Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning LED Lighting

My awning fuse behind the main panel has a 2 amp fuse that continues to burn. I have a Solitude 384 GK-R still under warranty but cant figure this one out. I changed it out with a 5 amp fuse to see if the 2 amp was to small and it burn the 5 amp also. What gives?

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you give our customer care line 574-825-9679 a call to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are continuing to blow the fuse the odds are you have a short (bare wire grounding itself). I would suggest that you check all the wiring from the switch and/or control panel to your awning connections. A loose wire or a bare wire touching something can drive you crazy until you fine it.

You should stay with a 2 amp fuse. Increasing it to 5 amp defeats the whole purpose of having a fuse in the first place. If it is blowing the 5 amp fuse right away I would bet on a wire grounding itself somewhere. Someone else may chime in with any other possibilities.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is in the shop right now for the same thing. Light worked at delivery with the awning closed. Brought it home, opened the awning, light wouldn't work. Replaced fuse, blew fuse right away. Swapped out fuse, same result. Brought it back to the dealer for the blown fuse and a leaking slide (I had one of the first 2670MKs with the Furrion stove and there was not enough clearance between the stove and the island to allow the slide to close properly). Picked it back up from the dealer. They said the wiring for the light was getting pinched by the awning mechanism so they re-routed it. Light worked fine at the dealer. Brought it home. Light worked for maybe 2 minutes until I put out the slide and the fuse blew again. I was out of 2A fuses so swapped in a 3A fuse. Blew right away. There is a short either in the wiring harness (likely a staple) or in the blue-light connections in the outside speakers. Back to the dealer for this and a fireplace problem. If it wasn't under warranty I could probably live with a bad awning light if there was another light over the door.
    Lee and Sandi
    2018 GD Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve 4x4 Gas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twholt4 View Post
    I suggest you give our customer care line 574-825-9679 a call to help you troubleshoot the issue.
    My awning lights also cause the 15A awning fuse on my elec panel to blow on an intermittent basis. I asked for troubleshooting help (specifically some electrical schematics) from GD customer care a few months ago and basically got no help. Was told that such schematics or wiring diagrams were not available and to just try and trace the wires. Was a pretty incredible response.

I think I have problem narrowed down (by selectively lifting wires in the switch panel) to the slidout awning light and I have left that lighting disconnected as my work around. I have examined the accessible locations where the lighting wiring exits the slide wall at the top of the awning arm and underneath the slide where the wiring harness comes from behind the coroplast and then disappears up into the slide wall. Have found not obvious/visible problems. To try and trace the wiring any further is going to involve significant effort and likely not worth it. I guess I am just stuck with no lighting under that awning. The lack of good wiring diagrams for these trailers is very frustrating. Often wonder how they get built if that info is not available.
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Dad47 View Post
    The lack of good wiring diagrams for these trailers is very frustrating. Often wonder how they get built if that info is not available.
    I was just thinking the same the other day. It would be AWESOME to have diagrams of the frame, walls, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc for those of us who would prefer to find/fix issues ourselves. I do see the liability side of it with people tinkering during the warranty window though and trying to push their mistakes on to GD.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I posted this last week, but the picture is relevant to this thread also. Pull your main switch panel and take a look at the connections on the back. In the example I'm posting, you can see three areas with stray wire strands sticking out of the connectors. If one of those were to make contact with an adjoining terminal, it may be causing your short circuit and blown fuses. It could even explain why it could be intermittent from time to time. That wire strand can move with vibration of the rig while going down the road.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    My short is definitely in the wiring downstream of the switch. I did check everything on the back of the switch panel and did not find anything like you describe; but, I did find three connections with wires loose in the crimped terminal fitting. I cut the terminal fitting off each of those and reterminated those connections.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    I was just thinking the same the other day. It would be AWESOME to have diagrams of the frame, walls, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc for those of us who would prefer to find/fix issues ourselves. I do see the liability side of it with people tinkering during the warranty window though and trying to push their mistakes on to GD.
    I had a Winnebago Class A motorhome that I bought new in 2007. At that time, Winnebago had all system diagrams, schematics, and parts lists available for download on their website. After I printed them I had two full notebooks. Was a great resource to have during the 7 years I owned that motorhome. Was hoping that kind of technical support might flow down thru GD after the acquisition by Winnebago. Guess I'll just keep hoping. :-(
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GDRV has stated (many times) that they don't have wiring or plumbing schematics or drawings. Not saying that I have ever believed this . . . but I have been told this face-to-face by an assembly foreman, the service center manager and more than one company executive. The documentation rules for towables are definitely more open to interpretation than the rules for motor vehicles (motorhomes included). You would think that RVIA requirements would help with this . . . but, they don't.

If you enter "drawings" into the search tool in the upper right corner of this forum, you will find many discussions on this topic. This is a good place to start for some of the discussion history https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...light=drawings

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast