Thread: Heat Question

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat Question

Heat question:
    Every time the heater kicks on there is a loud clicking sound coming from the A/C unit. What is that, it is loud enough to wake us up? We were on battery power so there should be nothing going to the A/C. The heat is set to Auto so the A/C should not be trying to come on. Turned off the circuit breaker, did not help but should of had nothing to do with it as we were on battery.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahcampers View Post
    Every time the heater kicks on there is a loud clicking sound coming from the A/C unit. Bill

By golly that one has me stumped. With no 120v power the A/C unit should be completely inert. The only thing I can imagine is the thermostat was wired as if you had a heat pump installed and when heat is selected it tries to throw a solenoid in the A/C unit that will not respond because there is no alternating current.

What RV do you have?
    Do you have a heat pump A/C unit installed?
    Are you sure it's the A/C unit and not just the heater igniting?
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    By golly that one has me stumped. With no 120v power the A/C unit should be completely inert. The only thing I can imagine is the thermostat was wired as if you had a heat pump installed and when heat is selected it tries to throw a solenoid in the A/C unit that will not respond because there is no alternating current.

What RV do you have?
    Do you have a heat pump A/C unit installed?
    Are you sure it's the A/C unit and not just the heater igniting?
    Yeah that is what I thought. Our unit is the 2800bh
    It is definitely not the ignition, as you can stand under the AC unit and hear it clicking. It is really strange. I do not think we have a heat pump. Any idea what to do next?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure the T-stat fan setting is set to Auto. I think if it is set to High or Low, the AC fan will run with the furnace. Because you don't have AC power, the AC fan is not coming on, but there may be a DC relay that controls the AC fan. You may be hearing the DC relay activate. It won't hurt anything, but no point in having it activate.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Make sure the T-stat fan setting is set to Auto. I think if it is set to High or Low, the AC fan will run with the furnace. Because you don't have AC power, the AC fan is not coming on, but there may be a DC relay that controls the AC fan. You may be hearing the DC relay activate. It won't hurt anything, but no point in having it activate.
    You are correct as I had to pull out the thermostat instructions and go through them. It must be a DC relay that is clicking. I have it set to auto and still clicks it does go off after a few minutes. As long as it does not hurt anything sounds like I am ok?