Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

328M Noisy Slide

Hi,
    We have a 2018 328M. We have been experiencing a popping/binding noise when the main slide is extended or retracted. Usually does it during the first few seconds when it starts moving and the last few seconds before it stops. This happens going out and coming in. You can actually see the ram bouncing as it does it. I have had it to the dealer and they have basically said it is what it is and they have adjusted it all they can. This is the first camper we have owned with slides so we dont know what to really expect during operation. I would expect it to not be popping. Squeek a bit maybe but this popping noise is down right embarrassing. The slide holds the four seat couch/recliner so I wouldnt expect it to be super heavy.

Anyway, my next step is to contact Grand Design directly but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has any suggestions. I have a video of it but I dont know how to post it.

Thanks!

Floyd

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloTam View Post
    Hi,
    We have a 2018 328M. We have been experiencing a popping/binding noise when the main slide is extended or retracted. Usually does it during the first few seconds when it starts moving and the last few seconds before it stops. This happens going out and coming in. You can actually see the ram bouncing as it does it. I have had it to the dealer and they have basically said it is what it is and they have adjusted it all they can. This is the first camper we have owned with slides so we dont know what to really expect during operation. I would expect it to not be popping. Squeek a bit maybe but this popping noise is down right embarrassing. The slide holds the four seat couch/recliner so I wouldnt expect it to be super heavy.

Anyway, my next step is to contact Grand Design directly but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has any suggestions. I have a video of it but I dont know how to post it.

Thanks!

Floyd
    You can't post a video unless you become a Site Sponsor.

Do your slides have flexible rubber-type seals on them? Those can pop when reversing direction.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    You can't post a video unless you become a Site Sponsor.

Do your slides have flexible rubber-type seals on them? Those can pop when reversing direction.
    Thanks for that info. I do have rubber seals but unfortunately that is not my problem. I will work on getting the video up so you can hear it.

Thanks!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I am unable to upload the video. It's not the seals, they do squeak, but I have not lubricated them yet. When this "popping" occurs, you can watch the hydraulic ram bounce as if something is binding momentarily.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can not directly load a video on the forum. But you can load it to YouTube or other similar website and then link it here.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    You can not directly load a video on the forum. But you can load it to YouTube or other similar website and then link it here.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. Here is a link to the video. There is nothing to see really, just the noise. Not so concerned with the sqweeking so much as with the popping/binding sound at the end of it coming out and starting to go in. Thanks for any input you may have.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=xeil7TLRPqk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new 2018 349M makes that popping noise on the fridge slide. I'm gonna use the crap out if it this first year and hopefully it breaks under warranty.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Ricon View Post
    Our new 2018 349M makes that popping noise on the fridge slide. I'm gonna use the crap out if it this first year and hopefully it breaks under warranty.
    Guess I just expect too much for $60k.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The noise I heard on the video doesn’t sound normal.

Would suggest posting on the tech forum as Grand Design monitors, or call customer service.

If all the dealer did was try to adjust they most likely didn’t look for the root cause, like binding in the mechanism which would require dropping the coroplast belly.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine does the same and when you take a little pressure off the slide [lift it] you cab hear some relief, worried it will cease up as well