Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprising Cause of Leaking Side Slide Out on 2670MK

The DW and I picked up a 2018 2670MK just this past week. Had it home for a couple of days, all closed up, and had an evening rain shower. Went to check out the camper the next morning and was heartbroken by a puddle of water on the floor in front of the refrigerator. Got lucky there was no water damage to the wood work. Tracing the source of the leak, we found the top of the slide out also had a puddle of water on it. Got out the watering bucket and some towels and tried to recreate the storm of the previous night. Easily found the source of water infiltration.

When raining, with the awning closed, water was pooling in the crease of the closed awning and dripping down through where the awning tucks into the awning rail landing right on top of the slide's bulb seal between the fascia trim and the body. The bulb seal didn't seal well enough and allowed water into the coach. So much water that the 2 wiper seals behind the bulb did hardly anything to stop the flow. Most of what I poured on the awning ended up inside. It was the back half of the seal that was leaking as it was nicely compressed close to the door, but just barely touching the fascia trim towards the rear of the coach.

Figured the slide wasn't closed properly, so fully extended it and retracted it a few times. Retried the water test. Fail. Getting more upset. More rain in the forecast.

The coach was all closed up for traveling, but was parked a little off level with the door side high by a couple of inches. I leveled it, poured more water on the awning and this time the water found its way into the drain holes instead of onto the floor. At least I can relax a little bit if there's more rain. If it wasn't off-level to begin with I would never had known there was a leak.

Our son is a service tech at the dealership and had never seen one of these leak when closed. Ever. He told us to re-sync the slide, which we did, but it still leaked. We brought it back to the dealership to get it fully checked out. The sharp eyes of the master tech quickly saw the problem.

This was a newer build 2018 with the Furrion stove. Apparently when retracting the slide, the handle of the stove was bumping into the kitchen island causing the rear side Schwintek to back off about 1/4 inch - just enough to cause a bad leak.

The dealer fixed the issue by relocating the island just enough to allow for proper clearance and now there's no more leak.

If only they could find the cause of the repetitively blown 2 amp fuse for the awning light then all will be well.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GDRV Missy - Can you please see that this get's into Micah and Jerry McCarthy's hands? It looks like it could be a systemic issue that the team needs to know about so that it can be prevented on future builds.

Jim

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Afternoon,

Sorry, I just saw this & I sure will forward this information on to the correct parties.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Missy
    Mailing & Shipping Address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 11356 CR 2, Middlebury, IN 46540
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

Contact us:
    - Call Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Send a fax to (574) 825-9249
    - Or email: [email protected]

*For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number.*

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shortly after Missy's reply I received a phone call From Brian at Grand Design to follow up on this matter. What a great way to keep customers engaged. I never received anywhere close to this level of attention as a customer with warranty concerns from either Heartland or Forest River. Thank you GD for restoring faith.
    Lee and Sandi
    2018 GD Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve 4x4 Gas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]