Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    When you had your roof replaced!?!?! Our trailers are about the same age. Is that the next "mod" I'm going to have to make?
    A tree damaged Paul's roof. You should be good for quite a while.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul,

Which King antenna are you considering? The turnable directional (probably with built in signal strength meter) or the omni directional? We find that our bat wing sometimes flutters enough in a wind to lose reception . . . so, I'm interested in this discussion. None of these alternatives are particularly expensive.
    https://kingconnect.com/product/king-jack-antenna/
    Rob
    That's the unit I am looking at Rob. ( https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8500-D...2Bantenna&th=1 ). I'm curious about whether I need to also purchase a mounting plate and how that works with the mounting plates that the bat wing uses. I also like the idea of never worrying about retracting the antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    When you had your roof replaced!?!?! Our trailers are about the same age. Is that the next "mod" I'm going to have to make?
    I ran into an oak tree in PA Jim. Ripped a gash about 4 ft long right on the roof edge over the BR slide. Ask me if I was pissed off! I called Jerry and we pulled directly to the factory. Stayed for free for a couple days at their CG and on Monday they got us set up at a new RV Service shop they recommended because they couldn't fit us in for a week or so. Shout out to Allegiant RV Service. It's barely a mile from the GD Service Center and a brand new facility. The shop is owned by the parts manager for the nearby Winnebago factory! and is staffed by experienced RV techs one of which worked with GD. They were very good and I would highly recommend them to anyone needing help that can't get into the factory service center.

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Paul, have you been up on the roof since the replacement? Wen the GD service center resealed our roof they got a little heavy around the antenna and ours wouldn't turn completely, we had to cut some of the caulking away.
    I have checked and that isn't the problem in this situation. As you know, from inside you pull down slightly on the collar and turn it to spin the antenna. Mine doesn't seem to "engage" and the collar spins but not the antenna. I'm sure I could probably find and fix the problem but I looked at these King Digital antennas at the Rally and liked the idea of not having to retract them and then read they worked better so I'm thinking of killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah those dang trees. Sorry for the hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pilots say there are those who have and those who will land with their wheels up. I figure RV antennas are the same way - I know I've come close to leaving it up several times.

Just figure you're going to replace the batwing sooner or later. Do you want to do it at a time and place of your choosing or when you're also patching the hole where the antenna used to be.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 337 is (finally) back from its vacation at the shop and I have it parked in the same spot where it used to pick up all the local stations. I marked the direction it was pointed before, only this time it is backed in to the slot so the antenna has to be turned 180 degrees from where it was. Now there are two of the local channels missing. It just happens that with the RV turned this way the antenna points at the bedroom AC unit. Perhaps there is something to elevating the antenna a couple of feet.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    My 337 is (finally) back from its vacation at the shop and I have it parked in the same spot where it used to pick up all the local stations. I marked the direction it was pointed before, only this time it is backed in to the slot so the antenna has to be turned 180 degrees from where it was. Now there are two of the local channels missing. It just happens that with the RV turned this way the antenna points at the bedroom AC unit. Perhaps there is something to elevating the antenna a couple of feet.
    Well that's interesting feedback John! I didn't realize they worked on such direct line of site that the signal would be blocked by the A/C unit! Glad I haven't made a move yet. I'll be curious to see if anyone else with the King unit reports similar findings.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been researching these things too. The King installation instructions say "no closer than 20" to anything 8" tall". The newer Reflections have these antennas further back in more open space on the roof. I am wondering if it might be better (and easier) to put the King head on the original lifting arm .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I've been researching these things too. The King installation instructions say "no closer than 20" to anything 8" tall". The newer Reflections have these antennas further back in more open space on the roof. I am wondering if it might be better (and easier) to put the King head on the original lifting arm .

Rob
    Interesting but it won't help my reason for wanting to change. The mechanism to spin it once it has raised isn't working so I was hoping the roof mounted King would do the trick. Poop
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our batwing replaced while at the rally and we were able to increase channel selection by almost 50%. We had King install the antennae that replaces the batwing. Still cranks up and turns like the batwing.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to go the "easy way" and just replaced our batwing with the King antenna that goes on top of the original lifting mechanism. This gets it well clear of the nearby vent cover (we don't have a front AC). Installation took literally 2 minutes (and didn't use most of the alternative parts in the box ). We get exactly the same number of channels that we got with the batwing, although the signal strength seems to be stronger. Interesting that the signal direction is 90 degrees to what it was with the batwing because of how the antenna mounts to the lifting mechanism. This actually helps us on our long term winter site because previously, the best direction was exactly in the segment of rotation that is not reachable. Now we can fine tune in this area.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast