Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tedzz9;141405]
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    and drinking less alcohol.[/QUOTE]

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yea I know, the only upside is you don't need to drink the same amount at altitude to have a similar affect.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me get this straight. When you get high you drink less to get as high as you were when you were low? Could be a win - win.

As a lowlander I experienced some of the symptoms of altitude sickness when visiting friends in Denver. They took us to Pikes Peak the next day. Short of breath, ringing ears, headache, weak and a little queasy. Zero altitude to 14,000ft in 24hrs was a bit much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copied from Stroke.org

Use F.A.S.T. to Remember the Warning Signs of a Stroke

F stands for face FACE: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
    A stands for arms ARMS: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
    S stands for speech SPEECH: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is their speech slurred or strange?
    T stands for time TIME: If you observe any of these signs, call 9-1-1 immediately.
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My wife and I would attend a CPR class for sure.
    This thread has prompted me to look into buying an AED.
    Thanks!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would definitely attend a CPR (etc.) class. Would it be possible to offer this at the Rally?

Another little preparedness task: When we pull into a campground, I locate the nearest hospital, fire dept., police dept., and walk-in clinic -- and jot down their phone #s and addresses, plus log them into my cell maps.

Thanks for the reminder that beefing up our emergency, medical, and SHTF supplies and knowledge is on this year's must-do list. An AED, too. I was trained to use it at my work, but fortunately did not need to use it.
    E and J, on the road, counting stars and looking for America
    2017 Reflection 303rls
    2010 F250 SD Lariat FX4 Off Road 6.4L TurboDiesel CC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that on the first page of this thread someone mention that giving breaths of air is no longer required. Not quite true. Also someone else mention that they haven't taken the CPR course since 2009 and was stating things that they had learned and/or knew. We have to be careful on what we state on this forum to others.

As a coach on the high school level for the past 18 years I HAVE TO take CPR classes every two years. Just took the class again last month. The issue about giving breaths has come and gone several times since I have been taking the class. Last month they were teaching to give the burst of breaths again, however it was the individual option do to possible diseases that could be contracted. So this class was taught using the breath technics. However again, it was also stated by the instructor that it was going to be discontinued (again) in the teaching of the class this spring. Reason being blowing air our of your lungs into someone eases lungs would probably generate only 15% oxygen or less. Not of great value compare to risk factors.

Even when I take these classes, which are on the base level, I run home to tell my wife (a registered nurse) all that I have learned again and she hits me with all kinds of information. First responders, nurses, doctors, and those in the medical field are taught a more advance procedures that we are at the base level.

My point being is every two years that I take the class something changes even so slightly. Each class has a new improved (better) AED available with the cost continuing to come down. So yes, everyone should seek out a class and take the course. Even if you never need to preform CPR on a stranger, it may be a love one that will need you help.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    I notice that on the first page of this thread someone mention that giving breaths of air is no longer required. Not quite true. Also someone else mention that they haven't taken the CPR course since 2009 and was stating things that they had learned and/or knew. We have to be careful on what we state on this forum to others.

As a coach on the high school level for the past 18 years I HAVE TO take CPR classes every two years. Just took the class again last month. The issue about giving breaths has come and gone several times since I have been taking the class. Last month they were teaching to give the burst of breaths again, however it was the individual option do to possible diseases that could be contracted. So this class was taught using the breath technics. However again, it was also stated by the instructor that it was going to be discontinued (again) in the teaching of the class this spring. Reason being blowing air our of your lungs into someone eases lungs would probably generate only 15% oxygen or less. Not of great value compare to risk factors.

Even when I take these classes, which are on the base level, I run home to tell my wife (a registered nurse) all that I have learned again and she hits me with all kinds of information. First responders, nurses, doctors, and those in the medical field are taught a more advance procedures that we are at the base level.

My point being is every two years that I take the class something changes even so slightly. Each class has a new improved (better) AED available with the cost continuing to come down. So yes, everyone should seek out a class and take the course. Even if you never need to preform CPR on a stranger, it may be a love one that will need you help.
    Awesome points, thanks!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    The idea of carrying an AED is very appealing. I did a quick look at Amazon.com and they seem to start around $1200 and go up. Ebay, though, has used and reconditioned units starting at a couple of hundred bucks and going up from there. I have to wonder if a used unit, with fresh battery, might be a good value. Anyone know anything about them?
    First time poster, but I've followed this forum for a bit. I was looking for first aid kit info when I stumbled across this thread.

There's a ton of good info here IMO, but I wanted to suggest that instead of ebay or even Amazon where some of the sales can be from less than reputable distributors, it might be worth looking at some of the major retailers. (moderator removed commercial links as this runs against our rules)

moderator removed content of a commercial nature. The posting member basically suggest shopping at known/good companies in order to likely get good support when/if nneded

Additional moderator comment: members with few (or no) posts who enter URL links get put into a moderation section that requires review before posting. That was the case here.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-08-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: commercial links removed by moderator

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can buy refurbished AEDs for about half price of a new one. Would want to make sure it has new pads and batteries though. I think if it were too old it wouldn't be good, but otherwise the FDA is in oversight now so the refurbs should be good.
    Worth having, definitely if you are older or at risk for one reason or another.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the amount of time you have to fetch an AED (each minute counts), even if you know where it is in a campground setting it really seems to me you need to have one yourself. Shop carefully for a used refurbished model if you can find one and save about half the cost I think. Just make sure it has been recertified and has new pads and batteries.
    Heartfelt best wishes (heh)!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast