Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Original Bat Wing replaced with King Digital Antenna Question

I'm looking for feedback from folks who's trailer originally came with the Bat wing antenna and changed it out for the newer King digital unit.

My bat wing has worked okay since new however when we recently had our roof replaced they must not have re-installed it correctly because the unit no longer turns correctly so I thought I may just replace it with the newer style King unit.

I guess my question is if you have noticed any improvement since you changed?

There might not be anyone who has done this but I thought I would check.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I'm looking for feedback from folks who's trailer originally came with the Bat wing antenna and changed it out for the newer King digital unit.

My bat wing has worked okay since new however when we recently had our roof replaced they must not have re-installed it correctly because the unit no longer turns correctly so I thought I may just replace it with the newer style King unit.

How about if I changed out the antenna by changing RV's? My prior fiver had the crankup batwing and I couldn't complain about the performance. My home is 30+ miles from all the transmitters AND on the back side of a big hill. My house has a top of the line long-range antenna on a tall pole and the Wineguard unit pulled in the same stations. My 337 has the King Jack antenna - the one that only rotates - and is parked in the same spot. In my very limited use, the new one seems very slightly less sensitive, but it is hard to tell. I may have not had it pointed exactly right, but only time and use will tell. It seems very close to the Wineguard performance wise.

Why do they not put an arrow on the inside unit so you can tell where the antenna is pointing? It would be so simple to use a compass to point the antenna, but the handle doesn't ever seem to have any relation to where the antenna is pointed - in fact, on the King Jack antenna I'm not sure which end to point. Probably helps them sell their super-duper station finder gizmos.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swapped mine couple months ago and love it. I do get better reception than the bat wing. Just make sure to get the one with the lights to indicate strongest signal. Very easy to install.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

Which King antenna are you considering? The turnable directional (probably with built in signal strength meter) or the omni directional? We find that our bat wing sometimes flutters enough in a wind to lose reception . . . so, I'm interested in this discussion. None of these alternatives are particularly expensive.
    https://kingconnect.com/product/king-jack-antenna/

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul,

Which King antenna are you considering? The turnable directional (probably with built in signal strength meter) or the omni directional? We find that our bat wing sometimes flutters enough in a wind to lose reception . . . so, I'm interested in this discussion. None of these alternatives are particularly expensive.
    https://kingconnect.com/product/king-jack-antenna/

Rob
    My prior fiver came with an omni-directional "mushroom" antenna - not sure if it was a King. It worked great for FM radio but wouldn't pick up a TV station on the other side of the street.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    My prior fiver came with an omni-directional "mushroom" antenna - not sure if it was a King. It worked great for FM radio but wouldn't pick up a TV station on the other side of the street.
    Hi John,

I have an omni directional TV antenna on my boat. It seems to receive all the stations that the online mapping shows are in range.
    http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/pro...-hdtv-antenna/
    Omni directional is kind of the only option on a boat, if you anchor out and are constantly changing direction. Also, this would be convenient on an RV if all the stations are not in the same general direction. But . . . I have also read elsewhere that aimed antennas are better for RVs . . . confirming your experience.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

When you had your roof replaced!?!?! Our trailers are about the same age. Is that the next "mod" I'm going to have to make?
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul, have you been up on the roof since the replacement? Wen the GD service center resealed our roof they got a little heavy around the antenna and ours wouldn't turn completely, we had to cut some of the caulking away.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Paul, have you been up on the roof since the replacement? Wen the GD service center resealed our roof they got a little heavy around the antenna and ours wouldn't turn completely, we had to cut some of the caulking away.

x2 . . . had exactly the same thing happen after factory service. The caulking touch-up guy obviously doesn't understand about rotating TV antennas . . . he carefully caulked the rotating seam on ours . . . all the way around ! It was fresh, so it peeled out quite easily.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded to the King Jack replacement antenna that goes on top of the bat wing mast and also installed a separate king signal meter, big improvement over what came stock on my Momentum.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast