Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite Internet

NOT referring to one way communication like entertainment services; e.g. Dish, Direct, etc.
    Anyone have experience with Gen 3, 4, or the new Jupiter Gen 5 Satellite service for true internet access? Would appreciate all; good, bad, and the ugly.

Any other real world experience/cost of other satellite internet providers?
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobi and Kevin, I had to laugh at someone named "Hughes" asking this question with Hughes being one of the biggies in early satellite internet! Life is funny sometimes. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, though.

Enjoy!
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years back I had Hughes net Internet service. Personally I do not believe it’s worth the money that you paid for it. Data limits, expensive rates, and installation cost are extremely high.

I live in a rual area that has no FIOS, DSL, or any form of cable service. However I am close enough to a cell tower that gives me LTE service on my cell phone. I now run a whole home Internet service through AT&T that I pay $60 a month that gives me 250 Gbps per month and my download speeds at a low of 25 Mbps with normal speeds between 40 to 50 Mbps. HughesNet can’t touch that. I have had this service now for two months and absolutely love it. I can do all the Internet I want and watch Netflix, whatever I want to stream, on my TV whenever I want to now. You would have to watch movies every day to burn out your data usage. You get a modem box that you take home to connect to the Internet just like your smart phone. All you have to do is plug it in and it will allow you to connect up to 10 devices.

ATT calls this service Whole Home Phone Internet (WHPI) and it is not in every state (yet) and they do not advertise it around here. You have to go into a ATT store and ask. If you have good cell service in you area you should check it out.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to say that you could take this modem with you when you travel and will work anywhere you have cell service. It’s about the size of a paperback book. This is a great device for RVers.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiaforever View Post
    Tobi and Kevin, I had to laugh at someone named "Hughes" asking this question with Hughes being one of the biggies in early satellite internet! Life is funny sometimes. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, though.

Enjoy!
    -Al
    Right? Where's my flippin' discount?!
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    A few years back I had Hughes net Internet service. Personally I do not believe it’s worth the money that you paid for it. Data limits, expensive rates, and installation cost are extremely high.

I live in a rual area that has no FIOS, DSL, or any form of cable service. However I am close enough to a cell tower that gives me LTE service on my cell phone. I now run a whole home Internet service through AT&T that I pay $60 a month that gives me 250 Gbps per month and my download speeds at a low of 25 Mbps with normal speeds between 40 to 50 Mbps. HughesNet can’t touch that. I have had this service now for two months and absolutely love it. I can do all the Internet I want and watch Netflix, whatever I want to stream, on my TV whenever I want to now. You would have to watch movies every day to burn out your data usage. You get a modem box that you take home to connect to the Internet just like your smart phone. All you have to do is plug it in and it will allow you to connect up to 10 devices.

ATT calls this service Whole Home Phone Internet (WHPI) and it is not in every state (yet) and they do not advertise it around here. You have to go into a ATT store and ask. If you have good cell service in you area you should check it out.
    That's the rub, we have AT&T now and can stream netflix with only 2 bars without buffering or interruption, however; for example, in northern and eastern AZ we had absolutely no cell connection and we're planning on long range trips to remote areas and we require access for work. Currently looking at $2K hardware and setup and $120/month for 50 GB. Granted that's not much data but only needed for work, everything else we can wait for cell or WiFi.
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get mobile internet service through Dish or DirecTV? If I had a reliable satellite ISP when I'm traveling/boondocking I could then get to all the entertainment that interests me via Roku.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AT&T and DirecTV are now one company. AT&T does offer internet service. However, you cannot get their internet sevice through the DirecTV satellite system. I believe this is what you are asking/thinking. That would be great for RVers, set up one satellite dish and have TV and internet all in one.

If you are traveling and/or are off the grid you get TV service with DirecTV or Dish. For internet service you would need a separate satellite system such as Hughes or Blue Sky.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a Hughes Gen 5 system through a Value Added Reseller (VAR) that allows you to move it around. If you purchase from Hughes itself, the only offer the Gen 5 service for stationary, fixed location installation. The VAR options are $10 more per month, but allow for mobility.

The “portable system” is manually aligned each time in 15-20 minutes and cost $1,000. Service is about $100 per month for 100 gigabytes at 25 mb/s download and 3 mb/s upload. After the 100 gigabytes, you get about 3 mb/s download and 3 mb/second upload.

I constructed the .98 meter dish last night and will be setting up service next week. My first trip this year will be to Arches National Park for a week in April. I’ll report back on how the alignment process goes and service quality of the satellite internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hughes Gen 5 works great. Takes about 30 minutes to align each time, but works great and stays aligned all week. I’ve loved it for working in remote locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast