Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luray KOA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    MtnGuy,

You might be the one to tell me the best places to stay.
    What do you think of Outlanders River Camp?
    We are planning a trip to this area next year for hiking, fishing, kayaking and a day trip to DC.

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim, surprisingly, I am not familiar with the many of the campgrounds in this area. We have seen the signs for the campground, but have never checked it out. We don't camp much locally except in the campgrounds on the Skyline Drive.

My daughter and a friend of ours likes Endless Caverns Campground near New Market, which is across the Massanutten Mountain from Luray. Another friend likes Shenandoah Acres near Stuarts Draft, VA.

Sorry I could not be more help.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    MtnGuy,

You might be the one to tell me the best places to stay.
    What do you think of Outlanders River Camp?
    We are planning a trip to this area next year for hiking, fishing, kayaking and a day trip to DC.

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim, as indicated previously I was not familiar with Outlanders River Camp, but today I had cause to be in Luray, so I rode through the campground. My initial impression is that I would like to stay in a similar campground in our travels. It seems to be a nice destination campground to explore the valley around Luray.

The entrance from Rt. 211 is plenty wide to accommodate longer units, and I see no problems with bigger rigs within the campground. The campground roads are gravel with graded speed bumps. The pull-through sites are plenty long for both a camper and a truck. With the back in sites, you may have to park your truck cross-ways, or back it in beside the camper. Sites seem pretty level, especially considering the hilly terrain around here.

There is a nice fire-pit at every site, as well as a picnic table. Most of the tables seem to fairly new built with Trex, but there a few older wooden tables.

There are a couple of picnic shelters. There is only 1 shower house/rest room building. The missus checked them out and they were clean and neat with concrete floors.

There are several walking trails. There is a pond with a fountain with a couple of barns around that making for a cozy little area.

I think even during the peak season with a full campground, each site should have views of the Massanutten Mountain range, which looks almost on top of the campground. It was beautiful today with the fall colors.

They advertise as almost a mile of river frontage, and a canoe launch. There is also a public canoe launch across the bridge on Rt 211.

There are 2 "log cabins" (log fascia) buildings going up now, and I presume they will be cabins. There were only 4 campers parked there today.

Hope this helps.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure helps. You hit on a couple of key points that we look at. If the restroom looks good, great.
    We tend to be gone quite a bit but enjoy a fire every night (unless we are too tired) so if your not on top of each other is a big plus.

Thanks for checking this out.

Jim
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12