Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fancy Gap & I-81 through Scranton

Hi all. Will be taking our 5th Wheel from South Carolina to Vermont/NH next spring. I've driven it many times w/o my trailer and know I-77 & I-81 well. I also know the climb up & down Fancy Gap on I-77 and again up I-81 over Hazelton. It now concerns me taking my 5th wheel over those climbs.

I have a 2017 Reflections 29RS being pulled by a 2017 Ford F150 w/350 EcoBoost 10 spd. transmission. The truck is outfitted with the max towing package and air shock. I know that I'm near the max as far as my truck, but, it hasn't been a problem towing it around SC, GA & FL. Will I have a problem on those grades or do I have to find a different route around those ??

Thanks.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Mountain Directory (East), 4 miles of 7% is the longest/steepest. 7% is a pretty good grade, though. Do you have prior experience with this rig on known grades to go by? I am always more concerned about going down than going up... and never go down any faster than you were able to go up. Get in the climbing/descent lane with the bug rigs and poke along with them. My experience with that type of thing won't translate to your situation, though, since we tow with a diesel.

On another note, we'll be down in your neck of the woods starting December 14. We'll start out at Pointes West Army Resort at the lake and then move in to Heritage in Augusta for a week of medical and dental appointments. Interested in getting together?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance Rob - How does the Mountain Directory describe I24 through Monteagle and I75 through Jellico compared to the I77 and I81 grades that Scooter is asking about? I don't have access to the Mountain Directory, but have driven these grades up and down with a rig very similar to Scooter's . . . without any difficulties. Both are reported to be extended 6% grades.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob. Thanks for the response. I agree ... it's always more concerning going down with over 10k pushing you. As for Pointes West .... we live on the northern part of Lake Thurmond (Clark's Hill if you're on the Georgia side. We take our boat down there and to the the dam a little further down. Looks like a great place to stay. Unfortunately we'll be on a cruise from Dec. 10th until after Christmas. Were you stationed at Ft.Gordon ? Maybe next trip down. Also, where can you access the Mountain Directory ??

Lou

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Second Chance Rob - How does the Mountain Directory describe I24 through Monteagle and I75 through Jellico compared to the I77 and I81 grades that Scooter is asking about? I don't have access to the Mountain Directory, but have driven these grades up and down with a rig very similar to Scooter's . . . without any difficulties. Both are reported to be extended 6% grades.

(another) Rob
    Monteagle: "Strong" 5% for 3.5 miles then "strong" 6% for 4 miles. Jellico: 4 miles of 5 - 6% grade.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Hi Rob. Thanks for the response. I agree ... it's always more concerning going down with over 10k pushing you. As for Pointes West .... we live on the northern part of Lake Thurmond (Clark's Hill if you're on the Georgia side. We take our boat down there and to the the dam a little further down. Looks like a great place to stay. Unfortunately we'll be on a cruise from Dec. 10th until after Christmas. Were you stationed at Ft.Gordon ? Maybe next trip down. Also, where can you access the Mountain Directory ??

Lou
    Yes - retired from FT Gordon and then worked at University Hospital for 21 years. Our health providers are all still in the area so we have to swing back through every six months.

http://www.mountaindirectory.com/ They are available for purchase in hard copy or various electronic formats and very reasonably priced.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob. Thanks for the info on the Mountain Directory. Never knew it existed ..... learn something every day. We traveled extensively in the 70's / 80's with a Holiday Rambler trailer. Just getting back into it now that we're retired. First 5th wheel and love it. Sorry we won't be here, but, enjoy your trip to Augusta.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. Will be taking our 5th Wheel from South Carolina to Vermont/NH next spring. I've driven it many times w/o my trailer and know I-77 & I-81 well. I also know the climb up & down Fancy Gap on I-77 and again up I-81 over Hazelton. It now concerns me taking my 5th wheel over those climbs.

I have a 2017 Reflections 29RS being pulled by a 2017 Ford F150 w/350 EcoBoost 10 spd. transmission. The truck is outfitted with the max towing package and air shock. I know that I'm near the max as far as my truck, but, it hasn't been a problem towing it around SC, GA & FL. Will I have a problem on those grades or do I have to find a different route around those ??

Thanks.
    Scooter,
    No doubt you know better than me..... But are F150’s rated to tow a 5th wheel? Don’t get me wrong, new trucks are beasts compared to years ago, and you may very well be within the vehicle limits. But When I looked for a tow vehicle I came away thinking Ford doesn’t rate the 150 for fivers. I didn’t see specs either for 5th wheel towing/loading.

Whatever. Be safe, take your time & you should be ok. You know those hills we’ll; I’ve been up & down them in bigger trucks & Motorhomes; it seems dicier going North up that long grade than the downgrade going North because of the distance.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob. Thanks for the info on the Mountain Directory. Never knew it existed ..... learn something every day. We traveled extensively in the 70's / 80's with a Holiday Rambler trailer. Just getting back into it now that we're retired. First 5th wheel and love it. Sorry we won't be here, but, enjoy your trip to Augusta.
    Glad to help. We'll be in the area through 9 January if you change your mind - just PM me.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Monteagle: "Strong" 5% for 3.5 miles then "strong" 6% for 4 miles. Jellico: 4 miles of 5 - 6% grade.

Rob
    Scooter - The Ecoboost engine easily handles these similar grades, going up or going down. Just climbed Jellico yesterday as a matter of fact, on our way to Florida. One of the few places that I find myself out in the left lane passing the transports because I can maintain 60 MPH and they can't . Going down, double tap the brake pedal and this tells the engine control system that you want engine braking . . . or just leave it on cruise control. The Ecoboost will handle most of the speed control although I do snub the brakes once in a while to keep speed in the 50 MPH range. Engine and transmission temperature gauges never move more than a needle width higher than normal. (This is hauling our 10,500 lb Reflection 303RLS)

traveldawg - Ford is the only manufacturer to rate its half tons for 5th wheel towing. Particularly those with the Heavy Payload Package, giving the 4x4 CC about 2500 lb payload capacity with stronger rear suspension and LT tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast