User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On recommendations from others, I've tried locking out 6th or 5th gears, with and without cruise and I get the best mileage (and ride) just letting the truck do its own thing. It works so I figure the computer is smarter than I am.

May be different in the hills, but in the flat South Texas area, the cruise never kicks off running 63 mph. It will if set for faster speeds, but if I'm running much faster then that I can't get to the next gas station.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have found that we get better mileage when towing if we leave the cruise off. Surprised us we had assumed (there' that word again) that cruise always gets the better mileage. Only thing I can figure is that when towing the truck must be shifting too much.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed our 2017 303RLS with a 2015 Ram 2500, 6.4L with a 4.10 rear end. From a ratings standpoint, I was well within limits on both payload and towing capacity. The thing the numbers do not tell you about is the "experience" of towing that much with a gas engine. And that is probably why there can be such a difference of opinion on whether a gas engine is a good idea or not. If all I did is tow "locally", i.e. within range of one tank full of gas, I probably would have stayed with the gas engine. We live in SE Wi, and while there are no mountains here there can be hills. Being close to sea level there was no loss of performance, but the combination of a strong head wind and a steep hill would invariably put me into 4th gear. Eventually I got the hang of running in tow/haul which locks out 6th, and anticipating a hill by manually downshifting into 4th before starting up the incline. Once we started going up, I would flick the button up to select 5th, but the engine management system would stay in 4th until going down the other side, where it would shift back to 5th. By doing this I could continue to use cruise which I like, even when towing. Before I figured out the routine, I had several experiences of starting up a steep hill with a strong headwind, and then there would be a rough downshift into 4th because the engine was under load. No harm was done, but I did not like it.

But it was after a couple of 2-3 day trips that I realized I wanted more from my tow vehicle. We also wanted to take trips out west to the mountains, and I had some concerns about the loss of performance at mountain altitudes. I reasoned that if a steep hill and strong headwind taxed the truck, then it would only be worse out west. Diesels have many advantages when it comes to towing; i.e. the endless torque, better fuel efficiency and the exhaust brake to control the descent. Now here is the thing, having decided I wanted to switch to a diesel, I felt it prudent to go up to a 1-ton for payload margin. Then a funny thing happened as I continued to research. I discovered that the dually configuration only added about $1400 to the cost of the truck, but brought additional benefits for towing. I was on the fence for some time about it, because I would have to drive the truck as a daily driver as well. You will have to make your own decision on that aspect. The end of the story is that I found a 2017 Ram 1-ton Mega cab, diesel dually, with a 4.10 rear-end and the Aisin transmission. I finally have a truck that produces no anxiety when towing, and I actually enjoy driving it daily.

It all boils down to this...I kept trying to find a truck that was adequate for the various demands I would place on it. In other words, it would be a comprise that I could drive around town, but would be "good enough" for the most demanding job of towing our 303RLS. I should have picked a truck that could handle the most demanding job without compromise (towing), and then learned to live with it in the other applications (daily driving). Now everything I just wrote applies to me, our situation and my expectations. In the end, getting a truck that you eventually regret is not a character flaw . Sometimes you do not know until you give it a try and discover for yourself. After all, it is just a truck. They can be traded for something else.

We recently took our first trip to Custer State Park in SD to see Mount Rushmore with the new truck. It was a wonderful experience in part because the truck is such a delight to tow with. It never faltered or slowed down once. Being a dually it was unbelievably stable and solid. We set the cruise on 70, and just ate up the miles. One of the best fringe benefits is being able to get fuel at a truck stop since they are designed for big rigs and have easy entry/exit. More than once we started to pull into a regular gas station only to realize that getting out was going to be a problem, and then had to look for another station. It was just one more stress point that no longer affects us.

We are looking forward to many more trips. If we should ever upgrade the trailer to something else, it is nice to know that our truck can handle just about anything I would care to haul around the country. I hope this gave you some fuel for thought. It really comes down to how you plan to use the truck, budget and desires. Sometimes we think we have to justify a desire. But there is nothing wrong with simply wanting something if the budget allows for it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TLB923 View Post
    Towing a 337 with mine, all within weight ratings and does great (verified three times on fact scales). The weight police/diesel dually brotherhood will have you trading for an f 450 but just keep an eye on your loading and you’ll be fine. Just pulled in from Augusta ga to Huntsville al last night, 60 to 70 mph a g 9.1 mpg.
    Are you towing with an F250 Gas pickup?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. That's my concern, we live in North Carolina and would like to go to the mountains at least once a year and are looking forward to new adventures out west as time moves closer to retirement for me. I don't think we will have a problem with the Gas truck going back and forth to the beach, but it's the mountains that gives me concern.

Right now I'm trying to make the decision to stay with a lighter fifth wheel or go with a heavier one and upgrade the truck later. Tough decision to make right now.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link and towing numbers.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 6.2 gasser. Towed from Augusta ga to gatlinburg and back with no problems. Average 9.3 on tha trip.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get some disc brakes installed on the 303 if I were towing with a gasser. One of the nicest feature of a new diesel is the exhaust brake. If you're heading out west and plan on hitting some mountains with the gasser then having disc brakes would really help on the down hill parts.
    I used to tow with a gasser and have sort of forgot about the times when descending where you have to go easy on the brakes for long stretches. It's been about 6 years since then. JMO but ascending is where the problems occur. Any truck will get you to the top.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning to putt discs on my 337 but reallistically i would not plan to stop a 12000 pound trailer with the TV alone whether it had jake brake or not. Plus the brake system is virtually identical between f-250 and F-350.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on this a little late, but here is ours: We are towing our 303 with GMC gas hd2500. Loaded to our max, and numbers are at max based on towing a fifth wheel, we haven't had any issues towing at all. we have about 20,000 miles, all across the U.S. and only issue is climbing hills. we sometimes get down to 35 mph and gas consumption can get down into 6 or 7. the normal towing for us is about 8 mpg and without any issues. We do have an auxiliary tank so stopping for gas for us is minimal and i can fill up for less cost. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast