User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after rv heated up using propane and another space heater.....tried fireplace again (about 55* in camper now), it worked.....does this have a feature that keeps it from working if it is too cold? It was around 22* when i tried it.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know I wondered that also. The first time mine went to "88" it was about 26* in the trailer. Next day when I tried it after resetting the breaker it again went to the "88" code and it was still cold inside the trailer. I then used the furnace and started heating up the trailer as I was gathering tools to work on it. I also had a 1500W portable heater running. When I started working on it I was right at 60* and I took it out and then with the back off it worked the first time and worked every time I turned it on and continued running. So I'm wondering if any body else with cold conditions are having this also?
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you guys are saying i think the front sensor is a thermal sensor that shuts the unit off if it gets too hot. Sometimes these type of sensors will not work when in conditions outside of their operating zone. Lets just say the operating zone for the sensor is from 32 to 130 degrees. They feedback a resistive value back to the control unit. Lower temp =higher resistance value. So maybe that is what you are seeing. Without a schematic this is just a guess.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim.

I went out yesterday evening and it was 23* out. I tried the fireplace and it ran for about 30 seconds and then went to flashing 88. So I suspect you might be onto something. I'm wondering if it is only something with the 40" fireplaces or all of them. I think if all of them were doing this there would be a lot more complaining about this problem.

avidcamper,

You might be right and it is not meant to operate at these low temperatures.
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same problem with my fireplace. I contacted my selling dealer yesterday and they ordered me a new one. I'm getting the 88 error message when operating the unit with the temperature above 60* in the trailer.
    2017 F-350 King Ranch CCSB 6.7L 4X4 SRW
    2018 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you guys sure the air intake for the heater is not being obstructed? Our FP was shutting down when on heat after 10-20 minutes from a cold start. After that, it would shut down in less than 5 minutes from a warm start. It would never shut off if we were running in "flame only" mode.

After investigating, I discovered the 1-¼" wide edge of a framing member sits directly above the cold air intake vent on the top of the FP. There is only a small (approximately ¼") gap between the FP air intake and the framing member where air can be drawn in. For some reason, the framing edge is protected by a sheet metal heat shield (remember, it's a cold air intake). Directly behind that framing was a bundle of wiring that lays on the top of the FP. It sure appeared it could be blocking airflow into the small air gap between the intake of the fireplace and the shielded framing member above it.

I moved the wiring up as much as I could using a wire tie with screw mount.

Hopefully pics will help...

Here is the FP, removed from the hearth, with its cover off to reveal the innards as viewed from backside of the unit. Notice at the top is the intake squirrel cage fan that draws the air in and directs it over the heating element and out through the front exhaust vents. At the bottom are the bulbs and the rotating foil that creates the flame effect against the translucent orange screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7323.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	10903

Next up is the view of the hearth opening looking up from the floor. From bottom to top is the hearth opening, the bottom of the fake stone, the facia panel, an air gap, the metal wrapped framing member, and the wiring bundle and black wire tie that I added.

Name:	IMG_7325.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	10904

Here is the top view of the FP measuring from the front edge that lines up with the facia. Note that the air intake vent runs from about the 2-¾" mark to the 4-½" mark.

Name:	IMG_7331.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	10905

And here is the view of the hearth opening looking up from the floor again. As you can see, the shielded framing member is directly above the air intake vent at approximately 3" to 4-¼".

Name:	IMG_7328.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	10906
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no obstructions at all. looks like your blower is larger then our 40" units.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got our 349 last week and the fireplace is having problems already. The flames work fine, but it usually will not heat. If I just select HH for the heat level, it'll run for a few minutes and then turn off. If i change the temp, it doesn't heat. It isn't giving any error codes yet. I may call the dealer and see if they will order one. I hate to drop it off just for it to sit for god knows how long it'll take to get a new one.
    2018 Momentum 349M
    2017 F-350 CCSB, 6.7, FX4, Lariat

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slapshot12---I purchased a new 2018 303RLS three month ago. The fireplace would only stay on for 3-5 min then default off. Had the dealer (they are aware of the problems with the Furrion units) order a new one. It would flash red light in window showing something was too close to unit. When the second one arrived the buttons on the front would not work. The remote worked fine but I didn't like the fact the buttons failed. I have a third one on order. It is very easy to remove. I recommend they have unit in then you remove yours and trade for the new one. For some reason they needed the broken one before they would give me the new one. O_Well. Hoping this new one will work as designed. They do a great job on saving propane as furnace does not need to come on so often. You can also call Grand Design and they will tell you if the order has been received and let you know when they ship to dealer. I have found GD very helpful in their customer service. Good Luck.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Saving propane is the only reason I want it running...well, that and it's brand new!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast