Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bank refuses to do business with this full timer, address insufficient

A Chase financial adviser in Utah found a 7 year annuity plan that would suit us. He couldn't write the plan as we are FL residents and he was not licensed for FL. So while we were visiting FL we went to a local Chase branch. We have had Chase accounts for over 5 years. They looked at our drivers license, checked our account, then introduced us to the local financial adviser, we made an appointment for the next day. The intake guy later called us and asked if we could provide a physical address. We had been using DW's fathers address but he passed away. So we said no, the only address we had at this time was our domicile address provided by a service. He called a little later and said that he was sorry but they would not be able to do business with us.

I argued that this address was where we registered to vote, received and paid federal taxes, registered our vehicles, etc. He restated that they were unable to do business with us do to the requirements of the Patriot Act.

That hurt my feelings. So I did a little research. Yes indeed Section 326 of the Patriot Act requires financial institutions develop a Customer Identity Program (CIP). I could not find Chases CIP online. I got bogged down trying to decipher the requirements for a CIP, but apparently each institution can set their own requirements. So I looked for basic requirements and found this web site. Privacy Rights ORG - CIP

From this web site I found there are 4 minimum requirements:
    Name
    Date of birth (for an individual)
    Address
    Identification number

They go on to say that "The CIP Rule requires a physical address." Paraphrased: Home address will do. The home of a next of kin or other contact individual is also acceptable.

I called back and advised them we had a next of kin address, but they were through with us and refused a third time to "do business".

I write this for two purposes, I want to whine a little. Send cheese please. The main reason is to educate my fellow full timers on this policy so that as your financial needs change you are forewarned of the new (relatively) requirements and can be prepared so you are not embarrassed by the "Sorry, we can't do business with you", thing.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided some time ago to try not to have much to do with Chase. Their idea of "customer service" is to make you beg and then say NO!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I decided some time ago to try not to have much to do with Chase. Their idea of "customer service" is to make you beg and then say NO!
    Overall we have gotten excellent service from Chase. This is the first time we have run into this. I personally think this was as much a location problem as anything, Palm Beach, FL. The branch we stopped at is used to dealing with 7+ figure accounts, ours isn't that big.

We ran into an address problem when dealing with Wells Fargo in a small town in Utah, but rather than refusing they found a work around.
    Dallas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chase is no where the leader in banking--offering low interest rates. Reputation is not the greatest in customer service.

Check with Ally Bank, the leader in online banking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ran into the same problem when we went full time in RV- no house- no physical address
    Bank of America refused our address change to mailbox at UPS store-
    I cancelled that card and now use daughter's physical address in CA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just changed our domicile address to South Dakota, using Americas Mailbox. We researched banks, not wanting to go with Wells Fargo, we chose Pioneer Bank. When doing our registration transfer with Dawn, we ask about banks. She stated they use Pioneer Bank for the business, but she uses Black Federal Hills Credit Union, and many full-timers do because the will do loans. We did set up our banking with BHFCU, Amalia Paris was the associate that helped us, couldn't ask for more friendly or better service. Also the credit union has sister member that permit you to do your banking in most places as well as online.
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use Americas Mailbox in South Dakota. Your address shows your name on the first line, the street address and a number on the second line. At the time that we signed up with America's Mailbox they told us that we could use PMB #XXXX or Apt. #XXXX. Having read where others have had issues using their domain address for financial reasons, etc. I decided to use "Apt. #XXXX" in our address. It has not been an issue yet. We kept our banking with the credit union in Calif. that I've been with for the past 37 years. They did not say anything when I gave them a change of address and I just refinanced our 376TH with them, to get the interest rate down. Our address was not an issue. Of course, I don't mention to them that it's a PMB (personal mailbox)......I wasn't asked that.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Of course, I don't mention to them that it's a PMB (personal mailbox)......I wasn't asked that.
    That has been out tact also, however, google maps and many other programs make it easy to look up addresses and as soon as they see commercial property they balk. The actual bank law says that a relatives address is acceptable, however when we attempted to use my wife's brothers address our last name is different so the bank refused to use. There prerogative, my prerogative is to not use them for my banking business.

As far as using credit unions goes the banking laws regulating them are different than laws regulating banks. I am not educated enough to know the particulars, just that there is a difference. I tend to not put all my eggs in one basket.
    Dallas