Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone adjust "warmth" of LEDs?

We love the proliferation of LEDs in our Reflection, especially when we're boondocking, which is most of the time. Still, the built in LEDs are pretty harsh and cold. We have 4 table lamps with warm white LED bulbs that we deploy, which gives a much cozier feel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodys Birthday_20160827_-00265.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	10505

Still, if I could alter the tone of the built-in LEDs, to warm them up a bit, and add a dimmer switch, we could achieve the same warm light without the inverter. Has anybody attempted this? I'm wondering if the light covers could be tinted, which would be cheaper than replacing all those bulbs.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treeofliberty View Post
    We love the proliferation of LEDs in our Reflection, especially when we're boondocking, which is most of the time. Still, the built in LEDs are pretty harsh and cold. We have 4 table lamps with warm white LED bulbs that we deploy, which gives a much cozier feel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodys Birthday_20160827_-00265.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	10505

Still, if I could alter the tone of the built-in LEDs, to warm them up a bit, and add a dimmer switch, we could achieve the same warm light without the inverter. Has anybody attempted this? I'm wondering if the light covers could be tinted, which would be cheaper than replacing all those bulbs.
    There is a lot of info as to dimmer selections and installation available in the forum. The dimmers help a lot in reducing the harshness. As to replacing the bulbs to make it more like incandescent lighting I have not approached that aspect.
    I found most of my dimmers available on Amazon/ EBay.
    YouTube also has provided directions for installations.
    Dimmers are not cheap, but the benefits are worth it in my opinion. My next dimmer will be for the awning light. Check it out on the forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danhiltman View Post
    There is a lot of info as to dimmer selections and installation available in the forum. The dimmers help a lot in reducing the harshness. As to replacing the bulbs to make it more like incandescent lighting I have not approached that aspect.
    I found most of my dimmers available on Amazon/ EBay.
    YouTube also has provided directions for installations.
    Dimmers are not cheap, but the benefits are worth it in my opinion. My next dimmer will be for the awning light. Check it out on the forum.
    I'm down with the dimmers and will likely follow the recent post in this section. But dim cold light is still not pleasing, so I would want to solve the color problem first.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some dimmable interior LED lighting is high on my list, too, but we're hoping that third time will be the charm with Dometic refrigerator cooling units and we'll get our fiver out of RV shop prison someday soon. Needless to say, I'm way behind on my mod play list and can't give you any specifics, but my prior fiver didn't have a single LED anywhere so I did get some experience replacing incandescents with LED's. In every case I remember, both "bulbs" and LED strips, there were a variety of temperature options. Have you shopped around on Amazon and ebay for color temperatures you want? I like the simplicity of the inline dimmer/controllers as long as I have some place to hide them. The little RF remotes are often easier to deal with than installing switches.

My idea - I haven't tried it, yet - for dim lighting in the living area is to run a strip of colored LED's around the slideout surround. I think there's enough room that it won't interfere with the seal and it would provide an infinite color range and brightness. Even the option of flashing them if I'm in the mood for a little disco.

I love the photo - the light doesn't seem to be keeping your friends awake.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    I love the photo - the light doesn't seem to be keeping your friends awake.
    When we camp, they play hard and crash hard when we finally go inside. At least they are kind enough to leave the recliners for us humans. They are the main reason we're not still in the travel trailer. We just needed more space to move around. It's a great life.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an inline dimmer with remote on the "house" lights and am very happy with it. When dimmed down 50% or so it seems to mellow out the coolness of the light. Bonus - the dimmer has a variable flash function for those disco moments or if you feel like giving yourself a seizure!

On the single fixture above the recliners I used a little white phase tape on the inside of the lens. Dimmed and yellowed the light. Now I can use it without getting a headache.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case, when it is dark enough to require lights, it is darned near time to head to bed so they are not really a problem.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still working on a quick solution for the oval LEDs above the recliners and the countertop but for the round LEDs above the dinning table and sofa I unscrewed the covers (you may want to use a rubber type jar lid helper) and placed aluminum foil inside the covers, see photo. The result was an amazing soft light for when we're just sitting around or watching TV and we still have the daylighters when cooking or looking for something.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_130120.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	10557 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_130140.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	10558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_130212.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	10559
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos of the actual lighting produced from the foil inserts.
    Attachment 10560 Attachment 10561
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are ways to disperse the light to make it seem less stark such as those above. But if you really want to change the color temperature to a more yellow light, my understanding is that the only way to do that is to change the bulbs--that the color is an intrinsic characteristic of the LED.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast