User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same setup but havent tried it yet. 2018 303rls + 2017 F250 6.2 gas. ---- Wondering if you run with air bags,, or not necessary??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the GMC 6.0 4x4 standard or somewhat short bed, extended cab, silver in color, HA. Suspension is fine and truck drops less than 2" when loaded to the gills. I use air bags. my reasoning and has been for the 18 plus years of rv travel: decreases or almost eliminates you being slammed into the ground when you go through a dip. also gives quite a bit of stability to the ride. That is me. Also, if you choose the air bags, my thing is that make sure you have them separate air lines so if you go left or right air does not transfer to the other side. My two or three cents worth. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauble59 View Post
    I have the same setup but havent tried it yet. 2018 303rls + 2017 F250 6.2 gas. ---- Wondering if you run with air bags,, or not necessary??
    Sauble59 - Since the 5th wheel pin weight is directly over the rear axle, if the truck does not sit reasonably level without airbags, you should probably reconsider whether this truck is properly equipped to tow this 5th wheel. There are hundreds (literally) of posts on this forum alone, with different theories on this . . . mine is just one. Despite all of the labelling and all of the calculating and all of the advisory websites . . . I have pictures of 250/2500 trucks sitting level and and others sagging significantly hooked to a 303RLS. There are just so many different truck configurations out there.

If the truck and trailer sit reasonably level without air bags, you have a good combination (in my opinion). Air bags can still make a significant improvement to the dynamic interaction of the truck and 5th . . . as Jeff (JFF&KRN) describes. I also run air bags to stabilize the ride . . . usually at 30 psi which statically lifts the rear of the truck about 1/2".

I am not sure that I agree with Jeff's side-to-side argument. I have the on-board compressor system which inflates/deflates both airbags together. The truck would have to lean substantially to transfer air from one bag to the other . . . I don't corner nearly that fast . I think the dual systems are intended primarily for trucks carrying unbalanced loads in the box, such as a generator/welder on one side or similar. Another consideration is the potential difference in temperature of one bag to the other, which can significantly change internal pressure difference if the bags are not linked and can't be adjusted while towing. I know that the bag closer to the exhaust is considerably warmer on my truck.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Sauble59 - Since the 5th wheel pin weight is directly over the rear axle, if the truck does not sit reasonably level without airbags, you should probably reconsider whether this truck is properly equipped to tow this 5th wheel. There are hundreds (literally) of posts on this forum alone, with different theories on this . . . mine is just one. Despite all of the labelling and all of the calculating and all of the advisory websites . . . I have pictures of 250/2500 trucks sitting level and and others sagging significantly hooked to a 303RLS. There are just so many different truck configurations out there.

If the truck and trailer sit reasonably level without air bags, you have a good combination (in my opinion). Air bags can still make a significant improvement to the dynamic interaction of the truck and 5th . . . as Jeff (JFF&KRN) describes. I also run air bags to stabilize the ride . . . usually at 30 psi which statically lifts the rear of the truck about 1/2".

I am not sure that I agree with Jeff's side-to-side argument. I have the on-board compressor system which inflates/deflates both airbags together. The truck would have to lean substantially to transfer air from one bag to the other . . . I don't corner nearly that fast . I think the dual systems are intended primarily for trucks carrying unbalanced loads in the box, such as a generator/welder on one side or similar. Another consideration is the potential difference in temperature of one bag to the other, which can significantly change internal pressure difference if the bags are not linked and can't be adjusted while towing. I know that the bag closer to the exhaust is considerably warmer on my truck.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, makes sense - I'll wait til spring and see how the new rig sits!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, thanks for the input. I had never thought about the sided to side. When I first started using air bags, we installed them based on a friends advice to keep separate. This being said, he had a large cab over camper on his truck at the time. So, for what it is worth, I will agree with you that the side to side isn't a biggies towing a trailer, and yeah, me too, i don't usually go over 100 mph when cornering. HA ! ! ! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sent you a private message.
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234