Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Yes, pin weight and hitch weight refer to the same thing on a 5th wheel.

My 337 came with an empty pin weight of 2250lbs where per the Grand Design spec on their web page Lists it as 2090 lbs. that’s dry weight. When loaded for a trip my pin weight runs about 2800-2900 lbs. that’s with just enough fresh water to flush toilets a few times or wash hands when stopping between campgrounds. Plus clothes in front closet, food in pantry, refridgerator stocked, dishes, silverware, drinks, bedroom tv, hibachi, charcoal, tools, lawn chairs, bottle jack, tools, water hoses, sewer hoses, favorite beverages, etc etc etc etc.
    Jerry,

Fresh water doesn't really affect pin weight on the 337 since the fresh water tank is over the axles (although the 6 gallons in the water heater is about 1/3 of the way from the front axle to the pin). The gray and black tanks, however, are forward of the axles and will add to pin weight. The propane tanks and battery are the other biggies as they are heavy and farthest forward. Pantry is over the rear axle and doesn't affect pin weight; frig is just forward of the front axle, so impact is minimal. As you mentioned, front closet, under the bed, dresser, and anything in the basement put about 50% of their weight on the pin.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so basically we need a ram 3500 to tow it

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to know. we will consider the weight of all that is toward the front of the rig

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnkelly View Post
    good to know. we will consider the weight of all that is toward the front of the rig
    If you "Reply With Quote" (the button at the bottom left of each post), we'll know to which post you're responding.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you "Reply With Quote" (the button at the bottom left of each post), we'll know to which post you're responding.

Rob
    thank you I'm a newbe

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Performance Trailer Braking

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    OK, I'll bite. <G> I'm pulling with a 3/4 and honestly don't know its back there. However, Paul is right. However, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. I'm shopping hard for a F350. I'll have to order what I want and I'm kind of caught in the model year change over or I'd have my order in by now. My F250 has the camper package springs and I'm over the axle rating with the RV very lightly loaded. To continue is asking for problems. BTDT.

FWIW, I bought my 337 in September and I probably looked at 99% of the 377 build sheets on Texas lots and I don't remember seeing one that didn't have the second A/C. That should tell you that they don't sell many around here with a single AC. Our last - 30' - fiver had a single 15k and it struggled in the summer.

Another FWIW, my local shop (not dealer) had visiting hours this morning and we got to visit our 337. It is in for a new fridge cooling unit. They've installed two and both have been bad - let's hope third time is the charm. I figure it is infant mortality and can't get to upset about it. Stuff happens and I'd rather get the bugs out now while there is no question about warranty. While it has been in the shop I had them install disk brakes from Performance Trailer Braking. I fully expected to see the shoes greased - I wasn't able to lock up the tires on gravel with the controller cranked up to the max - and was very pleasantly surprised to find no grease. This is a 7/17 build with Lippert axles and Dexter hubs.

I've always heard that you shouldn't worry about whether your truck can pull it, can it stop it? I now feel confident that it will.
    how much did the disc brakes or performance breaks cost

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you I'm a newbe
    And... I just realized I goofed! The button is to the bottom RIGHT of each post. Sorry!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Stock drum brakes replaced with disc brakes on our 337 after about 3 months of ownership. It made a world of difference.

The cost was $1400 for the complete kit and the local trailer repair shop installed it for $600 labor. Total of $2,000 parts and labor.

I got my kit from www.stopyourtrailer.com and they recommended a shop near me to do the installation.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The final accounting isn't in, yet, but the parts kit was $1400 and the shop estimated labor at $400-$500 - I think right at $600 labor is typical and won't have any heartburn if my shop runs over their estimate. The quote from stopyourtrailer was very close. In the end, I went with performance because I liked their kit just a little better and they also have mobile install teams if I couldn't find a local shop to do the job.

FWIW, there was quite a bit of discussion about the best way to run the brake lines. One school says run a line down one side of the frame with a crossover hose attached to one of the axles. I preferred to run a line down both sides of the frame. In the end, my shop felt there were to many water lines and tanks along one side of the frame and odds are that they'd hit them with a screw. So it ended up that they ran a single line on the frame then used a steel crossover line on the axle.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we are a few days away from buying a 2018 Reflection 337rls. We love the design and layout for the most part. Wish it had a 2nd A/C. Does any one have any issues with it cooling off?? We live in the south west where it gets extremely hot. also reading a lot of bad reviews on the axels, brakes and faulty appliances. making us think twice about buying one. could use some feed back on any issues or lack there of.
    I️ would get the second AC, I️ had a 36’ travel trailer before my 5th wheel an. We did not have the second AC the trailer cooled ok but not great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast