User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2018 375RES Entry door won't close

New 375RES Delivered to dealer on 11/18/17 from factory
    on Sunday 19th we made a list of things needing attention before delivery Wednesday the 22nd
    the entry door was one thing on are list of things needing attention
    i have to slam the door and force it to closed and when opening the door screen door catches on the latch side of door frame when you open it
    when inside you can't even close the door
    (the coach was level and in there shop on concrete.)
    the tech told us it was normal then the manager tried the door. He then told me this was NOT normal.

You would think this would be a simple adjustment right well NO after banging and pulling on door and frame. now the dealer is telling me we need a new door on a 2018 Solitude build date of 10/17.
    did this leave the factory this way?
    I know theres a problem with entrance door and you should not force to close and pop back open when you slam it, you have to push it closed with a lot of force,
    from inside you can see the door frame bend when pushing it closed.

Some have said it could be the transportation company bending the door or the solid steps, the dealer thought of that and moved the steps for more clearance.

I love the Grand Design brand but really this makes me sad when my 2016 Reflection337RLS I traded in for the 375RES you could close the door with one finger.

With all of the attention we got when we camp from are Grand Design Reflection this is one thing that I don't want a Forest River owner to experience when checking out this beautiful Solitude
    so the short of it is the dealer now is ordering a new door and we wait for this to be fixed.

Trying not to complain I know Grand Design will make this one of many perfect Solitude's on the road.

( Posted in Solitude section first, but would like to see I get some factory input )
    Mark and Wendy
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW 6.7 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 375RES Fifth Wheel
    2016 Reflections 337RLS Fifth Wheel(trade in)
    Reese Elite Series 18k Slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My door sticks as well but yours sounds worse. I periodically squirt some graphite into the door and it works well for awhile then I need to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One problem that I noticed with ours, is that when the sun hits it, it apparently expands enough to make it tight. When cool, it contracts. This happened on our old Keystone Hideout also (same parking spot, morning sun). Two things that I did was take a hammer, yes, to the striker plate, gently, and "flatten" it out a little. I also use a very small amount of light grease on the striker area at the contact point. Those two items appeared to solve my problem, so it was fairly a minor problem. I have seen where the top left corner of the door assembly has rubbed off the paint on the door frame and would barely close it was so bad. Somewhere, someplace, I read that the dealers, or body shop methods used to straighten doors is use a variety of wood blocks and "tweak" it by pushing and pulling manually. The hinges need to be bent by force as there is no adjustment I believe. And of course, some just come from the factory screwed up, crooked, and get by factory pdi unfortunately.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue with mine. Turned out to be the screen door latch ( the piece on the outside door that holds the screen door to it) just needed adjusting. It was too low and allowed the screen door to grab on the way out and not allowing the door to seat without slamming on the way in. Loosened the two screws and moved it up a little at a time until no more dragging. Works great now.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are having the same issue with our GD Reflection 150 Series 295RL. Ours also has a build date of 10/17 makes me wonder if something was going on. We are taking it to the dealer next week to have them take a look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2017 369RL Solitude that after around a half year of full timing the door threw a hissy fit one evening when I stepped out to tend to the BBQ grill. We contacted GD and they authorized a new door to be sent to our dealer in Missoula, MT to be swapped out in the Fall of 2016 when we were due to have some other warranty work addressed before winter arrived. Ours was an alignment issue with the door in the frame. The top of the screen and door would hit the curved drip gutter at the corner of the door preventing it from closing normally. Couple times the door was the door was jammed so bad that we had to throw a shoulder into to get out of the RV. Or to close from the outside stand on the stairs and give the upper corner a good Punch to force it past the rub point. Eventually all the paint was worn off the trim piece gutter above the door in the corner.

Dealer was able to adjust the door and screen assembly and sent the trim piece off to their paint shop for a quick re-spray. So no new door was required to refit the door in it's frame.
    George and Sally

2006 Ford F-550 4x4
    2017 F-450 King Ranch Dually 4X4
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL, Load Range G tires added
    Three 160 Watt Solar panels up top, W/D and Dishwasher
    2006 Lance 1191 side entry truck camper, 1 slide