Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Really Want a 2800BH, But...

I really like and want a 2800BH, but I'm concerned (and a little frustrated) about weight:

My tow vehicle is a 2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee with the tow package, Tow Capacity is 7200. I'm a single full timer, quite a few hobbies worth of gear I want to carry (golf clubs, skis, mountain bike, and associated gear). I won't be towing often.

The brochure weight of the 2800BH is ~5800 lbs, which I think would be fine with my TV and gear, I'm comfortable with that, and I expected to be a little higher for the "actual UVW" on the sticker. But I went to look at a 2018, and the sticker was 6200! That's quite a variance from the brochure. I contacted someone selling a used 2016 and same thing, sticker was around 6200. Why is this? Only thing I can think of is both rigs had the theatre seats instead of the sofa, are the recliners a lot more then the sofa?

Surprised by that, I looked at a 2600 and the sticker UVW was almost spot on to the the brochure weight, why no variance there? So thinking that I maybe shouldn't do the 2800BH, (I want the bunks) I looked at the 2400BH and the brochure weight is almost identical? How is that with 4 less feet? I can't find an actual sticker UVW, but I assume it's going to be over the brochure close to 6200. Anyone have real life weights for a 2400BH?

So, is ~1k of payload in the trailer sufficient? I'm I crazy to think I can do a 2800BH? Seems to be the same issue with the 2400BH....confused and frustrated at what to do, because I had my mind set on the Imagine with a bunk.

Are there some weight savings to be had in them? (I could remove the lower bunk(what does this weight?), possibly the outdoor kitchen, what else could help?)

Appreciate the help and insights!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get so stuck on th 7200lb tow rating of your TV. There are other considerations to factor in. You should look at your tire loading sticker to see the payload capacity of the Cherokee. This will be the allowable weight of anyone and anything that can be put in the vehicle, hitch and hitch weight. A good estimate for hitch weight is 15% of actual trailer weight. You can estimate the hitch weight off of the empty weight which is usually the published figure or the trailers GVWR; that will give you a range on what to expect the hitch weight will be. Once you determine your vehicles capabilities you can pick a trailer that you can safely tow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2015 JGC with the Eco-Diesel. It was a great tow rig. The trailer I was towing was a 29' (total length) that weighed 7k loaded going down the road. The tongue weight was right at 750lbs. I was so impressed with the Eco-Diesel and the 8 speed tranny that I bought a 2016 ½ ton ram CCSB 4x4. The sad thing was the JGC did a better job towing the trailer than the Ram. The JGC towed the trailer like it was one unit. No bounce, no sway and had more power than it needed. The Ram pulled it ok but for some reason got a lot of rear end bounce, even after I installed air-bags. Every trailer I ever had I could take the posted UVW and add 1K lbs and I would be real close to actual towing weight. The JGC is a really good tow rig and will handle a trailer right up to its max tow rating but I would be real careful not to go over it. I think you would find its limitation real fast IMHO.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better check the "Hitch Weight Capacity" of the Jeep. When I bought my 2150 I was towing it with my Dodge Durango which had a 7200lb GVWR. Towed great. All weights appeared to be OK. Grand Design showed the hitch (Tongue) weight to be 423lbs. When I weighed the tongue it weighed 770lbs. This included 2 batteries, 2 full propane tanks and the WDH. No water in any of the tanks. Talked to Dodge factory to see what the hitch capacity was on the Durango. They told me it is 10% or 720lbs max whichever is less. I asked why no addition for the WDH as some vehicles show and was told because of the unibody construction that this is the maximum NO Flexibility. So I say again check the hitch weight capacity or you will be buying a different vehicle like I had to.
    2017 GD Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
    Equalizer 4 Point #90-00-1000 WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't look at the uvw. The trailer will never weigh anything close to that in the real world. Add propane, battery and all the stuff you can load in that huge pass thru and you will be way over the 6200 lb dry weight. And that's not counting what you load inside the camper....and you can load a bunch in a 2800bh.
    Look at the max weight of a 2800. It's 7400lbs. Over your vehicle's tow capacity.
    An Imagine is a really light trailer for it's size. So that's not the problem. It's your TV. For a load that big and heavy, you probably will need a truck.
    Also, look at the cargo capacity of your Jeep, or any TV you would consider. Loaded tongue weight of a 2800 will be 750...800 lbs. Make sure you have the capacity to handle the tongue weight plus anything you load in the Jeep, including fuel, passengers dog, etc.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what's kind of strange, the TV hitch weight is 720lbs, and they have a statement about tongue weight should be around 10%. So at 7200, they limit 720lbs. Which means you could never tow to max cap, and have more then 10% on the hitch (most seem to recommend 13%, right?)

I'm not able to buy a new vehicle, so that's out of the question. I'm also by myself, no family, dogs, etc. That's what I'm trying to figure out, is 1k lbs of payload enough for me? If it is, then I could tow it, but I would be right up against my max. I'm fine with that because I have airbags in the jeep, plus it's diesel with plenty of power. I won't be driving it much/often, and I could travel with it empty as I would just be relocating it.

Any ideas how I can figure out if I would have 1k lbs of payload?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be just fine with 1000 lb of gear as a single. Remember, water counts as weight also. Travel with empty tanks.

Problem will be the tongue weight. If your max hitch weight is 720 lbs, you WILL be over. Airbags will not increase your cargo capacity or your allowed hitch weight. They can level your vehicles and firm up your rear suspension to help with bounce.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jking46 View Post
    You should be just fine with 1000 lb of gear as a single. Remember, water counts as weight also. Travel with empty tanks.

Problem will be the tongue weight. If your max hitch weight is 720 lbs, you WILL be over. Airbags will not increase your cargo capacity or your allowed hitch weight. They can level your vehicles and firm up your rear suspension to help with bounce.
    Can I not help the tongue weight based on loading? If I put more on the rear bunk, and monitor the weight of the tongue, could I not keep it at 10% right at 720?

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwcalbug View Post
    Can I not help the tongue weight based on loading? ...
    Maybe. Unfortunately, 100 lbs added in the rear won't remove 100 lbs from the tongue. Most of that added weight will be carried by the axles. And if you add enough weight to make a difference, you might be getting into a "tail wagging the dog" situation.

There's really no way to tell until you try it.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory you could do that. You would be balancing on a fine line and the only way to know would be to weigh the tongue.
    Be aware that some trailers need to have more than 10% to travel well. That's why they normally say a range of 10 to 15. Too light in the front can mean squirrely in the back.

I'm not telling you not to do it. I just want you to be safe. You have a short wheelbase vehicle with a limited hitch weight. I prefer a cushion for safety. You will not have one.
    But if you end up getting a 2800, you will love it. We've had ours since September and been out 10 days. It's winterizedefinitely now. Waiting impatiently for March