User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV trip planning recommendation.

Can anyone recommend a site, app or software for RV trip planning? Until now we’ve only done Florida state parks. We’re planning a trip from Tampa area to Cedar Point, NC with a one or two stops on the way. Looking for inexpensive spots to rest overnight.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at www.geeksontour.com, they talk about Google my maps and RVnotepad.

There’s also RVtripwizard, but I thought it was a little cumbersome.

Here’s a list from Ray Burr at Loveryourrv.com
    http://www.loveyourrv.com/helpful-we...-love-your-rv/
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some phone apps out now that are free. We belong to Passport America, they do a pretty good job of getting 50% off of campgrounds for one or two nights. I still use Woodalls.com aka Goodsam. Reserveamerica.com and recreation.gov are pretty good search engines. rvparkreviews.com also lists parks and provides user reviews. campgroundviews.com is a new campground site that is user based, it's just started up, once more folks start posting it will get really good.

Safe Travels!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased CoPilot for my Android phone. The biggest reason I use this is because it allows me to enter my dimensions of trailer. Of particular importance is my height. By entering height it will calculate my route taking into consideration low bridges, etc. I think it's $40.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Google map. I find the area I think I want to stay and search RV Parks and campgrounds.

Zoom in on satellite view and look at their website, plus rvparksreview.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what camper you have, the Good Sam website has a trip planner with an option to optimize for RVs.

I say depending on what camper you have because i think the planner is designed for smaller units. One trip i planned from Hampton Roads area of VA to Cherokee, NC tried sending me on a route with warning signs not recommended for semi-trucks.

Im planning another trip for next month from Hampton Roads area to Luray, VA in the mountains and it gave me a route that has road restrictions for semi-trucks.

I know i dont drive a semi-truck, but my height is about the same and length isnt that much less than a semi; in my mind if they shouldnt go on a road, either should I.

I am also a big fan of using google maps ahead of time, looking at the route on satellite view to see what im getting into. I print a hard copy in case my truck GPS doesnt think i should use that route. I also have a trucker atlas which lists all the low bridges across the US and has highlighted truck routes along major roads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Depending on what camper you have, the Good Sam website has a trip planner with an option to optimize for RVs.
    After trying a lot of other options this is what I use. In fact, it's the reason I joined Good Sam.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a combination of Good Sam Trip Planner ahead of time and Garmin 760 on the road. We bring screenshots of the Good Sam route in case we don't have internet or cell connection when the Garmin inevitably doesn't agree with the route we want to follow. We have learned by experience to default to the GS route when Garmin doesn't agree . . . Garmin has taken us on some wild goose chases .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS