User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    I didn’t think that little hole would have such a negative impact. I agree that the wet bolts should be kept lubed. I considered never fail bushings when I installed wet bolts. Glad to hear they work so well.
    My experience is that the tiny lube hole has no negative affect if the wet bolt is cleaned and run dry in a "never fail" bushing. I ran mine this way for a year and about 5,000 miles and specifically looked for any evidence of damage when I subsequently disassembled again to install the MORryde heavy shackle, bronze bushing, wet bolt kit.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    My experience is that the tiny lube hole has no negative affect if the wet bolt is cleaned and run dry in a "never fail" bushing. I ran mine this way for a year and about 5,000 miles and specifically looked for any evidence of damage when I subsequently disassembled again to install the MORryde heavy shackle, bronze bushing, wet bolt kit.

Rob
    I never tried this. But I think it would be even worse than running wet bolts dry in bronze bushings.
    Lippert agrees as the never fail bushing instructions specifically warn NOT to do this.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come it says I don't have permission to look at these photo's??????

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat&Renee View Post
    How come it says I don't have permission to look at these photo's??????
    You need to become a site sponsor to see photos.
    The cost is $12.00/yr. A little less for 2 and 3 years. You can join by clicking on tab above "become a sponsor".

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I never tried this. But I think it would be even worse than running wet bolts dry in bronze bushings.
    Lippert agrees as the never fail bushing instructions specifically warn NOT to do this.
    huntindog - The LCI instructions warn not to put any lubrication between a shackle bolt and a never fail bushing. I don't think they say not to use a clean bolt with the small lubrication hole. What is the failure mode that you are worried about from this small opening?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    huntindog - The LCI instructions warn not to put any lubrication between a shackle bolt and a never fail bushing. I don't think they say not to use a clean bolt with the small lubrication hole. What is the failure mode that you are worried about from this small opening?

Rob
    When I installed mine 3 years ago, the instructions said not to do it.
    As for the potential problem... It would be worse than the bronze ones I let get low on grease. The hole starts tearing up the bushing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
    Sorry Jim, I meant to add that also. Springs have wet bolts on both the shackle end and hanger end. I have attached some photos, hope they turn out. I also attached a photo of the hanger bracket. The reason for this is if I remember right it looks more robust compared to the Lippert one.

Attachment 10477

Attachment 10478

Attachment 10479
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_140011.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	10643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_140002.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	10644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_135923.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	10645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_140033.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	10646

Well I found sometime to take a few pics. they look very similar to the ones above. Guess the guy running the grease gun didn't know how to use it. Think mine will need some grease as well. I would assume pump enough grease into where you see it coming out the edges of the bushings whip off the extra and should be good to go right?
    Also thinking of using the same grease that I will be using for the bearings since it will be handy making sure it meets manufacture specs.
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NWMinnesota - That's exactly what I do. Pump it in until you see evidence that it's full by squirting out.

Thanks for all the input so far folks. The chart is by no means complete though. Here is what I have so far:

Jim

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tucson Jim,
    Mine look like those pictures. Red grease on the zerk and none visible within the brackets. Could I also be the victim of the greasy finger wipe? I can't get grease in any zerk. Does that mean that I need to jack up frame to lube it?
    Thanks

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Tucson Jim,
    Mine look like those pictures. Red grease on the zerk and none visible within the brackets. Could I also be the victim of the greasy finger wipe? I can't get grease in any zerk. Does that mean that I need to jack up frame to lube it?
    Thanks

Jim
    Wow - I'm sure concerned with multiple owners not seeing any grease on their suspensions other than the tip of the zerk fitting.

Jim - I've dealt with the zerks not taking grease in the past. The biggest improvement I got was to purchase a grease gun with at least 10,000psi of pressure. Many of the lower priced guns only develop 4,000-4,500psi. There is frequently a lot of weight on the suspension and if it's all bearing on the hole in the wet bolt, it's tough to get grease in there. If a higher pressure gun doesn't work, then the next step is to jack up the RV by the frame and try to take some weight off the bolt. I've had them accept grease when about half of the weight was off when they wouldn't take grease while on the ground or fully jacked up.

Here's a grease gun from Amazon that has enough pressure. You can usually find a 10K PSI gun at your local auto parts store too:

https://www.amazon.com/Alemite-500-D...psi+grease+gun

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast