Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is fireplace really a "heater"?

For those of you that have a fireplace, we're considering 1 of two floorplans. One has a fireplace (among other items) and I was wondering how much of heater it actually is? Initially I thought it was just decorative, but in a couple of threads, seems like it may actually be a heater (of sorts).

I figure it is like a space heater, just knocks the chill off of the area around it. Or used in conjunction with the furnace, on those really cold nights.

Not that it will be the deal breaker in our decision, but could be a plus.
    Between campers
    Shopping for a 150 Series 5th wheel
    Deciding on a tow vehicle

Columbia, TN

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orggardn View Post
    For those of you that have a fireplace, we're considering 1 of two floorplans. One has a fireplace (among other items) and I was wondering how much of heater it actually is? Initially I thought it was just decorative, but in a couple of threads, seems like it may actually be a heater (of sorts).

I figure it is like a space heater, just knocks the chill off of the area around it. Or used in conjunction with the furnace, on those really cold nights.

Not that it will be the deal breaker in our decision, but could be a plus.
    Yes, it's a heater. You can have just the visual fire "burning" with no heat, however. Or use the heat settings. It's just a supplement to the furnace (in the heat department). We turn it on in the mornings to augment the furnace heat to warm up the space. I think it's useful.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On those nights that aren't real cold, we'll set the thermostat on the electric fireplace for 68-70 degrees and it keeps the trailer nice without running the furnace. But if it gets real cold out, we need to run the furnace too.

Jim

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Momentum 376TH it is a 10,000 BTU heater. We have only used the fireplace and a portable plug in heater and it's down around freezing temps every night. We do not use the propane heater because we don't have to pay for the electric heat of the fireplace and small space heater.

The heat comes out of the top of the fireplace, so you feel it right away.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use just the fireplace all the time- keeps the living area very nice. When the temps dip below freezing for any period of time, though, you have to turn the fireplace (and any other electric heaters) down or off and make sure the main furnace cycles regularly. The main furnace is the only thing that heats the basement where the plumbing and utilities are.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the fireplace to be a very nice feature. It keeps our trailer acceptably warm until it gets to about 40* outside. Frequently where we camp the daytime temps can hit the 70's or more yet still get down to the 40's and 50's at night. It's really nice to use the fireplace at night and not have to have the noisy furnace kicking on and off all night. Used in conjunction with the furnace the trailer heats up fast. I even enjoy the fake flames at times. They put out an adjustable glow that serves as an effective nite lite and yes, I even stare into the "flames" sometimes. The one thing I wish it would do is supply heat without running the flames.

When I first saw these a few years ago I scoffed at them. Now I wouldn't want a trailer without one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    In the Momentum 376TH it is a 10,000 BTU heater. We have only used the fireplace and a portable plug in heater and it's down around freezing temps every night. We do not use the propane heater because we don't have to pay for the electric heat of the fireplace and small space heater.

The heat comes out of the top of the fireplace, so you feel it right away.
    Be careful with that. No heater = no heat to the belly and basement.

On edit: as Rob has previously stated.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Be careful with that. No heater = no heat to the belly and basement.

On edit: as Rob has previously stated.
    Yes, I just experienced that scare this past week.

I had read on several forums over the past few years where it got down below freezing in the high 20s for two or three hours and it wasn't an issue. I also know that Grand Design and the Momentums are insulated pretty well. But when I was down in Mexico and did a weather forecast for this area up here and learned that it was going to be in the low to mid 20s for 12-14 hrs. I was concerned (we left our Momentum here). Here's a link to the story...... https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post139680
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Freezing water lines usually does not result in failures. It's things like dump valves, pumps, filters, etc. that are made of metal or hard plastic that will fail from freezing. For the most part, I think these RVs are reasonably forgiving of short freezes. I wonder if simply shutting the water off and opening the faucets to relieve the water pressure would prevent minor freeze failures. Glad it all worked out for you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    The one thing I wish it would do is supply heat without running the flames.
    Kim, on ours the flames adjust from high to low. I’m not 100% sure, but I think you can also turn the flame off with the heater blowing on the fireplace.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast