Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hitch for shortbed

Looking to pair a hitch with the f350 shortbed crew cab ford oem hitch prep kit.

I would like something lightweight, easily removable. and maybe a autoslider if necessary. I dont think I would want a non auto sliding hitch. Is there anyone towing a 337 on a shortbed ford with factory hitch prep?

I was thinking a stationary hitch then the reese sidewinder. but recently found the b&W RVK3370 which seems like the best way but i dont think its autosliding.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the factory prep kit, but they are all going to be in about the same place. My B&W turnover gooseball is installed about an inch forward of the rear axle. I pull a 337 with an AUH and it adds just enough to the front axle that there is no change in handling. I'm 100 over the rear axle rating and very lightly loaded so I'm hunting a F350. SB's are difficult to find.

The AUH is certainly lightweight, easily removable and no slider is necessary. I've been on some rough roads and bucking and chucking is practically nothing - I couldn't ask for a better ride.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Light weight" and "auto-slider" are mutually exclusive terms. The new front caps are well-designed and we did fine from a clearance perspective with an Andersen Ultimate in a 6.5' GM bed. PullRite now has the UltraLight which is very similar to the Andersen, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a Sidewinder on my Solitude. I haven't had a change to tow it with the new pinbox yet but I did get it installed. This is kinda like closing the barn door after the horse got out. Last month, pulling out of a tight service station, I was watching so many other things I wasn't watching the trailer cab clearance close enough. I managed to put a pretty good crease in the driver side of the cab. It's going to cost $1300.00 to fix and $500.00 of that is up to me. That would have paid a good portion of the cost of the new pinbox.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    "Light weight" and "auto-slider" are mutually exclusive terms. The new front caps are well-designed and we did fine from a clearance perspective with an Andersen Ultimate in a 6.5' GM bed. PullRite now has the UltraLight which is very similar to the Andersen, too.

Rob
    yea but i thought that voids the lippert frame warranty?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    yea but i thought that voids the lippert frame warranty?
    No - a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty (except for the Reese GooseBox - but that's another story). The Andersen and PullRite hitches are not goosenecks and do not put the torsional forces on the pin box and the front of the RV frame that a gooseneck adapter does (they don't have the "lever").

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty (except for the Reese GooseBox - but that's another story). The Andersen and PullRite hitches are not goosenecks and do not put the torsional forces on the pin box and the front of the RV frame that a gooseneck adapter does (they don't have the "lever").

Rob
    o cool so how do you attach the AUH to the pin? do you have any pictures of your setup?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o cool so how do you attach the AUH to the pin? do you have any pictures of your setup?
    We are not using an AUH any more - traded trucks and couldn't get the adapter for the Ford puck system in time. The hitch system comes with an adapter that attaches to the king pin and couples with the ball on the top of the hitch. The hitches come in various forms including a steel model that sits in industry standard rails in the truck bed and an aluminum version that sit on/attaches to the gooseneck ball in the truck bed (if you have one). There are many folks on the forum towing with the Andersen - just use the search function at the top.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not using an AUH any more - traded trucks and couldn't get the adapter for the Ford puck system in time. The hitch system comes with an adapter that attaches to the king pin and couples with the ball on the top of the hitch. The hitches come in various forms including a steel model that sits in industry standard rails in the truck bed and an aluminum version that sit on/attaches to the gooseneck ball in the truck bed (if you have one). There are many folks on the forum towing with the Andersen - just use the search function at the top.

Rob

Yea just trying to see if maybe i should go with a regular hitch and then something like 5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret - 16,000 lbs
    Item # RP61452

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea just trying to see if maybe i should go with a regular hitch and then something like 5th Airborne Premium 5th Wheel Air Ride King Pin w/ Sidewinder and Turret - 16,000 lbs
    Item # RP61452
    The reason I chose the Sidewinder over an auto slider was that the Sidewinder didn't add any weight to the truck (an auto slider is a much heavier hitch) and I can still haul any 5th wheel that still has a conventional hitch. With an auto slider you can't. One thing I will add is that even with the newer design of the front caps you can still make contact with the trailer in a tight turn. One other thing I will add. Back in 2012 I had a standard bed Chevy and it had such a poor turning radius that it would not turn sharp enough, going forward, to allow contact. My 2016 Ram turns much sharper.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res