Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=masterdrago;139591]
    Quote Originally Posted by d.grillet View Post
    That’s awesome! We bought the 337-picking up next week.

Hey d.grillet, I (we) all knew you could make that deal if you just kept after them! Sweet!
    You all were a big help! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, We're looking at some used 27rl at dealers. Would you expect about the same percentages for used at a dealer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re looking at Momentum 351M Toy Hauler. Dealership sticker ranges from $92-$100+ What’s a realistic price to start at? Don’t want to be laughed off the lot oferfing too little.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steinbeck View Post
    We’re looking at Momentum 351M Toy Hauler. Dealership sticker ranges from $92-$100+ What’s a realistic price to start at? Don’t want to be laughed off the lot oferfing too little.
    As many have stated already in this thread and others. Discounts have varied from 25-25% off it seems. There are far too many options, etc to generally answer your question other then to say go to GD's website build your unit under shopping tools and get a true MSRP (less freight charges) for exactly what you are looking for and then take 30% off. + or - 5% of that figure seems to be fair...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithE View Post
    Hi, We're looking at some used 27rl at dealers. Would you expect about the same percentages for used at a dealer?
    When shopping for used, make sure you check the new unit MSRP and the discount from there 25% to get an idea of what a new one costs.

Now keep in mind a used one will be significantly cheaper. Well they should be. You'll notice that isn't always the case because many people don't know to get the big discounts and dealers price units high. So you'll notice that a good portion of used units are right up there with the new ones.

We have a dealer here near us selling a 2017 Momentum for the same price I'd order a brand new one. Why on earth would I take that unit? Now some other person that may not know that they can shop around and get 30% off might see it and say "Wow, look at that great deal!"

If you want good pricing, you need to be ready to shop around. If you're married to your local guy, nothing wrong with that, just realize he might not be inclined to give you a great deal right off the bat. Shop around and you can do much better. Who knows, maybe the local guy will match, or get close, maybe not but you need to be willing to move on and get in from somewhere else.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bite, I'm a bit new to the 5'r world but 30% off MSRP as configured from GDs website seems about right, but that's before or after shipping, doc fee, taxes etc. What are the normal shipping charges and doc fees? I've seen one dealer state his shipping charges on a 303rls were $4900 which I thought were outrageous. Typically, in the class A world, 25 to 27% off MSRP plus doc, taxes and title is it as the freight is built into the MSRP.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtrace View Post
    I'll bite, I'm a bit new to the 5'r world but 30% off MSRP as configured from GDs website seems about right, but that's before or after shipping, doc fee, taxes etc. What are the normal shipping charges and doc fees? I've seen one dealer state his shipping charges on a 303rls were $4900 which I thought were outrageous. Typically, in the class A world, 25 to 27% off MSRP plus doc, taxes and title is it as the freight is built into the MSRP.
    $4900 freight is outrageous unless you're buying in Alaska. You can take a look on the lot of other dealers and similar sized units to get an idea of what freight runs. Realize that it is easy for them to pad prices and freight is the one item you really don't know 100% what it will be. You can get a good idea though.

I think 30% is doable under the right circumstance. Grabbing a hold over unit as an example, 30% or a bit more, RV show unit that got 50k pairs of feet through it in a week. I don't think that is an every day discount though and you need a volume dealer or special circumstance. I put that kind of discount in the "EXCEPTIONAL" category.

25% off total, including freight, is certainly doable at any dealer that isn't a low volume high margin place. If Pop's sells 20 campers a year, you probably aren't going to get that but any decent sized dealer with inventory will likely accept that. I consider this a "fair" price. Dealer makes money, you left a bit on the table but did well. Fair. Everyone wins.

The way I look at it, my minimum is 25% off everything but tax title and plates. Actual, real MSRP, not bull crap Dealer inflated list prices. Fortunately Grand Design has their build sheets and prices available to everyone, not all companies work like that.

I simply won't pay more for an RV. We've bought a few units in our time. Rockwood Ultra lite (31%), Newmar Dutchstar DP (25.5%), DRV (27%), and Grand Design Momentum (26%). Safe to say if you aren't married to your dealer, you can get that regardless of brand and in my opinion 25% off MSRP is a fair price to pay. You get more, the deal gets better and better for you from fair to excellent.

I always kick the local guy back a tiny bit more to do business local if I have to. Not the world, but a little bit. On our Newmar we gave 1%. Good bit of change on an expensive unit but Independence RV did us right and I'd buy from them again. The next lowest was also 1500 miles away and it wasn't worth it after figuring in all the costs. When it came to our DRV our closest dealer was the cheapest. On the Momentum we are getting ready to order, local guy matched the lowest. Could I shop for another point or two off the Momentum? Probably. I could find a volume dealer a thousand or two miles away and squeeze it out. Probably not worth it though when it is all said and done. Fair is fair.

I promise you that most people leave a hell of a lot more on the table than 3-5%.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll flat out say that you shouldn't have to pay freight, doc, title, or prep fees. It should just be the RV at xx percentage off. It is unfortunate that the RV industry is plagued by this and it's outright misleading.

Ethically, its known that these things are the cost of doing business. It shouldn't be a huge additional profit center for dealerships.

I deal with this every day and it's really sad to see what a lot of dealers do.

I can't imagine purchasing something so large and worrying about if this dealer inflated the MSRP, wondering I'm getting a good deal or how much they are going to charge me with back end fees.

Purchasing should be fun. These are the best times of your life.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleazenby View Post
    I'll flat out say that you shouldn't have to pay freight, doc, title, or prep fees. It should just be the RV at xx percentage off. It is unfortunate that the RV industry is plagued by this and it's outright misleading.

Ethically, its known that these things are the cost of doing business. It shouldn't be a huge additional profit center for dealerships.

I deal with this every day and it's really sad to see what a lot of dealers do.

I can't imagine purchasing something so large and worrying about if this dealer inflated the MSRP, wondering I'm getting a good deal or how much they are going to charge me with back end fees.

Purchasing should be fun. These are the best times of your life.
    Clint, maybe I am reading this wrong but I have to disagree, not in principle but in reality. Every vehicle purchased has a delivery fee clearly posted on the window sticker. It is set by the factory. You are in Indiana in a region where most rigs are made. The RV industry charges via haulers based on distance so for you to say there should be no charge for delivery only puts you at an advantage over a west cost dealer. Not a fair playing field. As far as delivery charges ask to see the factory sheet for delivery. GD clearly lists the freight charge to that location. In my opinion, rvs should be like cars, the manufacturer should be putting a fixed freight charge on every unit and make it part of the total price. Don’t hide the freight charges. They certainly can be rolled in but until the RV industry levels the delivery charge across the s is always gonna be an issue.

As far as doc and title fees, well that will not charge as long as the states regulate that charge that auto dealers may charge. I don’t disagree with you but if the state says you can charge $75, guess what, the dealer hides behind that..

Prep, tell the dealer to do their job per their dealer agreement with the RV manufacturer. End of discussion there.

Just my 2 cents.
    Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're comparing exact apples to apples you can throw % out the window. You'll need to get the Retail spec sheet detailing all of the options and standard equip. Even then, % does not take into consideration current inventory, expected inventory, what's hot...what's not. When a customer comes to me and starts with % I attempt to diplomatically steer them away from that error ridden conversation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast