User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I routinely travel with the Fridage gas on, never the hot water...If I need fuel, I’ll normal,pull,over and shut fridge off and relight when leaving

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. We travel with perishables in the Yeti. I'm not by nature a hand wringer, but the LP line running the length underneath the rv above the tires concerns me safety wise. Turning off appliances doesn't change that line from being pressurized afaik, so I turn off the tanks when we travel

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our previous 3 RV’s, yes - absolutely. On the new one no because it’s a residential fridge and we put the inverter on. Do what you want - that’s the nice thing about RV’ing - you get to do what you want to do.

As for me, when I used propane for the fridge, I never shut it off when fueling, I always left both tanks on and let the propane valve do the selecting. Propane is a heavy gas, meaning that it drops out of the bottom of the propane compartment, so it’s actually pretty safe.

I check and maintain the system regularly, always have tight connections and have a Mopeka propane level monitor on both tanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it just wouldn't take so darned long to cool back down after a days run. Been running with the gas on since around 1974 and have never had a problem.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting because on every coach I've ever had, the pipe has been guarded by the frame and has not just hung down underneath. Regarding those fires, perhaps they were started by friction of metal against pavement, setting the coach on fire and then blowing the propane tanks. I don't see any debris just cutting through a cast iron pipe and I'm guessing that the hardness of that pipe is exactly why it was chosen instead of flex line. Of course, anything can happen but it seems like a minuscule chance that this would happen. Your procedure for keeping food cool sounds ok, but what happens if you are stuck in traffic for an extended period on a very hot day?

Just speculating, but anyway my problems are over now with a residential fridge.

Safe travels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    If it just wouldn't take so darned long to cool back down after a days run. Been running with the gas on since around 1974 and have never had a problem.
    Started running with the gas on in '77. No issues here either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
    I was just at an rv seminar at General RV and according to their service manager, it’s safe to travel with the refrigerator on propane. It was explained that the new(er) travel trailers have an automatic emergency cut off switch if there is a loss of pressure anywhere in the system.
    I’m still new to all of this, so with all of the conflicting reports I say: Let your conscience be your guide.
    All modern day propane cylinders have a flow limiting device............the cylinder will not free flow, but will allow a small amount of gas through: http://www.motleyrvrepair.com/the_best_kept_secret.htm

I have been a volunteer fireman for 40+ years, and frankly propane scares me. I have been close to a 100 gal cylinder when it BLEVEd (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion), and came close to having to change my underwear after that incident.

I have attended fire schools where you attack a propane tank with a team to shut off a valve.........with a safety man off in the distance with a hand on a kill switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img089.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	13025

An interesting note that after the fire was over, there was ice around the valve because of rapid decompression of the gas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img090.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	13026

With all of that said, I do travel with my fridge running on propane, and have used the furnace also when traveling in cold weather.

As VinceB stated, let your conscience be your guide.....it is a personal choice. If you don't feel safe traveling with the propane on, then keep it off.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234