Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want to dry camp near the Wyoming/Utah border at Flaming Gorge Reservoir, let me know and I'll send you GPS coordinates for boon-docking areas.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All\We went last year with our new Grand Design 303rs 5th wheel , did the Mount Rushmore to Las Vegas, to Meza Verde NM. We used Good Sam and KOA. We stayed at a KOA for Meza Verde that was great! I would suggest useing both KOA and Good Sam for campgrounds.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we joined passport America dot com. Cheap mom and pop RV parks for traveling. When we first started out we moved long and fast. Since then we have adopted the policy of driving 250 miles, stopping by 3pm, and every two days of driving stay for at least 2 nights.

We tend to favor state parks, national forest, BLM campgrounds. A little more out doors--ish. After we stop we like to take a long walk or some other form of light exercise.

The boom in the RV industry this last 3 years has made RV camp sites less available, particularly Friday/Saturday night when the weekend warriors go camping also.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    If you want to dry camp near the Wyoming/Utah border at Flaming Gorge Reservoir, let me know and I'll send you GPS coordinates for boon-docking areas.

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    I'd like to request the boon-docking GPS coordinates

Thanks,

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    we joined passport America dot com. Cheap mom and pop RV parks for traveling. When we first started out we moved long and fast. Since then we have adopted the policy of driving 250 miles, stopping by 3pm, and every two days of driving stay for at least 2 nights.

We tend to favor state parks, national forest, BLM campgrounds. A little more out doors--ish. After we stop we like to take a long walk or some other form of light exercise.

The boom in the RV industry this last 3 years has made RV camp sites less available, particularly Friday/Saturday night when the weekend warriors go camping also.
    My Passport America just expired. They offered some special deals.
    I purchased a lifetime membership for $299 with a t shirt, Yeti cooler cup and an additional 1 year membership. Hopefully we will have many years to use it.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another resource. It hasn't been great, but it has been helpful.

Boondockers Welcome dot com
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Oregon

Free Camping
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been in/through Canadian Rockies a few times..... Reservations required if planning to see Banff, Jasper and Calgary (if during the Stampede timeframe). Not so much needed in Vancouver (actually west of Vancouver) but needed if going toward Whitsler. No reservations through Kamloops but maybe for Revelstoke (depends on how picky you are about campgrounds).

You'll want reservations around all holidays (in US and Canada).

If planning to stays Glacier NP and staying on the east side - reservations required.

Many campgrounds between NM and up to Canada so not many reservations required (we call ahead a week or so once we figure out our timeline during our travels). But if planning to stay/see any US NP then reservations recommended. Utah is a mess in May around Memorial Day and again around Labor Day, if planning to be there in summer maybe no reservations needed as most people stay away (especially Moab) due to heat.

Reservations recommended in Rocky Mtn NP most all the time. Same goes if staying in Denver or Colorado Springs.

3 months is pushing it for a TN to NM to Canada to US Rockies. More like 3 to 5 months. We did 5 months last year because in 2015 3 months wasn't long enough. There is A LOT to see in the west and same for Canada.

Happy travels and planning. Try out mysecenicdrives.com for a great planning site (it's free too!!).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike and family,

I get the impression you will be traveling and maybe staying in the US Rockies. I'm guessing you will be passing through Colorado.

My wife and I live about 30 minutes from Rocky Mountain NP in Loveland, CO and have frequently hiked and camped in the park. If you are coming out this way, I suggest finding a site near Estes Park. There are several facilities that can accommodate 5'ers and also give you easy access to the park, not to mention, the town of Estes.

If traveling further West, I suggest staying away from "Trail Ridge Road" pulling your 5'er. Fairly high altitude and several hair pin turns that raise the pucker factor . it will take more time and you'll have to back track, but the drive will be much easier.

By all means, go to the visitor's center at the top of Trail Ridge Road with just your truck and take in the sights along the way. You will not be disappointed.

If you are interested in a smaller campground, check out Brainard Lake CG. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/...a/?recid=28182. I'm not sure if the sites will accommodate a 5'er, but it's a jewel of a place to stay a couple of days.

Happy and safe travels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12