Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    One other thing I will add. Back in 2012 I had a standard bed Chevy and it had such a poor turning radius that it would not turn sharp enough, going forward, to allow contact. My Ram turns much sharper.
    This will be a "game changer" if the newest trucks can turn sharp enough going forward to make contact between the cap and the cab.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2015 GMC turns a lot sharper than our 2003 Ford did. The GMC will turn sharp enough to be a problem for a trailer if it was a short bed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you looked into the Anderson set up. But it is the bees knees.
    I have a ram with 6'4" bed. works like a charm with my 5th wheel.
    It is lite and I can carry it with one Hand. In have my full bed back in about 5 minutes.
    https://andersenhitches.com/uploads/...20(lo-res).pdf
    Last edited by Andrepdx; 01-19-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4, Short bed (6'4") all stock but 285/75/18
    2018 GD Reflection 150 series 290 BH
    Anderson ultimate 5th wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a B&W slider for the Ford 5th wheel prep package. It seems to be a well made unit, and so far has worked great. Even thought I can get about a 75 degree angle between the truck and camper, I slide the hitch back when the wife goes to check into a campground, and it stays that way until we leave. I also slide the hitch back when backing into my driveway. I have never encountered a sharp enough turn on the road to cause alarm. If I should see "space" between the rear of the truck and the opposite side of the camper in my mirrors during a sharp turn, then I know I need to back off a bit, as I am approaching that 75 degree angle.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting a sidewinder 19k king pin and then the comfort ride model 184. I haven't taken it on a shakedown yet but I will keep everyone posted as to how the combo pulls.
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Demco Highjacker is over 200 pounds to maneuver it without the head attached. The complete hitch as listed weighs over 240 pounds.
    All autoslides are going to be heavy. The nice thing about the Demco is that they sent me the lift attachment to pick it up with a engine hoist or overhead crane from the head.
    To minimize the weight in your truck go with the sidewinder.
    2014 GMC Denali 3500HD
    Demco Recon, gooseneck ball mounted
    Solitude 366DEN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    I have a B&W slider for the Ford 5th wheel prep package. It seems to be a well made unit, and so far has worked great. Even thought I can get about a 75 degree angle between the truck and camper, I slide the hitch back when the wife goes to check into a campground, and it stays that way until we leave. I also slide the hitch back when backing into my driveway. I have never encountered a sharp enough turn on the road to cause alarm. If I should see "space" between the rear of the truck and the opposite side of the camper in my mirrors during a sharp turn, then I know I need to back off a bit, as I am approaching that 75 degree angle.
    Hi, to make Sure I understand you. So if you see the driver side bed corner go past the passenger side of the camper?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burgpath View Post
    Hi, to make Sure I understand you. So if you see the driver side bed corner go past the passenger side of the camper?

Yes, that is my reference. Also if I keep from turning my steering wheel from full lock (maybe backed off about 1/4 turn) it will not happen when going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    Yes, that is my reference. Also if I keep from turning my steering wheel from full lock lock (maybe backed off about 1/4 turn) it will not happen when going forward.
    The owner of dealership we are buying from tells me I won't need a slider so we didn't order one. Now I'm left feeling a bit nervous with out one.

Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burgpath View Post
    The owner of dealership we are buying from tells me I won't need a slider so we didn't order one. Now I'm left feeling a bit nervous with out one.

You might be OK without a slider. I am not 1 to take chances, and decided on the slider as a safety measure. Other then backing into my driveway, I didn’t think I have encountered a situation where I actually needed the slider.....I have a sharp turn into my driveway plus I have to go across a swell where my truck and trailer are on different planes.

1 other advantage of the slider is if I might get into a situation where I have to back up to the trailer at an angle to hook up. At a straight on angle, my tailgate in the down position is about 1’ from the front of the trailer before latching. If I would need to come in from an angle then I would need to get the pin close to the hitch, then close the tailgate to keep from hitting the front of the camper, then complete the hitching process. Hooking up the umbilical cord would also probably be best done with the tailgate down if the Bargman plug is in the bed of the truck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast