Thread: Bike Rack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Rack

What bike rack do you recommend?
    I have a 28BH with the 2" receiver.
    I would need it to hold 4 bikes (2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes).

Thanks
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use this: https://www.yakima.com/longhaul

So far, so good.

There is also this: https://www.yakima.com/roadtrip

The Roadtrip does not fold down.

Both are approved for RV use.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a suggestion would be to make sure the receiver hitch is securely fastened underneath, before mounting anything expensive in it. If you do a search on this site, you should find plenty of info on the factory installed hitches.

Gordo Fuchs
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Thule brand is out see below.

Looking for more suggestions and looking for what you guys like to use. I would like it to hold 2kids (1boy 1 girl)and 2 adults (1male 1 female. )

Subject

bike_carriers

Response By Email (Tyler Kennedy) (11/15/2017 03:48 PM)

Thank you for contacting Thule Customer Service.

We cannot recommend any of our carriers be installed on a trailer or towed vehicle. In terms of trailers, the suspension is far different than on passenger automobiles by design. Mainly the rear axle is much farther forward as compared to a passenger vehicle. Thus, any road vibrations or bumps, are amplified over the longer distance which is transferred to the carrier and bikes, so that scenario poses a risk to the equipment, the carrier, as well as the receiver it is installed into. When it comes to a towed vehicle, if there were to be a failure of any component during transit the issue may not come to light until there is a major issue or failure due to the fact the bikes would not be easily visible, so in short, it leave the possibility that something small could turn into something large with potentially no indication. This would of course be a rare instance, but nonetheless these are the reasons for our recommendations.

Best Wishes,

Tyler
    Thule Customer Service Team

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi from another Twin Cities guy! I went through the search a few years ago. At the time, only Swagman had a couple of models that were rated for RV/Trailer use. PM me if interested, it's available - but is only for 2 bikes. If you download the manuals for all the other makes/models, you'll see, like Thule, they all state that they are not to be used on a trailer. Since then, I believe Yakima has also come out with an RV model.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are towing with a truck I would recommend using a front hitch. They are much more stable although it’s not impossible to mount on your trailer. As far as the specific rack you already have some great suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stock receivers on the GD units are only rated for 300 lbs. total - bike rack and bikes. I won't put more that two bikes on the RV-rated bike rack we have on the back of our Reflection (a Swagman 64663).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The stock receivers on the GD units are only rated for 300 lbs. total - bike rack and bikes. I won't put more that two bikes on the RV-rated bike rack we have on the back of our Reflection (a Swagman 64663).

Rob
    I like the style of that rack. Looks like it would be easy load easy off load of bikes and be able to handle a variety of styles with out having different attachments. It looks like you could buy another one and it would connect into the first one?

Does the rack hold it far enough away from the back of the camper to prevent bike handle contact to camper?

I would weigh the bikes and rack. I don't think I would be close to 300lbs...however I don't think having two racks together would keep the RV rating.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
    I like the style of that rack. Looks like it would be easy load easy off load of bikes and be able to handle a variety of styles with out having different attachments. It looks like you could buy another one and it would connect into the first one?

Does the rack hold it far enough away from the back of the camper to prevent bike handle contact to camper?

I would weigh the bikes and rack. I don't think I would be close to 300lbs...however I don't think having two racks together would keep the RV rating.
    Stress on the structure is related to leverage - in other words, how far from the fulcrum (mounting point at the receiver) the back end of the bike rack would be. I'm not an engineer, but I would think a four-bike rack would be too much.

Clearance for handlebars... it depends on 1) how far out the hitch receiver you end up with sticks out, and 2) what type of handlebars. Our rig came with a hitch receiver. If one of our bikes was a road bike ("sheep horn" or drop bars), there would be enough clearance. We have two comfort bikes, however, and I have to loosen the handlebars on my wife's bike (the one I put closest to the back of the trailer) and slide them through the stem when I put the bikes on the rack. It only takes a few seconds and solves the problem.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the bike racks from 1UPUSA. I don't know if they specifically rate them for RV use, but these are extremely well built bike rack with a price to match. If in doubt, call them and ask. They are made right here in the US of A.

I have a single bike rack on my 297RSTS, which I also used on a Winnegago Class A motor home. I think your frame would fail long before one of these racks would fail.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

All 1UP USA products are designed and built with one goal in mind—to make your cycling life better. We combine superior materials and craftsmanship with a keen understanding of what you need and expect from your gear. The result is reliable, rugged, no-hassle goods for transporting your bikes. Just choose your adventure and enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast