Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boondocking in a solitude

We don't RV yet, but would be ok with boondocking on and off during our travels. Did a bunch of reading and still have questions
    So, hypothetically, boondocking with something like a 375RES with res. Fridge for 3 to 4 days. No generator or solar.
    I see these trailers do not come with a battery, so what would I need?
    Can I expect to up be able to use the AC?
    How long will batteries keep the fridge running?
    What else will I be able to use?

Thanks for your input

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have some challenges boondocking with a rig like that and no generator. I’m not up to speed on the capability of solar but your AC is a big power draw. Residential refrigerator also tough would be better to have one that runs on LP also. I’m sure some others will chime in here that know more than I do on this subject. We always do full hookups - just our preference. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've boondocked exclusively for more than 40 years (only place I'm ever plugged in to shore power is at home) in various RVs, the latest being a Solitude. I currently have two 12 volt (so called) deep cycle batteries, a 5500 watt onboard generator and a 95 watt suitcase solar panel (by the way . . . for the price you pay for these units, if your dealer won't throw in a couple of batteries, find one that will). My refrigerator runs on LP unless I'm running the generator, and even at that, I can tell you that these things are power hogs. I doubt that you will be able to run the AC, and even only running the refrigerator, I would be surprised if you make it through one day without having to charge your batteries. The solar helps take some of the pressure off, but I still need to run the generator for awhile nearly every day to keep up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 375 res. This is a big, heavy, clumsy trailer and I wouldn't want to take it very far off the pavement. That being said I have been off the grid (a friends Pasture) for as long as 9 days. With a decent generator (3500W or more) you can boondock in luxury and keep the batteries charged. The limiting factors will be the holding tanks. We have the RV fridge and ran the fridge and hot water heater on propane. I'm not sure how a res fridge would do. I would think with a res fridge and no generator or solar you would be hard pressed to make it 3 or 4 days.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air conditioning will not run unless you do some major modifications with inverter and battery banks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am familiar with a boat that does sort of what you are wishing for. A residential fridge and he can even run his AC for short periods. He has a bank of 24 deep cycle 6V batteries which will last 2 - 3 days without plugging into shorepower.

There are a lot of websites that can help you understand the storage of Ah at 12VDC and the conversion of this energy to 120VAC. Basically it is a 10:1 ratio. You need ten times the battery storage capacity at 12V as what you will use at 120V.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Solitude 310GK with residential fridge and two group 27 batteries. With nothing else running except the fridge I could could get 18 to 20 hours of run time without recharging the batteries. The dealer said I could get up to 24 hours without charging the batteries but never pushed it that far.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your input.
    Sorta what i thoughtp.
    So, if i wanted to go to Quartzsite for a week and boondock, what's the minimum my rv needs to be equipped with to do that?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    We have a 2018 375 res. This is a big, heavy, clumsy trailer and I wouldn't want to take it very far off the pavement. That being said I have been off the grid (a friends Pasture) for as long as 9 days. With a decent generator (3500W or more) you can boondock in luxury and keep the batteries charged. The limiting factors will be the holding tanks. We have the RV fridge and ran the fridge and hot water heater on propane. I'm not sure how a res fridge would do. I would think with a res fridge and no generator or solar you would be hard pressed to make it 3 or 4 days.
    We have many CG's here in Oregon that don't have any water, elec. Spigots scattered throughout though. While they're not true boondocking spots to some, they are non service CG's. You don't have to drive off the road at all to get to them.
    I guess the term 'dry camping' would be better. As far as the OP goes, if you have a gen or several dedicated fridge batteries with solar you'll be fine. You won't last more than 2 days with just two house batteries that run everything.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/rv-r...igerator-power

This is a very informative article regarding the use of a residential fridge while boondocking. The author give great info about power consumption and how much battery power and solar power is needed to run just the refrigerator for a 24 hour period. Check it out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast