User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security System for RV

I searched an only found one post about a security system that someone talked about. I know of one full time friend that has a SimpliSafe and is happy with that. Any additional suggestions from readers here? Thanks, Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What sort of system are you looking for? A simple safe/vault or a full Alarm Panel with sensors? This is the industry I have been in for 30 years so I can easily provide advice.

If you were looking for a complete Alarm panel, then you can simply purchase any panel you wish and hardwire or go wireless for the sensors. All modern alarm panels run off of 120v and 12vdc (usually a Gel Cell battery) so they actually lend well to an RV Install. However I would not leave the panel powered up for a long period of time on just your main battery, it will kill it quick (keep trailer plugged in or on solar).

The real issue is the sensors and mounting them in an RV without it either looking terrible or pulling your hair out to run wires. If the ceiling is accessible then it would be fairly easily to run four conductor (quad or station Z cable) to each sensor location.

Wireless would be much cleaner but you’d need to replace the batteries in a few years on all the sensors depending on the usage.

Something like a Bosch B series would lend itself well. It has smaller/slimmer wireless sensors, supports TCP/IP on board and can send emails/alarms as required through IP. You can also control it from your phone etc.

https://us.boschsecurity.com/en/prod...s/bseries_4109

There is also a nice touch screen keypad that would work well in an RV and look clean (you just need to get a cable fished up to the keypad wherever you mount it). You would need/want a B930 ATM style keypad to keep near where you mount the main panel for easy of programming. The Touch screen is limited in what it can do but still can program zones (sensors) etc, actually might be more than enough for an RV.

The real question is what do you want it to do when it detects a zone in alarm?

A. Activate a siren?
    B. Send an email (requires internet access, Cellular router in the RV would work well there)?
    C. Contact a central station (again requires internet access or a land line/phone line).
    D. Use a GSM communicator to send all signals and emails etc (this would be a monthly cost for the GSM and for the central station).

The GSM communicator is the most “complete” option for an RV since it will work pretty much anywhere (as long as you have cell signal) but all you will get out of this is a phone call from a central station stating what has gone into alarm. Police likely won’t dispatch to an RV that keeps changing it’s address. So having it send an email to your phone and possibly a siren to deter the would be thieves might be best.

There are tons of panels on the market so really it just comes down to cost and features. I would avoid the Honeywell Vista series (even the 21ip) unless you have a friend in the industry or you know what you are doing as they are still programmed the “old fashioned way”... practically hexadecimal. Very difficult for a non-techie to understand whereas the more modern panels like DMP, Bosch B series and others have “English” programming. They ask you questions and you answer, no need to look up crazy S001:0101010100111 in a programming manual. However Vista is popular in the USA so getting assistance might be easy. DSC is the big player here in Canada but their older panel is just as ancient as the Honeywell series... they have a newer Neo panel but we have yet to play with it. So far nothing has touched the simplicity and easy of programming a Bosch B series panel (tons of YouTube videos out there) for basic functions (but I’m sure there are better if you look hard enough).

Note that a lot of the panels on the market use “proprietary” programming software that either requires a serial number or a USB dongle. So a friend helps there in the industry or making sure that whatever you require can be programmed fully from the keypad.

Give us an idea what you want to do and I’m sure we can come up with something and a number of products.

Cheers
    Tim

Note: I deal in medium to large commercial and all the way up to full enterprise level systems (entire office towers and warehouses) so my options tend to lean towards “high end” and “high quality” but may be WAY overkill for an RV with two door sensors lol.

Something like that Simplysafe (just looked at the webpage) may be better suited for a non-techie/tinkerer but don’t forget you will need constant internet and they will also charge you a monthly fee. A dedicated panel that only sends to your phone is free monthly except for your internet.

Watch some panels though, some companies like DMP charge for their mobile software monthly!!! So your still trapped in the monthly fee scheme. That is why I would prefer panels that I can full control/program/monitor myself using the GSM Internet I already have in my trailer (or wifi when at home/parked).

If you don’t mind the monthly fees you have lots of options.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Protection of your choice while at the RV, good insurance to help replace items lost and RV damage when you are away. If you are like me, you will set the sirens/horn off a few times if you go with an alarm system. Sending an e-mail or monitoring place watching, not sure how that would work if you move around much.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Verizon MiFi in the trailer that I use for internet access, Netflix etc when on the road.

I also have an inexpensive Amcrest WiFi webcam that I plug in when I leave the dog in the trailer. It has point, tilt and zoom feature plus audio.

I’ve got a spare Honeywell Vista 20p, 6160RF keypad, Envisalink-3, WiFi acces point and thought about installing this in the trailer. You got me thinking. I could self monitor via text and email and Control basic functions with the Envisalink to the MiFi via an access point, all at no monthly fee.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon has a wireless system called fortress you can use and it works great and is cheap.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a netgear Arlo Pro2 wireless system. If you have internet you will get the text message on a trigger. You can set it on motion, or audio, and have a choice to set the siren or not. Once it trips, you will automatically have a captured video clip and can listen in or talk back through the camera. They are pricey but I think its worth it.