Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric Water Heater - how well does it heat?

Hello all, a question from an RV newbie: we are about 1 month in with our 2018 Solitude 310GK, and I've noticed that the electric water heater doesn't really do anything. I know that it will not heat as well as the gas, but when we turn the gas off, the electric really doesn't heat at all. Is it meant to just keep it from freezing, or should it build some actual hot water over time? As it is right now, the electric does not generate anything hot.

Me and the wife thank any/all insight into this, hoping it is not broken already! We absolutely love the 310GK, so nice.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! On both GD units I've owned, the electric water heater will heat it just as hot as gas. It just takes a little longer. Some models have two switches. One is on the control panel, and there is another switch that is hard to see on the water heater itself. Open the water heater panel on the outside of the rig, and look to see if you have a switch. If so, turn it on and leave it on. Then you can control the water heater from your main control panel when you want to use electric heating.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, thank you! I showed your post to my wife, and that jostled her memory. Obviously, we should have taken better notes during the walk around, and I should have just cracked open the owners manual. But hey, you just proved to me the true value that is this forum! Thanks again, and so quickly!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I could help. Enjoy that new trailer, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. And BTW, you can heat up the water much faster if you use both the gas and electric at the same time.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-19-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to how well the electric heats:

We have a 12 gallon water heater. My wife and I take back to back showers every morning. We have only run out of hot water once when I took a longer shower. Not bad for over a year of full timing. You can also run gas and electric together to get a faster recovery time if needed.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with our 6 gal water heater we can take back to back showers when running gas and electric together.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We take back to back showers with just electric and our 6g water heater works fine. Granted, they aren't ten minute showers but we're very impressed with our electric water heater.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I'm glad I could help. Enjoy that new trailer, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. And BTW, you can heat up the water much faster if you use both the gas and electric at the same time.

Jim
    I turn them both on when we first arrive and set up at the next RV park. But I always forget that they're both on until I get ready to turn on some lights when it gets dark. To the OP, the electric heat gets it as hot as the propane.....just not as fast.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back-to-back showers? Even with the size of the shower in the 337, we find it a bit crowded if we both try to get in at the same time...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You saved me...

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Welcome to the forum! On both GD units I've owned, the electric water heater will heat it just as hot as gas. It just takes a little longer. Some models have two switches. One is on the control panel, and there is another switch that is hard to see on the water heater itself. Open the water heater panel on the outside of the rig, and look to see if you have a switch. If so, turn it on and leave it on. Then you can control the water heater from your main control panel when you want to use electric heating.

Jim
    Thanks so much Jim you saved me a trip to the dealership, i thought the on and off switch was on the panel but your right if you open the water heater door and look around you can find the switch i believe the one on the control panel shuts it off also but want to make sure the main switch is on first or done camping turn it off....thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast