User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Question Anyone ever had problems with homeless in Walmart parking lots?

I just saw this video on Youtube and although I knew RV'ers were welcome at Walmart,
    I didn't know there were homeless people camping out there for months or years on end.
    Does this concern anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AWLo_fK1U

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the municipality, its codes, local law enforcement, and the individual Walmart managers. There is a PDF file available on-line that lists all the Walmarts in the country and whether or not they permit overnight stays. Personally, we have not run into any cases of blatant homesteading in Walmart parking lots - but I'm sure some communities have problems with it. We don't "Wal-dock," so it's not really a concern for us.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Trinidad, CO in October. I was pulling a Polaris General on a trailer. A guy came over as I came into the parking lot and said that someone had broken into his truck last night and stole his tools, guns and race car parts. Luckily they didn't steal his race car. He said the police said that it was the homeless folks staying at the Walmart next door. Plus Trinidad is right across the border from NM so all of the potheads come across for marijuana. I told the Comfort Inn manager I would not be staying there anymore unless they put in more lights and a security system. I would not stay in that Walmart either.
    Next year I will stay at Walsenburg.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be rare. I have seen homeless at Walmart but not there every day/week. Walmarts I have stayed at all the overnighters have disappeared by 8AM.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have stayed at Walmarts, Lowes, Cabellas, Cracker Barrel, truck stops, Pizza Hut, Car Dealers and museums. Just ask the managers or owners for permission. if they are ok with it, they will tell you where to park etc. I also get their name, jot it down so if someone questions me, (only happened once) I let them know so and so said it was ok. If they aren't ok with it, then it is usually due to city code and they will let you know as well. We have never had any issues with homeless, but we are very careful of where we stay and our surroundings. Best overnight for no cost, Lowes in Santa Clarita Ca. parked out back and had a beautiful view of the mountains to the north west and east! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have only stayed in Wal-Mart a few times. Was in a hurry and just needed a few hours rest. An old Reno buddy used to talk about how much he saved not paying for camping but would spend $60+ before hitting the road
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being camp ground hosts was a bit of an eye opener. There are several degrees of homelessness. Drug addicts passed out in the ditch being the low end, me being the upper end. One of my favorite annoying jokes when discussing what I do with people who are not familiar with full timer RV ers is that I am homeless, then I ask if I can have a dollar. Most people roll their eyes and laugh politely.

So you have the truly desperate, the ones that need to steal.
    Next comes wanderers , a little on the mentally challenged side, but not harmful in any other way. They just don't like structure.
    Next comes hard times folks. Honest people that something bad has occurred or they have made really poor choices.
    Car campers come next. Two groups here, people kicked out of their houses etc living in their car until they can get their feet under them and then there are adventurers who have chosen to live out of their car while "seeing" America etc.

While working in Virginia there was a 50-60 year old women living in a tent in the NF campground. NF has a two week max stay policy. Pretty much destitute, when she could no longer get her mental health meds she got a little whacky. Eventually the rangers had to do their duty.

While working at McKinney Falls State Park in Austin TX I was the night campground host. Main duty was to lock the gate at 10pm and check for "unregistered guests". That was a bit of an eye opener for me, I never realized there were so many people living on the edge.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750