 RV Gps. We are finishing up a cross country trip and I can not recommend it. It has routed us on some very odd routes and is quite inaccurate. Tonight for example, it missed our campground by 1/2 mile which resulted in our having to back down a country road and do a u-turn.

I recently checked the rewiews on Amazon and they were very low. The voice command feature works vey poorly too. I asked it to find Walmart and it didn't recognize the name.

We still use it, but most if the time we cross check with the Ford's NAV screen and Google maps.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    I have the factory NAV in my RAM and I believe it is by Garmin. Without a doubt my Apple Maps and Google Maps is better hands down. Easier and faster at getting directions and is always up to date. By voice I can tell it where I want to go and it response quickly and accurately. My factory NAV you are lucky if it gets it right on by the third try. Typing directions in by hand is not always a sure thing. Yes it's nicer to have on the large screen in the dash, but it takes more effort than the Apple or Google Maps.
    I have been using GPS since the late 80's. Garmin is my favorite. I dislike the one in my Ram quite a lot. Any of the portables I've had over the years are easier to use. When we retire in another year I'll get a dedicated RV GPS for the truck.

Most of the Garmin units that I buy allow for custom routes to be created on my computer then loaded to the GPS. I almost always run custom routes rather than letting the gps decide. This has worked out great for motorcycle touring that we've done over the years. I do the same for car trips. Doing this makes it easy to bypass towns if wanted or mix up interstate and back roads as desired. Working on the computer make routing easier and lets you check it for problems before you are on the road and committed to something that might not be right for your trip.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had many GPS in the last 10 years. I actually had a Loran Plotter... won't find one of those anymore. I bought really high end stuff for one of my retirement gifts. They were stolen. I replaced them with mid level units, Garmin Nuvi and and Gramin GPS Map 64. I have google maps on my phone. I forget the name of the Verizon app, but had that for a while too.

In the end none of them have replaced me researching the route before we take off. Every single one of them has lied to me at some time or other. Every single one has led me down a very narrow and scary road. They are a good tool, but nothing replaces the drivers analysis.

So if you got the bucks get the latest greatest RV/truckers GPS, around $700 last time I looked. They will help, but they aren't omniscient. I make do with the Nuvi, calculates distance and routes, but I always check the route it suggests, some of them are doozy's.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast