User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Current GDRV Suspension Components - 2018 Models (September 2017 forward)

As GDRV models move forward, they frequently make changes to components used in their units. Starting at the beginning of September 2017, all Grand Design units had major suspension component changes. The primary change was switching from Lippert axles and related components to Dexter products. I've been talking to folks at GD to try and thoroughly understand the changes so we can advise members of the forum when problems arise and to discuss maintenance. In order to thoroughly understand the changes, I'd like to get feedback from any new owners to complete the chart below:

Here's what I need to finish the chart which I'll post in the Reference Library:

Imagine - What equalizer is used?
    All Units - What are the equalizer and spring hanger bushings? Bronze, plastic, other?
    All Units - Where are the Zerk fittings locate if any? I know on the new Dexter E-Z Flex equalizer, there are supposed to be two zerk fittings at the top of the equalizer for lubricating the top bolt. However, are there wet bolts on the shackles also? And are there wet bolts at the spring hangers?

Thanks.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pick my Imagine 2800BH up friday so I'll update when it arrives.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning on replacing the current suspension with Mor-Ryde Independent suspension in the spring. I put the IS suspension on my last 5er and loved how it towed.
    John & Joyce
    2017 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ford F-450 King Ranch
    I'd Rather Have More Truck Than I Need Than Need More Truck Than I Have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Pick my Imagine 2800BH up friday so I'll update when it arrives.
    Terrific - Thanks!

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim

Today I crawled under our Reflection 303 that we ordered and received on 10/18/17 which has Dexter axles and there are 2 zerks on the equalizer and the bolts are wet and the spring shackles are also wet bolts. I can't tell about the bushings positively but from what I can see it looks like metal bushings on both the equalizer and the spring shackles.

Also I don't know who did it but they are all well lubed. Grease on each wet bolt and zerks on the equalizer. I will crawl back under and take a rag and wipe them down but wanted to post this first.

Butch
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Terrific Butch! Can you tell if there are grease fittings on the outer ends of the springs? Not at the shackle end, but at the hanger end?

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Terrific Butch! Can you tell if there are grease fittings on the outer ends of the springs? Not at the shackle end, but at the hanger end?

Jim
    Sorry Jim, I meant to add that also. Springs have wet bolts on both the shackle end and hanger end. I have attached some photos, hope they turn out. I also attached a photo of the hanger bracket. The reason for this is if I remember right it looks more robust compared to the Lippert one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	10477

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	10478

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	10479
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Superb Butch. I'm updating the chart and as soon as I get a little more input I'll repost it. Thanks for the pictures. They really help. But the interesting thing is that I see is that there is no visible evidence of grease between the springs and the hangers. Normally, when you inject grease into these areas, you pump it until you start to see evidence of it squirting out. And the grease on the end of the zerks looks really odd. It's almost like somebody wiped it on there with a finger or pumped very little in. If it were mine, I'd get a grease gun on those fittings right away and pump enough in that I was satisfied they were really lubed well.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 12-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that the 303 with Dexter suspension does not have the larger outer hangers that were on the Reflection 150 Series that was at the Elkhart Rally. Jerry McCarthy told me that these were required with Dexter suspension . . . apparently not, at least on a 303.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the loco dealer and looked at a 150 series suspension. The hangers were quite long and had two sets of holes for the spring wet bolt. Sort of universal looking thing. Not sure I understand the angle on the hanger but functionally they look the same as other hangers. I think the hangers in the pictures above are Lippert. They look like the ones we saw at the rally and they had Lippert stamped on them. Lippert still assembles the chassis so it would make sense that the hangers are Lippert also. Much better than construction than the hangers on my trailer and much better welding also.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast